Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My car randomly started running like crap today.....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Delete

EDIT:
was just too much fuel injector cleaner in the tank messing with the tune, once i ran though that tank, running normal again!

Last edited by Nelson999; May 6, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when did you have your timing belt replaced last?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Check your EGR hose connections, IC piping, MAF sensor plug. Sounds like it should be something simple that came loose.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Thatonekid - I don't think the timing belt has ever been done
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Check engine light on? Pull the codes and look at the fuel trims if you can. What was the vacuum before and when it was happening? Any difference?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

CEL was not on
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nelson999
alright so my car is a 05 MR. its running on E85, basically the mods are bolt ons, fuel pump, 1000cc injectors.

so yesterday i drove my car to lunch, and then to get beer later in the day, probably around 6pm. car ran fine, everything was good. been sitting at my buddies since that time, untill today when i get into it and start it up to come home, i let it idle to warm up, everything seems normal for like the first 20 seconds its running, then all of a sudden it starts running terrible, so bad that the entire car is shaking. giving it a little gas made it want to die, and makes it sound even worse. it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders or something. i was only going from my buddies house to my house (about a 3 mile drive) so i limped it home, by the time i got into my garage to further investigate, the misfire was gone and it seemed to be running normal again. wtf?

a few random facts:
its pretty cold right now when this just happened (46 degrees)
i filled up with a full tank of E85 yesterday on the way to my buddies, and put in Lucas fuel system cleaner for the first time since switching to E85.
i have never had any issues like this since the E85 tune.

any ideas?
It could be a number of things, really just too little information to narrow it down IMO.

I had an issue recently and thought it could be a number of things turbo, motor, etc... wound up being a cam sensor... You just never know

Originally Posted by ThatOneKid
when did you have your timing belt replaced last?
It isnt your timing belt, if there was something wrong with the timing belt you would have catastrophic damage more than likely and it wouldnt even run from bending valves smashing pistons etc...

I agree with the other post to check all your connections to see if it was something that just came loose.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelson999
alright so my car is a 05 MR. its running on E85, basically the mods are bolt ons, fuel pump, 1000cc injectors.

so yesterday i drove my car to lunch, and then to get beer later in the day, probably around 6pm. car ran fine, everything was good. been sitting at my buddies since that time, untill today when i get into it and start it up to come home, i let it idle to warm up, everything seems normal for like the first 20 seconds its running, then all of a sudden it starts running terrible, so bad that the entire car is shaking. giving it a little gas made it want to die, and makes it sound even worse. it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders or something. i was only going from my buddies house to my house (about a 3 mile drive) so i limped it home, by the time i got into my garage to further investigate, the misfire was gone and it seemed to be running normal again. wtf?

a few random facts:
its pretty cold right now when this just happened (46 degrees)
i filled up with a full tank of E85 yesterday on the way to my buddies, and put in Lucas fuel system cleaner for the first time since switching to E85.
i have never had any issues like this since the E85 tune.

any ideas?
Could be E85 sludge/debris clogging an injector? None of the other suggestions have explained why it stopped running like crap randomly after driving it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

^well I did just fill up with e85 and used Lucas fuel system cleaner on the last drive before this problem occurred....
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:05 PM

Sounds like bad gas? Check if the fuel injector cleaner is even comparable with e85 before throwing it in. I say, top off the car with fresh e85.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

The Lucas fuel system cleaner I used said compatible with any grade gas and ethanol
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Mine usually does that when it's cold outside i let it warm up for 10 min or so and runs good after that.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

^well i was kind of thinking that too, but ive also driven it in just as cold weather recently and didnt have any problem like this.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

so i started the car up again, idled fine for about 5 minutes, gave it a couple of revs up to 3k RPM and everything was fine, then it started running like crap again like its on 3 cylinders!! this sucks
Old Mar 1, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do agree to check the timing belt. Although i do agree with 06MRV8KILLER, a snapped timing belt causes catastrophic damages. Most of the time a bad timing belt will be picked up by crank/cam sensors and wont even let the car turn on.However, a loose timing belt with a lot of miles can still contribute to the problem. I know so because this has happened to me (on pump) Car would idle and backfire quite a bit, like it was running on dirty gas. Since you have never changed the belt, how many miles are on the motor? Checking the timing is not too difficult to do.

Also, OP have you checked the basics? Have you checked the plugs, coils, and wires?

Quick Reply: My car randomly started running like crap today.....