Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 turbo or Fp white?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 turbo or Fp white?

Hi, I'm new here, I mostly search and not post here but wanted to ask a question.

I'm looking at upgrading my 2003 evo, currently it has stock turbo and I wanted to get an evo 9 turbo. It's a street car and I like the power it has now but wanted a more efficient and more powerfull evo9 turbo. I might switch to e85 in the summer.
Now it seems like the going rate on these is 500-600. I found an Fp white for Few hundred more.
What one should I get? Also benefits and power difference between the two would help. I have a stock block and want to keep it that way, car might have cams (need to double check)

Thanks for you help.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think there is a big enough difference between the two to even pay a couple of hundred dollars more. If you are patient or post a thread I am pretty sure you can get a evo 9 turbo for 400.00 shipped maybe even less.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

So what's the difference between them? I can't post yet and I can't get my post cont up because I mainly use search for my questions. Lol.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

Also where can I get valve cover gasket? I'm goIng to pull off my valve cover to see what type of cams my car has. It idles a hair above 1k but not perfectly smooth though.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Once you buy the FP White and add in porting and the upgraded wastegate, you are in the $1,350 range before taxes.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m..._Code=Turbo-FP

Since you are running the EVO VIII turbo, you will also have to buy the installation kit which is another near $200. Total thus far is $1,550 before taxes. Now you are nearly getting in the range of some of the larger stock frame turbos (i.e. BBK, EF3/4, FP Red/Black).

At the end of the day:

Stock VIII turbo to stock IX turbo = YES
Stock IX turbo to FP White = NO
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlavaGC8
Also where can I get valve cover gasket? I'm goIng to pull off my valve cover to see what type of cams my car has. It idles a hair above 1k but not perfectly smooth though.
you can reuse it if its in good condition.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by localtoys73
you can reuse it if its in good condition.
Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If not in a big rush, get the valve cover gasket from a vendor. Mitsubishiparts.net,etc

As for the turbo. You will need the IX lines and outlet pipe to put it on your 8.

Also, you will need a tune, don't forget about that!

Good luck
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
Once you buy the FP White and add in porting and the upgraded wastegate, you are in the $1,350 range before taxes.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m..._Code=Turbo-FP

Since you are running the EVO VIII turbo, you will also have to buy the installation kit which is another near $200. Total thus far is $1,550 before taxes. Now you are nearly getting in the range of some of the larger stock frame turbos (i.e. BBK, EF3/4, FP Red/Black).

At the end of the day:

Stock VIII turbo to stock IX turbo = YES
Stock IX turbo to FP White = NO
I have stock VIII turbo.
Found Fp for $800 think it comes with lines and j-pipe. But install kit is less from lancershop site.

I'm a bit worried with green or black. I have stock block and not sure how laggy those will be.

Last edited by SlavaGC8; Mar 3, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
If not in a big rush, get the valve cover gasket from a vendor. Mitsubishiparts.net,etc

As for the turbo. You will need the IX lines and outlet pipe to put it on your 8.

Also, you will need a tune, don't forget about that!

Good luck
Thanks. I'll order a gasket from them. I will doing 60k service myself so will be getting those parts too along with all fluids.

My friend will look over the tune and I'll probably dial it in myself using ecu flash.

I'm coming from Subaru platform so I have lots to learn.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone went from 9 to white? Notice any difference? It's mostly street car. Possibly few drag strip passes, few auto-x and open track day.

Another reason that I don't really want a green/black yet is because stock turbo can run low 12 high 11 and with my wife mostly driving I think it's plenty for her. Trying to make sure she won't have too much power.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would do it a bit differently. Leave the turbo as is for the time being(Do you know whether your VIII turbo has the 10.5 housing or the 9.8?). Since you are eventually planning to switch to E-85 anyway, you might as well do the switch now. Buy the larger injectors(1450's). Install a WALBRO 255, if you don't have one already. Finally, get an E85 tune.

The switch to E85 should net you about 70-80 AWHP. It'll cost about the same, as the switch to a used turbo of dubious condition. The switch to a IX turbo would only net you about a 15 AWHP gain at most, if you have the VIII/9.8. In contrast, the E85 conversion only requires swapping injectors and pump at most, plus the retune. But, you are gonna have to spend on a retune either way, even if you just swap the turbo.

Then, one day, down the road, when you've saved up enough money.... get yourself a real upgrade turbo, such as a CBRD BBK-Full, or an FP HTA Green.

EDIT: In the meantime, you might want to consider enrolling your wife in a high performance driving course.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 3, 2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks.
She did few auto-x in our old miata but this is first turbo car she drove (drove rsti few times before). I'm not sure if we got any schools around here (Elkhart,in)
I'm still debating on e85. I was thinking maybe 9 turbo on e85 with same boost for safety. Or atleast on pump with same boost.

Po owner had this car tuned to 27psi on 8
Old Mar 3, 2012, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SlavaGC8
Thanks.
She did few auto-x in our old miata but this is first turbo car she drove (drove rsti few times before).....Po owner had this car tuned to 27psi on 8
Sounds like your wife has driving experience. She should be OK with the new power level.

You can get a safe, mild 26-27 PSI E85 tune. All you need is the injectors if you already have the WALBRO pump, Do you know what fuel the previous owner was running in the car to be at the 27 PSI level. Was that a 93 octane tune? I would assume that the car already has a Walbro in-tank fuel pump upgrade. But, you may want to check. Also, check whether the turbo already has had the turbine housing upgraded from the stock 9.8 to the newer 10.5. Even with the VIII turbo you will be up over 360 AWHP easily on E85. Whereas, with a IX turbo on pump gas you won't be anywhere near that power level.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 3, 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

It has 9.8 housing. How can I find out inj size? Hard to believe stock would take 27psi.
I'm a bit concerned with inconsistency of e85.

Quick Reply: Evo 9 turbo or Fp white?