Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

S3 Cams and Stock Block valve clearance Input needed ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S3 Cams and Stock Block valve clearance Input needed ASAP!

Hey guys i need some help from anyone running a stock block and running a S3 cam or a cam equivelant to the S3 in terms of duration and lift on a stock block. Jamie and myself are finishing piecing my car together (Antilag Build Thread) for the stock turbo world record and have decided to run S3 cams but after my phone call today with the shop doing the head porting we have concerns of the valves hitting the pistons of the stock block. Lift is not the concern here, duration is and we are concerned that as the valve is chasing the piston we will encounter slight issues where they hit. So the question is has anyone run a S3 cam on the stock block successfully and if so how was the clearance of valve to piston and anything needed to be done in order for this to work. If worst comes to worst we will put in a 2.0 LR BR motor but would like to see if we can get this to work on the stock block. Thanks in advance for the help and input!

Mods
Stock Block
S3 Cams
Supertech Dual Valve Spring and Retainers
Supertech Inconel 1mm over valves
L19 Headstuds
Terry @ ClassOne doing the head work
AEM Adjustable Exhaust Cam Gear and Stock Mivec Cam Gear

link to build thread if more info needed to help with my question https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ld-thread.html. Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Every motor is different...just clay it up. If its less than like .08", put some sandpaper on an extra valve and notch it out a bit.
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/engi...-notching.html
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

My bet is you are going to have problems especially with those over sized valves the relieves might now be deep enough you can always fly cut the pistons I would just put the buschur motor in
Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Every motor is different...just clay it up. If its less than like .08", put some sandpaper on an extra valve and notch it out a bit.
Thanks for the advice and info. we had already thought of doing the clay idea was just trying to see if we might be able to save some time if someone else or a couple other people had done it and had positive results.

Originally Posted by MRfabolous
My bet is you are going to have problems especially with those over sized valves the relieves might now be deep enough you can always fly cut the pistons I would just put the buschur motor in
Yea i want the BR motor but would like to keep the block stock for now as we have some goals for the stock block if we could keep it. But thank you for the input much appreciated. BR motor it might be then. Keep the feedback coming guys! Really Appreciate it!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your just worried about the intake valves opening and hitting then?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Setting the bar with the s3 on the stock turbo huh
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
I agree with this 100%. On a stock motor you can run Kelford 280s or S3s with zeros issues however, that is with stock valves. The 1mm oversized valves may create an issue. I would bet you money that if you call GSC and speak with Greg he would be able to give you some guidance. He has a software program that I bet could give you an answer

Mikey
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mikey@Spec-Ops
I agree with this 100%. On a stock motor you can run Kelford 280s or S3s with zeros issues however, that is with stock valves. The 1mm oversized valves may create an issue. I would bet you money that if you call GSC and speak with Greg he would be able to give you some guidance. He has a software program that I bet could give you an answer

Mikey
Thanks for the response! I will give him a call. Seems to be the end all problem solution right there.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
Former Sponsor

No problem sir. If you have any other questions please let ke know

Mikey
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mikey@Spec-Ops
No problem sir. If you have any other questions please let ke know

Mikey
Will do! thanks for the help! now if i could only figure out how to make my wallet grow so i can get that br motor lol
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And I thought S3's with the 7670 was a bit too much cam.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Anything smaller than a black on E85 the S3s will lose too much low end to make them worthwhile. Even then I bet S2s/Black/E85 makes the same power. Greg said long ago that they were really a 600whp+ cam and it has held true. They will fit with a stock piston, heck my Customs will fit with a stock piston.

Aaron
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Anything smaller than a black on E85 the S3s will lose too much low end to make them worthwhile. Even then I bet S2s/Black/E85 makes the same power. Greg said long ago that they were really a 600whp+ cam and it has held true. They will fit with a stock piston, heck my Customs will fit with a stock piston.

Aaron
Thanks for the input! and yes i realize what the cams are intended for. Trying something new, if it doesnt go as we plan and expect i have FP4Rs to throw in if need be. Trying something out. Going to give GSC a call to double check with the oversize valves ill be running. Better safe than sorry. And car is purely for drag racing right now.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Stock 9 turbo + S3s will lose both power and torque below 6500, already tried that. Its worth 20whp above 7k...least on pumpgas. E85 might be different. I will look for the dynosheet on monday. With the ported head you need a slightly different profile than the S3 as far as duration and ramp rate, but you need its lift. I suggest a custom profile to focus on the turbo and cylinder head. That or just S2s, when Luke made 522whp on the stock turbo that was with OTS S2s....an 11:1 2.0L helped of course but it makes power lower than the S3 will focus anyway, 5800-6000 free boosted.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With the changes from stock you have made in the head, the only safe method of setting the clearance is to check it yourself physically in YOUR motor. Stack up clearances and how the head was set up make every engine a little different, and computer programs give you theoritical clearance, not actual clearance...

Quick Reply: S3 Cams and Stock Block valve clearance Input needed ASAP!