Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Picked up 05 evo 8 and a few concerns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up 05 evo 8 and a few concerns

Alright fellas, got an evo lastnight! Running on e85 and supporting mods. just got some concerns.

Its running about 21 psi according to the factory gauge. Im getting spark blowout i believe. It sputters/misfires a couple times when doing a WOT pull. Going to do a boost leak test today and check plugs. The guy who put plugs in gapped them to .020. I believe they are ngk copper one step colder. Just to remind you this is on e85. And another concern i have is that from what the previous owner said, he changed the oil couple days before i picked it up, i checked it today and it looks normal (black) on the bottom of the dipstick but as it gets higher it turns into a light brownish yellow and it smells like e85 and its over the full mark. Is this okay? is the misfire at WOT causing this too?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Could be plugs, could be tune, ect.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:34 PM

Plugs were good. gapped at .020 but still sputtering. just got the wideband hooked up and it shows around 10.9-11 at WOT. lil on the rich side. Boost leak test tomorrow!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:35 AM

Didn't get around to do that yet. Will today later. It's still got the plastic DV on it so im probably gonna find a good leak there. Going to swap with it with a Synapse!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:10 AM

Whenever it gets cold these cars like to start sputtering with ethanol in them. My last evo did the same thing with e30. (93 with 30% ethanol). pure 91 and it was perfectly fine. Now i have an evo with e85 and its doing the same thing when its cold out. sputter is mostly gone at about 50*. probably 60 to 70 is when it is completely gone if i remember correctly. Colder air is more dense so you will be hitting higher load and with more cylinder pressure.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Copper plugs do not last a very long time 3000 miles if you are lucky. Replace and gap new plugs. Oil doesnt like alcohol so replace oil on time of not sooner. A little over full mark is ok. 5q of oil will be just above full. If u have a built motor and run the car hard it will consume it anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 190hpkilla
Copper plugs do not last a very long time 3000 miles if you are lucky. Replace and gap new plugs. Oil doesnt like alcohol so replace oil on time of not sooner. A little over full mark is ok. 5q of oil will be just above full. If u have a built motor and run the car hard it will consume it anyway.

Yes we replaced plugs couple days ago. They should be fine, Bpr7es i believe

Just replaced the oil too lastnight.

Okay. It was more than a little over the full mark. probably a good 1/2 inch.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

sputter under WOT is never good man... id check into the problem asap and not push the car until u do.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 09:37 AM

Yea I know

One thing i should add that was a little weird. When we pulled the plugs to check them and everything checked out good, as in gap, the look of the plug was good, ect. and put everything back together.. first 3 pulls were perfect. no hiccup buttt then the 4th pull came and it sputtered exactly like it did before.. only times it would sputter would be at around 3600 then clear till 4200 and sputter, then clear from then onto redline.

Boost Cut was on my mind about this. But i did a log and im only hitting 240 load and max is 319% for the limit. So I'm no where near the limit.

Edit- Not hitting 240 load. Must have been a glitch when i looked at my logs. Im hitting 280-290 load with jdm map saying 23-24 psi. The ign and fuel tables only go to 260 so i gotta turn the boost down

Last edited by Evo8RLK; Mar 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Not 240 load.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:12 AM

Results from Boost leak test-

starting charging the system with air and instantly heard a very big leak up by the throttle body. squirted around there but couldn't find it. got up to 20 psi hardly but then dropped off quickly and back down to 0. Took the throttle body off and took it apart and the shaft seal on the spring side was completely half gone. So that was somewhat a big problem

Ordered some new seals lastnight and just waiting for them to arrive to put it back together!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Fuel cut.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8RLK
Results from Boost leak test-

starting charging the system with air and instantly heard a very big leak up by the throttle body. squirted around there but couldn't find it. got up to 20 psi hardly but then dropped off quickly and back down to 0. Took the throttle body off and took it apart and the shaft seal on the spring side was completely half gone. So that was somewhat a big problem

Ordered some new seals lastnight and just waiting for them to arrive to put it back together!
'05's were the worst when it came to throttle body seals, lol mine were barely there. They rob you of alot of power when they're leaking.

As far as your spark issue, I see your mod list is close to mild but why don't you give the bpr8es 1 step colder plugs a try?

From what I've read e85 is a little more sensitive to pre-ignition.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:36 AM

haha yes it was bad. I need to change that mod list because that was on my previous evo.

Now This evo as far as i can tell has 02 housing, installed ams tbe, FMIC, 880cc injectors. Basically supporting mods for e85. Stock intercooling piping.

Yes i could try 8's, But i turned my boost down to 20 psi and it did clean pulls. When it was at 23-24 psi it wasnt tuned in those load cells. so im pretty sure it was the tune and might have been hitting fuel cut.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:33 PM

Did a boost leak test today after replacing the throttle body shaft seals. No audible leaks before 24 psi. But at 25 it sounded like i blew a seal of some sort. Couldn't think that leak was so loud.. Started to squirt water and it was coming out on injector #4. It looks like it just isn't set in right. Is their a quick and dirty way of try to set it in without taking fuel lines off, fuel rail, ect.?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You dont have to take off the fuel lines, you can loosen the 2 rail mounting bolts and drop the rail back a few mm which may give you enough wiggle room to seat the seal in place using some light penetrating oil to help guide it (we use WD40/RP-7 etc in Oz, not sure what you guys use). Most seals should be seated right down when the rail is done up fully, the seals might need replacing.

Quick Reply: Picked up 05 evo 8 and a few concerns