Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

o.k. all you tuning gurus, answer this....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o.k. all you tuning gurus, answer this....

I just installed an HKS EVC. Why does my car run harder at 15psi than at 19psi. Ime not kidding. If i turn the boost down to 15, it pulls harder. It also pulls harder if i only go to about 4/5 throttle. When i put it on the floor, it doesnt seem to pull as hard. Heck, sometimes at 2/3 throttle it pulls like mad. Can you tune a car by pulling boost??? Really curious..... RRR
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prob because you installed the k 7 N filter with out tuning to compensate and your pulling a lot of timing from detonation

On part thottle you get better timing and less load with less boost also yiled better timing

List all your mods and fuel used
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

I meant to say... make sure when you read boost, it's BAR. Sometimes they input a boost reading that is something other then bar and PSI.

Last edited by YellwTyper; Jan 19, 2004 at 10:44 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, when we did our dynos for the evo.. we did notice that the stock ECU worked best using about 1.2-1.3 bar... anything higher, the engine wouldnt take.. (for 2 EVOs inclding mine)

However, when i find tuned my boost management system (the E-boost) by moving the gate pressure up to about 1.2 bar... and my boost to about 1.4, my car responded very well... especially with light tuning with my safc2. The overall response was superb with very high low end torque and good high end power.. however, detonation levels had to be monitored.. our weather here is pretty hot.. and quite humid and our fuel isnt as good... i reduced the boost to about 1.38 and gate pressure to about 1.28 and the car now produces clean power from 2.5K to 7K... very little lag, very strong mid range...

When i have the time, i'll have to do a dyno again for the numbers...

But as for your question.. blame it on the ECU... if you want higher boost.. u need better GP controls.. better intercooler/piping and at least an SAFCII.

One more thing.. how do u know it pulls harder? Sometimes our butt dynos arent that good...

Last edited by Angel Of Mercy; Jan 19, 2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

It does sound like a timing issure. You sure you're not inadvertently using 1.5 bar and 1.9 bar?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EvolvedDSM
It does sound like a timing issure. You sure you're not inadvertently using 1.5 bar and 1.9 bar?
Gawd, I hope not...
Old Jan 20, 2004, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Get a new fuel pump and retune. I wonder if you're running out of pressure up top and its causing the ECU to pull timing.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

My EVC reads in PSI. My car ran sooooooo much better when i installed the EVC that ime sure i only had 11/12psi spring pressure before. I was scared to death that the boost was like 30 or somthing that i installed an expensive gauge (mcdaniels controlls oil filled ) to verify boost. The EVC is right on. + or - 1psi. I was playing around with it the other day and i think i hit the fuel cut everyone talks about. Car died HARD for a second and came back. The EVC recorded a high boost of 19.7. So i fuel cut at 19.7 and my stock bov sputterd as well. So it wont hold pressure. Fuel is 5 to one mix of 91/100. I calculated approx 93. Maybe try straight 100?? Maybe get tuned???? RRR Al, all mods are listed in my signature . thanks and do you have a flash for my car?? Ray
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by rraulston
My EVC reads in PSI. My car ran sooooooo much better when i installed the EVC that ime sure i only had 11/12psi spring pressure before. I was scared to death that the boost was like 30 or somthing that i installed an expensive gauge (mcdaniels controlls oil filled ) to verify boost. The EVC is right on. + or - 1psi. I was playing around with it the other day and i think i hit the fuel cut everyone talks about. Car died HARD for a second and came back. The EVC recorded a high boost of 19.7. So i fuel cut at 19.7 and my stock bov sputterd as well. So it wont hold pressure. Fuel is 5 to one mix of 91/100. I calculated approx 93. Maybe try straight 100?? Maybe get tuned???? RRR Al, all mods are listed in my signature . thanks and do you have a flash for my car?? Ray
Yes - I think a tune for the K & N filter - it reads lean accross the middle will resolve this. If it does not fix it just send it back for a full refund. Where so you live and what fuel do you use?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
Yes - I think a tune for the K & N filter - it reads lean accross the middle will resolve this. If it does not fix it just send it back for a full refund. Where so you live and what fuel do you use?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by en1gma19

Thanks - so i am guessing he is a CA guy???

If you are in cali - I would be happy to take a look at your car and diagnose for free this weekend

91 octane is deadly bad on aftermarket intakes - detonation city and pulled timing like crazy
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

After installing a full BR FMIC and intake/MBC my car hit fuel cut @19.6 PSI Called BR and they said turn the boost down. I did (18PSI) and the car came alive :-) (at all throttle settings) can't wait for my reflash...
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

AZ guy Al. Our fuel is poor also. All pumps only sell 91. For 93 i mix 5 to 1 91/100 at the 76 station. So Al, You can tune for the Typhoon and Buschur turbo back?? fir 91?? or should i still mix my fuel?? Thats kinda expensive...... Ray Ime thinking about that AEM wideband gauge thing......I like gagets......
Old Jan 20, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Al where will you be in Cali this comming weekend???? Ray
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Al where will you be in Cali this comming weekend???? Ray
In 2 or 3 differnt areas - its going to be a huge turn out - I cant wait to get there !!!!!

Quick Reply: o.k. all you tuning gurus, answer this....