Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

where to mount oil temp sensor.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
where to mount oil temp sensor.

i have Defi oil pressure and oil temp sensors mounted on the oil filer housing. but i had to remove the oil temp sensor for the FP turbo oil line that i'm installing. but now i don't have a place to mount the Defi oil temp sensor. i did remove the OEM oil pressure sensor and the Defi temp sensor does fit but it's very long and i'm worry it might block some passage. if i run a T block, where's the best place to do it. there's also an OEM oil temp sensor on the drain plug but that's not connected up. thanks,

Attached Thumbnails where to mount oil temp sensor.-2012-03-23_06-37-31_514a.jpg  
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a bunch of ways you can do it, here would be my personal route.
1) Weld a fitting to your oil pan, independent of oil drain
2) Put a T off one of your other fittings of the oil filter housing... you can also run a SS or kevlar -AN line off this if you want to relocate it someone else if you are worried about clearances to other parts off the housing.

Personally, I will be running a fitting off the housing with a SS line and a T fitting to mount oil pressure and oil temp sending units. I have the setup just haven't installed it yet.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
where did you get the -AN line?

I know someone here sells them but it's $35 for a 12" line...I want like a 24" line so I can safely mount it where I want, but I have no idea where I'd purchase something like that OR what the correct fitting size is to go into the oil filter housing. if you could help with either of those, much <3 for you
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
There is a bunch of ways you can do it, here would be my personal route.
1) Weld a fitting to your oil pan, independent of oil drain
2) Put a T off one of your other fittings of the oil filter housing... you can also run a SS or kevlar -AN line off this if you want to relocate it someone else if you are worried about clearances to other parts off the housing.

Personally, I will be running a fitting off the housing with a SS line and a T fitting to mount oil pressure and oil temp sending units. I have the setup just haven't installed it yet.
i think mounting the oil temp sensor closest to the source would get more accurate reading rather than relocating the sensor. relocating the pressure sensor would be find though.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
where did you get the -AN line?

I know someone here sells them but it's $35 for a 12" line...I want like a 24" line so I can safely mount it where I want, but I have no idea where I'd purchase something like that OR what the correct fitting size is to go into the oil filter housing. if you could help with either of those, much <3 for you
my dad got the -an fittings from shop where he works. you need m18x1.5 to -8 an adapter for the oil housing and oil cooler if you're going to use oem oil cooler. and four -8an 90* hose end fittings. you can get all the parts from summitracing.com or jegs.com
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
my dad got the -an fittings from shop where he works. you need m18x1.5 to -8 an adapter for the oil housing and oil cooler if you're going to use oem oil cooler. and four -8an 90* hose end fittings. you can get all the parts from summitracing.com or jegs.com
sorry, what i meant was what GTijoejoe was talking about running an -AN line to a T fitting

just looking for the right fitting that would fit in the oil filter housing and then something on the other end that is a T so I can connect a temp and pressure sender
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

i think mounting the oil temp sensor closest to the source would get more accurate reading rather than relocating the sensor. relocating the pressure sensor would be find though.
Have you ever ran a oil temp sensor? (I'm not trying to bash you by any means)
By the source you mean the sump right? Honestly 25" of line is not going to make any difference in the oil temp reading, the accuracy is going to become steady state once you reach operation temps and it wont matter anymore... the time frame it will take to heat up that small volume of oil is going to be negligible to any limit to which you are trying to actually read.

The best source I've found to get fittings is speedwaymotors.com or pegasusautotracing.com

Pegasus basically has everything.... but they are pricey... I choose speedway over jegs... and I'm in Ohio so I can just drive to jegs when ever I want... they don't always have what you want in my personal experience, but they do have a lot of stuff too.

I'll make a quick how too for this for others because I'm sure they'd be interested.
This is my setup

The oil fitting for the housing is from 42draftdesigns (I didn't try to source it anywhere else because I knew they had it)... I do happen to have an extra one of these btw.
42draft P/N: 42-912 (they also sell a fitting set, this fitting with a 45deg 1/8npt to -an (I think speedway is cheaper)
I happen to have my receipt right here as I just got these in last week.
Speedway P/N:
617-1302 T-fitting 1/8npt
910-31845-4 25" SS -4an line (they also have kevlar too which is more flexible, I use it on my other car, slightly more expensive)
617-4025 femaile fitting adaptor 1/8npt to -4an
324-962304 45deg fitting adaptor 1/8npt to -4an

If running a oil temp sender, you'll need a T like I show here, because it has a probe on it for the sensor which will need to fit down the barrel of that fitting... a shorter T will not allow you to fully seat the sender into the fitting, I'll bottom out. (hope that makes sense)

EDIT: lastly find out what your temp sender fittings are, often they are 1/8npt.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Mar 23, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

the oil in that line is going to be static (not flowing), and also the line might cool the oil down some by the time it gets to the sensor. i haven't mount a oil temp sensor remotely before, so i don't know. but i've always try to mount it where there's a good oil flow.

i've decide to get a new drain plug and drilled it out. i couldn't find my tap, so ill have to get a new one tomorrow, but i think it's going to work fine, like the oem sensor on the drain plug.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

the oil in that line is going to be static (not flowing), and also the line might cool the oil down some by the time it gets to the sensor. i haven't mount a oil temp sensor remotely before, so i don't know. but i've always try to mount it where there's a good oil flow.

i've decide to get a new drain plug and drilled it out. i couldn't find my tap, so ill have to get a new one tomorrow, but i think it's going to work fine, like the oem sensor on the drain plug.
IMO the sump (pan) is always the best place as its where the pump scavenges the oil from for everything. But also IMO since the volume of oil inside the line is probably less than 1/4 of a cup, even though it maybe static as it has a pressure head behind it from the pump, I'm willing to bet one weeks pay it will heat up no different as the vehicle reaches temperature, its not like that oil volume is secluded from the rest.....heat transfer will play its roll.

Either way, I'll guess I'll find out soon enough... as I had a factory oil temp gauge too I know what the operation temps are according to that.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

i got a new drain plug and tap the oil temp sensor into it. it was easy enough to do.

Attached Thumbnails where to mount oil temp sensor.-oil_temp_sensor.jpg  
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

That's pretty sweet. I like the oem one as is swivels.... I didn't want to mess with it when I had to change my oil so I didn't go that route on top of the fact I was already locating another sensor.
Good job.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the swivel on the oem one is nice. The connector is short enough, so it would be easy to unplug when changing oil. I was going to cut the plug and make it shorter but I don't think I will need to.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
By the time oil pressure drops at the oil pan its too late. The beat source would be from the head.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
Have you ever ran a oil temp sensor? (I'm not trying to bash you by any means)
By the source you mean the sump right? Honestly 25" of line is not going to make any difference in the oil temp reading, the accuracy is going to become steady state once you reach operation temps and it wont matter anymore... the time frame it will take to heat up that small volume of oil is going to be negligible to any limit to which you are trying to actually read.

The best source I've found to get fittings is speedwaymotors.com or pegasusautotracing.com

Pegasus basically has everything.... but they are pricey... I choose speedway over jegs... and I'm in Ohio so I can just drive to jegs when ever I want... they don't always have what you want in my personal experience, but they do have a lot of stuff too.

I'll make a quick how too for this for others because I'm sure they'd be interested.
This is my setup
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_3152.jpg
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_3151.jpg

The oil fitting for the housing is from 42draftdesigns (I didn't try to source it anywhere else because I knew they had it)... I do happen to have an extra one of these btw.
42draft P/N: 42-912 (they also sell a fitting set, this fitting with a 45deg 1/8npt to -an (I think speedway is cheaper)
I happen to have my receipt right here as I just got these in last week.
Speedway P/N:
617-1302 T-fitting 1/8npt
910-31845-4 25" SS -4an line (they also have kevlar too which is more flexible, I use it on my other car, slightly more expensive)
617-4025 femaile fitting adaptor 1/8npt to -4an
324-962304 45deg fitting adaptor 1/8npt to -4an

If running a oil temp sender, you'll need a T like I show here, because it has a probe on it for the sensor which will need to fit down the barrel of that fitting... a shorter T will not allow you to fully seat the sender into the fitting, I'll bottom out. (hope that makes sense)

EDIT: lastly find out what your temp sender fittings are, often they are 1/8npt.
OMG thank you SO MUCH for this post, this is exactly what I was looking for
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s.e.a.n.
By the time oil pressure drops at the oil pan its too late. The beat source would be from the head.
not sure what you mean by oil pressure, this is for oil temp sensor.

Quick Reply: where to mount oil temp sensor.