Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Compressor Surge Problem!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compressor Surge Problem!

Hi,
im hoping to get some tips on how to overcome my compressor surge problem.

ATP GT3076R
GSC S2
2.0L engine with stock head & intake
Turbosmart Race Port Bov

When partial lift off at higer rpm (around 5500~6000rpm) engine will judder massively and if WOT all the way no plm at all.
Only happen when partial lift off.

Been told that it cant really be solve as the turbo is supplying more air than the engine can consume.

Is there any other way to overcome this problem by not asking me to go stroker?

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2012, 01:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Yes, you can cause the bov to leak in this condition creating a place for that air to go. Ive said it before, but people get thier panties in a bunch when you offer that a bov that leaks under part throttle and transient situations is a good thing. With certain valves this cannot be accomplished. Its a relationship between pressure differential and spring rate. Greddy type s is a good example.

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Mar 2, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Yes, you can cause the bov to leak in this condition creating a place for that air to go. Ive said it before, but people get thier panties in a bunch when you offer that a bov that leaks under part throttle and transient situations is a good thing. With certain valves this cannot be accomplished. Its a relationship between pressure differential and spring rate. Greddy type s is a good example.
Thanks for sharing, but when im on a softer spring rate i am facing premature leak when on full boost and currently ive added stiffer springs (dual springs) and the premature leak on my bov resolved but again the surge is still exist!

Do you mean i should try using Greddy type S or R bov to overcome my surge problem?

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2012, 06:35 PM
EvoM Guru

There has to be a spring rate or preload inbetween what youve tried. Are you saying premature leak is happening at a wot situation?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
There has to be a spring rate or preload inbetween what youve tried. Are you saying premature leak is happening at a wot situation?
Yes, i faced premature boost leak on the bov when on a softer spring and ive tried few springs rate combination and its still dont work.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Do you have a type s or a metal oem valve you could try. My txs rfl caused wicked high rpm compressor surge exactly like you described.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jameswwt
Is there any other way to overcome this problem by not asking me to go stroker?

Thanks
lol, boost control. V7 gear dependant WGDC.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

When i switch off my profec b II bc the surge goes away and im boosting at wg spring rate pressure - 1.3 bar

You mean i should try a evo 8 or 9 oem metal bov?

Will changing bov to greddy type r able to overcome the surge issue?

I hv even adjust my bc gain to the lowest as its still occur.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switch to a new style 50mm tail BOV or even recirc one this should definitely fix your problem tail makes great products!

-nick
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Will consider Nick advise.

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Any other sharing?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 315 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally Posted by nickyboost
Switch to a new style 50mm tail BOV or even recirc one this should definitely fix your problem tail makes great products!

-nick
unfortunately, this will not likely solve the problem. My surge issues started when I swapped from the stock IX BOV to the Tial recirculating. You need to use a dual port (like stock IX) to promote valve opening at part throttle low boost acceleration. Unfortunately, dual port will likely open under full boost due to the balance of pressure across the top/bottom of the actuator.

I am working on a fix for this using a hobbs switch and naturally open solenoid. The thought is to have the bottom port open under normal driving and have the bottom port cut off above a certain boost level. This will make it like a standard top port bov such as the TIAL unit.

Good BOV option are the old HKS racing or Greddy Type S.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
unfortunately, this will not likely solve the problem. My surge issues started when I swapped from the stock IX BOV to the Tial recirculating. You need to use a dual port (like stock IX) to promote valve opening at part throttle low boost acceleration. Unfortunately, dual port will likely open under full boost due to the balance of pressure across the top/bottom of the actuator.

I am working on a fix for this using a hobbs switch and naturally open solenoid. The thought is to have the bottom port open under normal driving and have the bottom port cut off above a certain boost level. This will make it like a standard top port bov such as the TIAL unit.

Good BOV option are the old HKS racing or Greddy Type S.
Hi 240Z, so you mean by using better bov such as Greddy Type S or R will most likely solved my Surge?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jameswwt
When i switch off my profec b II bc the surge goes away and im boosting at wg spring rate pressure - 1.3 bar

You mean i should try a evo 8 or 9 oem metal bov?

Will changing bov to greddy type r able to overcome the surge issue?

I hv even adjust my bc gain to the lowest as its still occur.
I have the same issue with my profec b spec II boost controller. It surges while it's on but when I switch it off everything seems fine.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, ive just check and confirmed that the surge comes whenever my boost reaches 1.4bar regardless of any rpm. Its comes even at 4000rpm.

Will this means we need a softer spring or harder WG spring?

Quick Reply: Compressor Surge Problem!