Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ams 2.3rr reliability and questions :)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ams 2.3rr reliability and questions :)

Hey guys,

Been looking into the AMS 2.3rr for quite sometime.. almost 2 years now... but wanted to get some info about reliability and service requirement needs and such. Anything I should know about this engine before purchasing? Any horror storries? I have called Ams multiple times and spent well over 2 hours on the phone with them in regards to the engine and whats needed and such. From what i can tell, this engine seems bomb proof and an all around amazing engine. With talking to AMS... they make me feel that my choice of engine power plant is the right choice for me. My only main concern is how low boost they reccomend with this engine...20-21 psi on 93 9.5:1 and under 20 psi on 93 for 10:1... I was looking to go 10:1 to pick up low end torque to make up for later spool of the 3586. Why is boost reccomendation so low? Why can a regular 2.3l run more boost? Is it to do with it being a destroked 4g64? The veeks is finally off the road and pretty much need info asap so i can pull the trigger and get my build going. I am looking for any info from the community and from people actually running the engine. The engine has been out for quite sometime but with minimal info from the community and people running it.

I have read this thread but not much info came forward from people running the 2.3rr...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ams-2-3rr.html

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Or should I do a br 2.3rpm build and call it a day??

Dont want to make the wrong choice.. vehicle will be a daily driver that will see more and more track days..
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:00 PM

I don't have either brand, but I built my own 10:1 2.3l. I weekend race it regularly. Drive it here and there, but It's been stout for about 6k mi now. I run 25psi @556awhp on 93oct when i drive around and 40psi @779awhp on c16 on the weekends. I guess maintenance and driving style will be your biggest factor to how long it's going to last you? I change plugs and oil religiously. Usually every 800-1000 mi of driving or once a month. I also change both after I have made a days worth of runs. I would expect my motor to last 25-30k mi of straight abuse. In the meantime, slowly build the next long lock as a hobby. That way, when it goes, you have less downtime and money to spend. Good luck.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I cant comment in a 2.3RR but I've been running their 2.3 for over 15k miles at 24psi on 93oct and 32psi on 110oct, and I've been extremely satisfied! Their work is top notch but you already knew that.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks alot for the input guys, it is greatly appreciated. As for maintenance, oil changes every 4000-5000 km i have been doing (with stock engine). But will change the oil how ever often as AMS or buschur reccommeds if need be sooner than i am doing already. After any track day i will be performing an oil change, better safe than sorry. I will have to get in the habbit of changing plugs with oil changes. I am not an overly agressive driver... i dont launch my car and dont over rev either. No plans of that changing! Great advice guys! AMS products are always flawless!
Thanks again
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

The lower boost recommendation is not because of the 2.3, its because of the higher static compression coupled with 93 octane. Higher compression is great if you take advantage of it by running higher octane fuel. Just because you run lower boost/higher compression doesn't mean you cant as much power as lower compression/higher boost. It all comes down to the Volumetric Efficiency of the engine.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by casper980
The lower boost recommendation is not because of the 2.3, its because of the higher static compression coupled with 93 octane. Higher compression is great if you take advantage of it by running higher octane fuel. Just because you run lower boost/higher compression doesn't mean you cant as much power as lower compression/higher boost. It all comes down to the Volumetric Efficiency of the engine.

Thanks for the info. I am well aware that the reasons behind having to run lower boost on a 2.3 10:1; especially in order to run safe and knock free whem compared to lower compression ratio engines. That being said i was surprised that the ams 2.3rr 10:1 is only recommended to run under 20psi... I was expecting to run around 28 psi give or take to run safe. I run strictly with 94 octane. I was thinking it may have to do with the destroked 4g64 that ams uses? When compared to a normal 2.3 that can run more than 20 psi of boost safely. I am looking to do a 2.3l in order to increase displacement as the obvious, but more importantly to help spool my 3586. The idea of running 10:1 is to help with the low end torque before the turbo kicks in to make the most effienet power band. As most of here want the best of both worlds...high hp with less lag and a rev happy engine with higher displacement to spool a bigger turbo. Just my thoughts... Although I could be very wrong on this matter
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

If you are going to run pump at all, don't run 10:1. Its that simple. You will not be disappointed with AMS's 2.3rr. Amazing motor.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SDevo13
If you are going to run pump at all, don't run 10:1. Its that simple. You will not be disappointed with AMS's 2.3rr. Amazing motor.
agreed. If this is going to be your DD, just forget 10:1.
And my friend has the Bushur 2.3 or 2.4 (one of those) and he has abused the crap out of it for 2 years now. He changes the oil and plugs every 2k or right before a big event.
He retunes it twice a year as well. He loves the car, and has not looked back since.

I personally think that when you buy a reputable motor from a reputable company (bushur, ams, etc) you simply cant go wrong.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SDevo13
I appreciate your opinion guys... but i cant help but want to venture to 10:1. Nothing but positive things with higher crs.. as long as the octane can support it... especially when Buschur says

"The DSM's came with 7.8:1 compression. We tried even less than that at one point, not good. Then we went to 8.5:1, then to 9.5:1 in all the DSM's. Everyone thought we were nuts 15+ years ago doing that. Now we are at 10:1+ and the engines are better than ever. I can tell you for a fact running 11.5:1 compression on 93-94 octane at 33-34 psi isn't a problem with the right set up and it's FAST!!! "--- found here

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-build-3.html

The ams 2.3rr is an outstanind motor from what i see and i would have already been purchased late last year if it could only hold more boost safely at 10:1 or even 9.5:1...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

You have two people answering you with ams assembled 2.3s who make good numbers on pump at low boost NOT running 10:1 and making over 700whp on higher octane fuels (I'll be over 800 with new cams). I'm not sure what you are looking for someone to say. AMS specifically told you what you should and shouldn't do with their motor...I don't get it.

If you are hung up on pump and high compression call buschur about their 2.3rpm and ask about running 30+ psi on 10:1 and pump gas...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Yet again I greatly appreciate any input from anyone, especially from members like yourself who actually run with these engines or engines close to these . High octane numbers are pointless to me, no offence... just when talking about pump gas only, those numbers are high but just not for me. Realistically looking for a reliable 600whp (ballpark) on pump if at all possible but will settle for 550 or so... After talking to AMS they have made me feel confident in my choice but believe that my power goals will be hard to achieve. I am pretty dead set on 10:1; but like AMS and you guys have so kindly informed and reccomended me to do, 9.25 might be the better choice for lower 94 octane daily driver purposes. Not looking for anyone to say anything in particular?? Since getting AMS' input, just wanted input and info about the ams engine from the community and how it is stacking up since being released with little buzz over the last few years. In no regards have i meant to offend you and in no means want to start any arguments. By the way you have one extremly clean evo, nice build! Early congrats on getting to 800 when you get those cams.

I will be giving Buschur a call and continue decision from there...

Thanks again
Old Mar 2, 2012, 02:02 AM
Evolved Member

Not offended in the least. Just trying to figure out why you are trying to run 10:1 if you are only going to run pump gas. That compression is specifically for taking advantage of e85 or race fuel. You will not see gains in power going to 10:1 due to the fact that you can't run as much boost. As far as power numbers, even on 93 I'm making between 550-560whp (Dynojet) on a conservative road race tune - low boost (24psi), not timing maxed, 9:1 compression, and richer afrs. On a street tune (or even with the new cams) i would be at your goal of 600whp on pump. Just saying you don't need 10:1 if you aren't going to be running race gas/e85/e98 the majority of the time.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 2.3rpm will yield the best powerband by far. Now days you might as well run as much compression as you can get, Buschur built a 2.0 11.5-1 motor for my Talon, it was broke in on 93 octane at 30 psi or so making 650whp, then on E85 made 811/672 at 34 psi(9.1@160.3), the compression seems to allow you to run less boost to make power. Ive run my Evo at close to 35 psi on pump gas also no issues or knock.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRE
The 2.3rpm will yield the best powerband by far. Now days you might as well run as much compression as you can get, Buschur built a 2.0 11.5-1 motor for my Talon, it was broke in on 93 octane at 30 psi or so making 650whp, then on E85 made 811/672 at 34 psi(9.1@160.3), the compression seems to allow you to run less boost to make power. Ive run my Evo at close to 35 psi on pump gas also no issues or knock.
^^^wow thats impressive

Well guys thank you kindly for your responses

I have a buschur 2.3 rpm motor being built!! For the price and quality, you just cant beat buschurs 2.3rpm when compared to the 2.3rr. I am so glad I heard about this engine, I was a click away from purchasing the 2.3rr. But will be nothing less then proud to say I will be Buschur built

Engine is as follows:
2.3rpm with new lightweight crank
Buschur stage 3 head
Bronze valve guides and inconel exhaust valves
gsc s2 cams
Buschur baffled oil pan and cosworth crank scraper

Should be bad *** in comparisson to my stock 2.0 lol

Thanks again to David, Jarrod and Nick to answering all my questions and getting my build going. I know I am in good hands!!!!

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Ams 2.3rr reliability and questions :)