Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

manley h beam failure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cursedsm
Doesn't look like the rod failed to me looks like detonation blew the **** out of everything
Clearly you don't know what a det looks like..... and you can't even see the piston top, and the piston rings are not damaged at all. Where are you seeing knock in those photo's ?

Burnzy built my 2.4 about a year ago and have had no problems with the motor, I would be surprised if it was an assembly mistake. It is a little bit like the chicken or the egg scenario really, what let go first rod or rod bolt. To hard to tell over the internetz, but I am sure that won't stop people trying

Good luck with the new build Mr.Burnz

Last edited by cammy; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:25 AM

troy is a great tuner he does tend to push the limit of things however he keeps his tunes safe. troy knows what his talking about, you sir do not and u dont make any sense at all saying its det..

lol

good luck on the next build troy map rods ftw
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:35 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys, much appreciated. I will be sending the carnage off to Manley and they will be doing an inspection so we will find out exactly what happened. my rods were on the light side though, most are 575 grams, mine were 539. not saying thats why they broke but they were lighter than most
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
At first I thought this was a MAP-built short block. I learned a lot from reading through this thread. A lot of good lessons to be applied.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
same here. last time i changed a waterpump on my car i forgot to double check the torque on the tensioner pulley for the timing belt (making the wrench click twice), and just because i didnt confirm it i went down 1 hr later and ripped the entire car apart again just to redo it and have the wrench click twice on that bolt LOL.
Good to hear I'm not the only one too....I'm A.D.D. about stuff like this too. My nickname at work is Ducky as in the old dude from NCIS that takes apart the dead bodies and is real meticulous.

Anyways I know the thread is like a month old but I might be able to help somewhat since I used to work at Manley (the one in NJ anyway, supposedly one in Cali now too?) I worked in the rod department and the time I was there I did 90% of one style H-beams. Depending what they were for depended on the quality control process, on some EACH rod would be checked, but other applications we would do a full crate of rods which I believe was 75 or 150 rods and pulled out like 10 random rods and checked every little measurement (including bearing tang depth/width/etc.) which actually checked more stuff than the rods that were checked individually but only checking a small percentage of them technically.

They came in off the UPS truck packaged in boxes with Chinese/Japanese newspaper soaked in oil (not sure what language it was but assuming Chinese)...unwrapped them, used a drill with a soft nylon brush then switched to a stiff nylon brush and ran them through the bolt threads in the rod a few times with oil, then went over in a rod vise where we lubed the bolt threads with oil, torqued them I believe 3X times and then ended at a certain torque on the 4th time (or something like that), had a certain torque for each rod model and we had a torque wrench calibrater to calibrate the snap on beam torque wrench (I would do it at least once, maybe twice a day) and you would be surprised how off even a good torque wrench can be then the big ends would get honed, the guy would do two at a time (the guy at that time was great, idk if hes still there or not), honed one then checked it, if wasnt to spec he would put it off to the side for it to cool down (since the honing makes it hot and change size) and he would hone the next rod while the other was cooling down then went over to a place where the Manley logo was burned onto the rod which was an interesting process. then I believe someone deburred any rough edges, then on some rods the big ends would be weighed and wrote down the weight on the box it would be going in (if packaged individually and not a big order like for the Ford GT's or for some company) . Then would mic out the small end with an air micrometer which was interesting how that worked. If passed it went to get the bushings pressed in, the excess of the bushing cut off, then the oil holes drilled, then the bushings get bored (mini boring bar basically) to a certain size then would be honed and the rods checked for straightness/twist/out of shape/etc....and I forget what else since it's been years ago but they would be washed in a hot tank like two seperate times during this process and then would be put in a bag and pour some oil in the bag to keep it from rusting. Like I said it was years ago so the process might have changed and I'm sure I'm missing out some steps but that's most of the steps that is what happened. From what I seen a Large percentage of the (economy H-beams at least) are shipped from overseas and then just machined over here in the US, not just including Manley.

And at least while I was there I've never used antiseize on the bolts, only the motor oil but like I said I only worked on one series of rods so could be different on different rods.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

just a quick update, sent everything off to manley, they said the rod bolt snapped due to not enough torque. whether this is true or not I don't know. however i now have 10,000kms on my new motor with map ultimate rods @ 550hp with an fp black and all is going well. The lesson i've learnt from this is I now use a stretch gauge on all rod bolts.

Thanks for the info Ducky, very interesting.