Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

manley h beam failure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bought a summit racing one, heard they're ok. so no ones had loose rod bolts from the box?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by burnzy
i bought a summit racing one, heard they're ok. so no ones had loose rod bolts from the box?
Summit, Jegs, ARP, cant go wrong with either.. as long as the gauge has a stiff spring in it you're fine & that you preload the gauge up quite a bit. they are all designed to rest good on the dimples on the bolts.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
In all honesty you should of done that yourself when finding / setting rod bearing clearances. sounds like you didn't measure anything yourself?

who set the clearances or provided what bearing thicknesses to use for your build? machine shop? if so it is there job to assure its good with proper measuring tools, micrometers, dial bore gauges, etc.

Its required to measure the Inner diameter of the rod caps tightened to spec in order to know/choose proper bearing thickness required to meet your personal specifications for your engines final clearance assembly.
huh? i'm not expecting manley to torque my rods for me, of course I checked clearances etc. what i'm saying is that they're meant to be torqued from factory just so they can hone the big end right??
either way it's not right because even the paper that comes with it says they have been pre torqued to 60ftlb from factory. it's easy to throw the blame on the user, just wait till you finish the engine you're building when you know you measured everything and it was all correct, then it blows up with no sign and tell me how you feel when the internets starts pointing fingers at you lol.

I will admit the only thing I did wrong was trust that torque specs manley give would get you in the ball park for stretch, there are people who say using the torque values gets them within .005 of stretch when measuring. But like i said before, the rod bolts didn't back out so it didn't die from under stretch, and I really doubt I went past the elastic modulus of the bolt, if it did then the was a flaw in the bolt.

Last edited by burnzy; Mar 10, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

huh? i'm not expecting manley to torque my rods for me, of course I checked clearances etc. what i'm saying is that they're meant to be torqued from factory just so they can hone the big end right??
either way it's not right because even the paper that comes with it says they have been pre torqued to 60ftlb from factory.
I cant 100% recall, but i think there was some sort of inspection sheet that came in the manley rods package we got indicating each one was checked. did you get anything like that?

was their lube on the loose bolts? if so id say that would be a good sign/way to tell it was checked..

atleast now you're locked & loaded with new information and your next build should last much much longer.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

all my other builds are running fine lol. just my luck my own engine blows. there was no inspection sheet with mine. there was no lube on the bolts either, not sure why but manley uses arp lube with turbo tuffs and 30 weight oil with h beams...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my turbo tuffs came with a tube of anti seize. im going to try different routes with mine. either the stretch gauge with indicator or measuring with my 1"-2" micrometer. whichever is more repeatable is the one ill use.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
my turbo tuffs came with a tube of anti seize. im going to try different routes with mine. either the stretch gauge with indicator or measuring with my 1"-2" micrometer. whichever is more repeatable is the one ill use.
stretch gauge with a good dial indicator is the best route.

you cant use a micrometer accurately.. it wont fit in the machined dimples on the rod bolt that are the only way to truely measure it accurately.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor

all my other builds are running fine lol. just my luck my own engine blows. there was no inspection sheet with mine. there was no lube on the bolts either, not sure why but manley uses arp lube with turbo tuffs and 30 weight oil with h beams...
well now atleast you'll be an even better engine builder if youre gonna use stretch now

live and learn i guess.. can never catch breaks .. always has to resort to loss of income.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

stretch gauge with a good dial indicator is the best route.

you cant use a micrometer accurately.. it wont fit in the machined dimples on the rod bolt that are the only way to truely measure it accurately.
i dont remember if arp machines the tops and bottoms, either way i obviously wont do something im not 100% sure about. im obsessive compulsive and if i have any doubt about anything it will keep me up at night and ill tear it back apart to double check.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor

i dont remember if arp machines the tops and bottoms, either way i obviously wont do something im not 100% sure about. im obsessive compulsive and if i have any doubt about anything it will keep me up at night and ill tear it back apart to double check.

sounds like me lol.. we torture ourselves over nothing sometimes huh? lol.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like me lol.. we torture ourselves over nothing sometimes huh? lol.
yeah, but the peace of mine keeps me from going insane. i should probably be medicated.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

yeah, but the peace of mine keeps me from going insane. i should probably be medicated.
same here. last time i changed a waterpump on my car i forgot to double check the torque on the tensioner pulley for the timing belt (making the wrench click twice), and just because i didnt confirm it i went down 1 hr later and ripped the entire car apart again just to redo it and have the wrench click twice on that bolt LOL.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

same here. last time i changed a waterpump on my car i forgot to double check the torque on the tensioner pulley for the timing belt (making the wrench click twice), and just because i didnt confirm it i went down 1 hr later and ripped the entire car apart again just to redo it and have the wrench click twice on that bolt LOL.
yep thats me. i work on industrial equipment for a living and my bosses love me, but i drive my coworkers and everyone else insane. i recently went ballistic on a service manager when i bought the girlfriends car in for an alignment. they got it "in spec" but the left rear and right rear camber were .5* different. i lectured them about taking pride in their work and stuff.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:08 PM

sorry to be slightly off topic here but is there a rating to arp2000 rod bolts? If correctly stretched and torqued where are its limits? In the process of odering from map and they seem to think that my rods will fail before the arp2000 rod bolts (i ordered manley I-beams)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

It's probably not off topic as that's where the topic is going I'm sure.....it's a good question...I'd say a lot of power and torque I had scat rods with arp2000s and held up fine, as a matter of fact everything around the crank,rods and pistons couldn't take the boost and power it had......did a headgasket then noticed that the cyl wall was cracked......I really doubt they're hit and miss, I'd. Have to say they have to be installed and stretched properly, end of story. I'd have to ask another question as to whether the motor has had a beating in another way? Ie. a short period of detonation? Maybe it fatigued the rods/rod bolts and then combined with more torque down the track just gave up?....just suggesting

Quick Reply: manley h beam failure