Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

manley h beam failure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you churn out a few million bolts and chances are there are going to be a few that aren't up to spec, thats life. not trying to start a scare but if my torque wrench was that far out the head should have lifted too. normal arp headstuds and cometic headgasket 87mm, knock should have taken that out first also.
Chances are it won't happen if everything is done to spec, but you can do everything to spec and still have **** fail.

if you're not worried harry try running manley h beams yourself . for all I know the rod could have snapped first then taken out two rod bolts...

Last edited by burnzy; Mar 10, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Na I am worried that's why I'm posting and throwing a suggestion out there....I just ordered these same rod package and now I'm finding in gotta upgrade....the fact that the head didn't lift goes to show how much of a weak spot it had......and that's with a cosmetic gasket and standard arps as you said......I'm just trying to find out WHY it happened and learn from it
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

a few things may have happened.
1. i may have seriously overtorqued them to the point they stretched past the point of no return. (doubt it but)
2. weak rod (maybe)
3. weak rod bolt that stretched too much at the given torque values (maybe)
4. detonation (also doubtful, det shows signs on the bearings and head/piston/spark plugs) there are no heat marks on the rods.

you don't HAVE to upgrade. chances are I put another set of the exact same rods in there and it will run fine. but with the power i'm aiming for, not taking chances this time round.

Last edited by burnzy; Mar 10, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Burnzy, possible impact sheer.

http://arp-bolts.com/pages/technical_failures.shtml
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

interesting, will have a look at the bolts under a microscope when i get them out, it does look like impact shear from what I can see through the hole in the engine which seems to mean that the rod broke first.
for sure it looks nothing like tensile overload.

Last edited by burnzy; Mar 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Another manley hbeam failure here about 2weeks ago.. the car had just been tuned and wasn't knocking when #1 rod busted the block and completely came off the crank. It looks to be in 4-5 pieces w/ rod bolts that were sheared in half. He was around 560-580 hp at the motor when it broke. I'm not totally convinced it was the rod or the wiseco piston that failed which we found half the piston broke along the wrist pin direction. By the way these were the standard manley hbeam and the standard wiseco's.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Manley H beams is a budget rod... how anyone can even trust them at 550hp is beyond me.
I use manley TT I beams and never had a single problem! and that peace of mind for $350-400 more...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

My pistons are in perfect condition so the Manley pistons held up well. Wow.. 550 at the motor is nothing, stock rods can hold that sometimes. My #1 was the one that flew out also. Would be interesting to hear more people who have broke them and in what way! Also maybe when you bought them also as it could be a bad batch
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
same here. last time i changed a waterpump on my car i forgot to double check the torque on the tensioner pulley for the timing belt (making the wrench click twice), and just because i didnt confirm it i went down 1 hr later and ripped the entire car apart again just to redo it and have the wrench click twice on that bolt LOL.
I'm glad it's not just me then!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

some pics for ya

Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burnzy
some pics for ya

holy ****!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
So is this a Manley fault, an ARP fault, and tuners fault or an installers fault?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

looks like the rod failed IMO
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Doesn't look like the rod failed to me looks like detonation blew the **** out of everything
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Lol what in the picture makes you say detonation. You haven't seen the piston tops or the bearings or the head yet you talk ****. Timing was 4 ramping to 16 on e85. If you knew anything you'd know that's conservative. Afrs were 11.6. Detonation would have busted my headgasket before this happened. Normal Cometic headgasket and arp2000 studs. The rod broke first and something hit the rod cap snapping the bolts.

How does detonation break a rod before leavin a mark on the piston when it's the piston that cops it first, think about what you're saying.

Let's pretend there was det, the rod shouldn't break without at least a few det marks on the piston or signs of headgasket failure. It was definately the weakest point. I've seen people det to the point of cracked/melted pistons yet the rods were in one piece.

even IF there was a bit of det, the rod still broke cause it was weak

Last edited by burnzy; Mar 12, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: manley h beam failure