Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what tranny mods do you guys have?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2004, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what tranny mods do you guys have?

Hi, I'm kinda new and before I sell my soul to own an evo (j/k ) I have a couple of questions.

1) What goes wrong when something breaks? I can understand the clutch but what else? How does one prevent it? Is it something that a good clutch alone will solve, will redline fluids, cryotreating an shot peening the gears solve the "weaker tranny" or is it something more involved?

2) What preventative measures have you owners taken (besides never launching it.... ever)

3) Here's the thing. I have a buddy that has a modded wrx and I drive it every time I can talk him into it, I just love AWD launches and to tell you the truth I don't see the reason for having AWD other than that on the tarmac. RWD cars handle just as well and the AWD system adds weight. can someone tell me an advantage other than the launch?

sorry for the questions but as much as I love the evo, I know that I would launch this car once a day.... at least. if there is nothing I can do to allow me to do this for a reasonable amount (like less than 3k or so) I'll just spend my money on a RB25DET and a s15 front end conversion for the 240 and work less. Anyone care to help me out?
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:03 PM

my plan for the clutch is to save up for an ACT clutch kit when mine goes out. But if you think about it, the reason the clutch slips so bad is because of a weak pressure plate. Maybe if you put a 21 or 2600 pp in it as soon as you got it, you would save the clutch.
that's going to void the tranny warranty though, because the reason they put a weak clutch kit in there is to avoid tranny problems. with the clutch slipping, that will make the tranny take less of a beating and save mitsubishi money, but cost us money in replacing the clutch
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:12 PM

Ok, so a stronger clutch will solve that end of things but that means that the tranny will take more of a shock... so what to do about that? Is redline, cryotreating and shot peening the gears the way to go? As for the warranty, I'm not holding my breath for anything judging from your experiences.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting a high quality clutch as a replacement might be a good idea if you plan on launching it a few times. I dont think any OEM tranny is going to stand up to constant launching and drag racing...it does depend on how good of a driver you are and how far you are willing to push the car.

If you do get to that point though, I would just have sheppard rebuild the tranny proper like. But if you are just worried about everyday stuff, and a good driver, just get a good aftermarket clutch, a SS clutch line and maintain higher spec fluids and you should be fine. Anyone that owns an Evo probably wont back down from cars that they KNOW it can beat...so this is what i call everyday stuff.

just my opinions.