Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AUTRONIC vs ALL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow AUTRONIC vs ALL

What will you say about - Autronic SM2 Full Standalone ECU for the Mitsubishi EVO8 with Anti-lag and AutoTune. Is it the best in comperison with AEM , XEDE, UTEC?
Old Jan 18, 2004, 09:21 PM
Tsi

Antilag has been known to burn up valves.
well it did in the gsx i had with the smc on it.
if you were to go this way, get a way to monitor knock
Old Jan 18, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

antilag destroys ur turbo...
Old Jan 19, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Autronics comes in with laptop software in English.. all the japanese ones dont.. e.g. HKS F-CON Pro, Blitz ECU, Tomei ECU..etc They all have similar functions... (top of the range ones i.e.) and its up to the tuner to gain the maximum benefits from it...

Also, I heard that the Autronics is coming out with a telemetric system that allows you to tune your car while someone is driving it from a distance of up to 3 miles away so you can sit in your comfy airconditioned room while someone is sweating away in the driving seat on the track

And it comes with

1) Anti lag - you dont have to use it
2) Launch Control - you dont need it coz your running 4x4
3) Auto tune - err.. wont be a good as a good tuner

Last edited by Angel Of Mercy; Jan 19, 2004 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 09:34 PM
Former Sponsor

sorry about the long story

Heard you were having some probs with a M3 in your area ;-) Talk to the boys at Buschur and do what I did to the M3's on a road course (I lapped 4 out of the 7) 1.4 mile course 20 minute sessions.

I went road racing with NASA today HPDE class 4 in Glendale AZ I passed every M3 (7 from intake/exhaust mods to lowered and strutted) every STI/WRX (2) every Porsche (2/914-6s 2/944 Turbos a couple of 911's and a 911R and a completely tracked out 944 turbo with racing rubber/full cage and stripped interior. Now the 2 vette z06s... If I started in front of the "stocker" I could put time on him if I was behind he couldn't get away but I couldn't pass him (to fast on the straights... main straight =125 on the rev limiter in my EVO) The z06 with 40K in mods and hoosier track rubber could put about 2 car lengths in a 1.4mile lap (but I would catch him everytime we hit traffic ;-) ). Every one of the German and American Iron drivers wanted to know "what the hell have you done to that motor" I just loved telling them $3,000.00 in BOLT_ON mods from buschur racing they were amazed (half didn't believe me and wanted to know who built the race motor/which cams/cam gears HKS-Jun-works etc!)every one of those disbelivers made me open the hood so the could see for themselves.... and then just walked away shaking their heads thinking 35K 4 door sedan/rice rocket/fat/gray/46yo driver with a stock motor, stock suspension, rear sway bar and bolt ons just passed my expensive track day car?( I'm thinking THANK YOU DAVID TYM JEROD and everyone else at Buschur Racing that I don't know, Vivid Racing for the sway bar, grounding kit, SS breaklines, fuel rail, battery relocate kit and the toyo's Dan, Rob, Mike and Shane). The rest of the guys on EvoM may just think you guys just build drag racing parts.... I know much better now.
PS I took out the IC sprayer because you don't need it with your FMIC (and I didn't want the extra 30 lbs in the front end) no loss in power/ drop in laptimes over each 20 minute session! Water temp rock solid too (dropping the top of the IC very smart more cool air to the radiator).
One very satisfied Customer!!!!!!

Buschur Stage 4 rocks!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Now that's a story i liked hearing.... Strike up one notch for Burshur Racing.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

SO WHAT IS BETTER AUTRONIC OR AEM?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 05:44 AM

Saying one ECU is better over the other is asking for a flamewars. Each and every ECU has their own merits and the most important thing to base a buying decision is support in terms of tuning and troubleshooting in your area. There is no point in getting a top of the line Autronic if you don't have access to an experienced Autronic tuners and support personnels.

Based on our experience here in the far east, australian ecus and tuners are widely used and have been quite a success story many time over. Japanese ECU albeit superior in terms of specifications and functions are not as common due to the lack of tuning software availability to the general publics and it's expensive to get custom tuners from HKS, JUN, TOMEI to fly down to tune the cars and furthermore, they won't be there in cases of support after the car has been tuned.

So check around your local area for experienced tuners and see what ECU they are using and also talk to the other EVO owners who has been tuned and hear what they say.

A good ECU is only as good as a good tuners.

Having said all that, Autronic has been proven their worths in gold over here among the WRX, STI's and EVO3,4,5,6,7,8. Go for the plug n play board. G'luck.

http://www.autronic.com/specials.html
Old Jan 20, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Yaroslav
SO WHAT IS BETTER AUTRONIC OR AEM?
autronic is way better then AEM, just like motec is better then autronic
Old Jan 20, 2004, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Just get Buschur's Stage 4 ($4,000.00)a widband O2 meter ($400.00) and their reflash (you use the AFC to retrim for racing fuel...) another $400.00 and you will be with in 15 hp (396 vs371) but the reflashed factory ECU makes 25 lbs more torque (what you need to beat other high torque cars)... Check out Dave's posts on his new reflash option.

Just the stand alone will usually be about $1700+ and then about $800-$1200 for the tuner/dynotime... you will still need the other suporting mods... for an extra 1-3% more HP? Spend that money on light wheels and go even faster.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 08:57 AM

Also don't forget that Autronic does not have knock retard, AEM does. Basically it all depends what your goals are and the person who tunes it. You can have the best standalone out there as far a features go but if the person who tunes it does a crappy job, well you have one crappy running car.

Alex...
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by maki

autronic is way better then AEM, just like motec is better then autronic

how about providing some information to back yourself up..

as far as price and capabilities the ems cant be beat. no rewiring required, no changing of the factory sensor is necessary. and you get knock retard and a few other things autotronic cant do.

as for auto tune.... thats a bandaid for a bad tuner
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Where can i buy MOTEC?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Wadzii

how about providing some information to back yourself up..

as far as price and capabilities the ems cant be beat. no rewiring required, no changing of the factory sensor is necessary. and you get knock retard and a few other things autotronic cant do.

as for auto tune.... thats a bandaid for a bad tuner
for a guy who wants 350hp on a stock turbo it doesnt make sense to over pay for autronic or motec, but if youre looking for serious power theres no way around it you gotta pay
Old Jan 20, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by maki

for a guy who wants 350hp on a stock turbo it doesnt make sense to over pay for autronic or motec, but if youre looking for serious power theres no way around it you gotta pay
so how does that make autotronic better than EMS?

Quick Reply: AUTRONIC vs ALL