Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Compressor Surge Problem!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
sounds like you are describing a dejon tool stop leak kit that is designed for the stock 9 dv. i tried one, and it would cause the dv to flutter at part throttle when trying to hold boost around the value that the pressure switch would operate.
Yes, that was referenced in post #19. Strange that you report the valve fluttered because when you block off the bottom port on a IX BOV you lose the pressure on the bottom side of the diaphram helping to open the valve and the effect is the valve doesn't budge during part throttle acceleration. Because the surface area of the diaphram is larger than the surface area of the valve the result is the valve will stay closed. I blocked off my BOV and it surged badly and would only open with abrupt throttle closings.

To the OP, unplug the hose going to your BOV and temporarity cap the line, but leaving the blowoff valve fitting open. Go drive the car and see if if the surge is eliminated and let us know the results.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote=mrfred;10016707]my guess is not surge but instead the bov fluttering. its a pretty common issue that can show up at different rpm/boost combos depending on turbo, bov, spring, preload ... a different bov/dv may mostly eliminate it or move it to a different rpm/boost combo. even though i don't think its surge, i think wingless has the best solution provided that your wga can provide the needed part-throttle boost reduction. most people are running 18+ psi wga actuators that can't provide the necessary lower boost.

Hi Mrfred,
do you mean i should lower my WG spring rate? Im running dual spring which my lowest boost pressure is 1.3 bar and currently im running at 1.6 bar.

If i switch off my B/C ive no issue on surge or engine judder during partial lift off.

What is the best option i should try now?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
Yes, that was referenced in post #19. Strange that you report the valve fluttered because when you block off the bottom port on a IX BOV you lose the pressure on the bottom side of the diaphram helping to open the valve and the effect is the valve doesn't budge during part throttle acceleration. Because the surface area of the diaphram is larger than the surface area of the valve the result is the valve will stay closed. I blocked off my BOV and it surged badly and would only open with abrupt throttle closings.

To the OP, unplug the hose going to your BOV and temporarity cap the line, but leaving the blowoff valve fitting open. Go drive the car and see if if the surge is eliminated and let us know the results.
Hi 240Z,
yes ive tried capping of the bov line and whenever the boost start to come, the bov will just open. Cant even tell is the surge goes away or not.
My bov setup is direct tapping to the intake and have tried unpluging the silicon hosefrom the intake to my bov but the bov will just open when boost start...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
[QUOTE=jameswwt;10019078]
my guess is not surge but instead the bov fluttering. its a pretty common issue that can show up at different rpm/boost combos depending on turbo, bov, spring, preload ... a different bov/dv may mostly eliminate it or move it to a different rpm/boost combo. even though i don't think its surge, i think wingless has the best solution provided that your wga can provide the needed part-throttle boost reduction. most people are running 18+ psi wga actuators that can't provide the necessary lower boost.

Hi Mrfred,
do you mean i should lower my WG spring rate? Im running dual spring which my lowest boost pressure is 1.3 bar and currently im running at 1.6 bar.

If i switch off my B/C ive no issue on surge or engine judder during partial lift off.

What is the best option i should try now?

Thanks
Are you running a tephra v7 ROM?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

[quote=mrfred;10019193]
Originally Posted by jameswwt

Are you running a tephra v7 ROM?
No Mrfred..
Im on Pfc at the moment and mine is an Evo 5...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:48 AM
EvoM Guru

No Mrfred..
Im on Pfc at the moment and mine is an Evo 5...
Without a throttle-based boost control option, your only choice is to try different BOV/DVs to see which one works best for your setup.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
Hi 240Z,
yes ive tried capping of the bov line and whenever the boost start to come, the bov will just open. Cant even tell is the surge goes away or not.
My bov setup is direct tapping to the intake and have tried unpluging the silicon hosefrom the intake to my bov but the bov will just open when boost start...
On my car I get bad shutter/surge at part throttle acceleration at the 5psi range. When I unplugged the BOV line a few days ago I could boost the same 5psi, but the surge was gone. With that said, I have a 10psi spring in the bov so anything below 10psi would hold boost (granted there was leakage).

In my case the ability to lightly vent the BOV in that condition resolves the issue, but I am still left with the challenge of how I make that happen.

As MrFred has stated, without trying to control boost/vacuum to the BOV you will likely have to try a different BOV to resolve your issue. Good Luck.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
On my car I get bad shutter/surge at part throttle acceleration at the 5psi range.
tried the -3psi spring yet? No point in running a -10psi spring if you're recirc-ing.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you Guys truly appreciate for your kind sharing & advise.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Without a throttle-based boost control option, your only choice is to try different BOV/DVs to see which one works best for your setup.
Hi Mrfred,
what Bov do you suggest? and any link for the throttle-based boost control bov?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Hi Mrfred,
what Bov do you suggest? and any link for the throttle-based boost control bov?
By throttle-based boost control, I meant throttle-based WGDC control that tephra put into his v7 ROMs.

I'm not much of an expert on BOVs. I've only ever tried stock and the Synapse DV. I can say that the Synapse DV has a ton of adjustability. Lot's of people seem to like the TiAl Q valve. I've heard good things about the Cobb XLE DV/BOV.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

By throttle-based boost control, I meant throttle-based WGDC control that tephra put into his v7 ROMs.

I'm not much of an expert on BOVs. I've only ever tried stock and the Synapse DV. I can say that the Synapse DV has a ton of adjustability. Lot's of people seem to like the TiAl Q valve. I've heard good things about the Cobb XLE DV/BOV.
Thanks...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I finally switch off my profec b II b/c and you guys know wat?

My car runs smooth like butter even thou my boost now is 1.4 bar and the turbo response is slightly slower but no surge and the power is "MASSIVE"! After PITA for more than a year and after my upgrades, this is the 1st time i really enjoy my car with such smoothness and power...

Should i switch on the b/c again and lower the boost to 1.4bar?
The reason is, if i switch on the b/c i might get the turbo to response faster.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently replaced the spring in my tial 50mm bov. It came I painted and I swapped it out to the black one. Its their lowest spring rate. Now the bov will remain open at idle and closes under load like it should. Also, if you haven't already, I'd try changing out the hose to the bov for a reinforced hose like they use for fuel injection and make a dedicated line from IM to bov.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone.. I am currently having the same problem.. 03 evo 8 GSR.. Changed the BOV and new vacuum line.. Drives fine until about 6-7k rpm, then BOV abruptly releases as if I let off the throttle completely, but I didn't. Every gear in high RPMS.

Service light code says "turbo over boost"..

Any ideas anyone? Thank you guys much!