Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2nd gear slightly grind

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012 | 06:17 AM

Thanks for the input that means alot for me and the community. First of all the Video you sent me i have already seen it while i was doing my home work, yes, it's very important. About double clutching, yes i do give it some rpm so rev-match it when im going back to 2nd.. it's silky smooth with no problem at all.

And to your other advice, if it doesn't kill anything, i will definitely try them all.

Check clutch adjust and check if clutch is dragging
Replace transmission fluid (maybe add synchro mesh)
Replace shifter bushings

All sounds like a good idea. I will keep posted. Thanks again, that's ALOT of help for me.

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
IMPORTANT: Note that the How to clutch adjust that you posted doesn't mention to check the clutch slave cylinder as you adjust. If you over adjust, the slave cylinder won't be able to adjust for the wear and tear of the clutch. Your clutch will wear down but won't adjust and will start slipping. Same instructions with slave cylinder check http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...r2_sCSAdHS4l4A.

Double clutching = good! I double clutch quite often when everything is cold. It does make everything a lot smoother, I don't do it if everything is warm and smooth. I like to blip the throttle when the car is in neutral during a double clutch to help rev matching.

Double clutching was originally used (and still is in a lot of big trucks etc) in vehicles that didn't have synchronizers (synchros) in their transmissions. Without a synchronizer to assist in the change of speed of the gears in the transmission, the gears would have to accelerate/decelerate too fast too quick and will grind and cause damage. Double clutching is used to help with reducing the amount of acceleration/deceleration of the gears. Synchronizers assist in the acceleration/deceleration of gears in the transmission, so to double clutch in a car that has synchros really just reduces the amount of stress/work put on the synchro. A lot of people will say it's pointless in a synchronized transmission but if your synchros are worn/damaged it it hugely beneficial to smoothness and the remaining life of the synchro.

Why do you think your clutch is due?

My advice:

Check clutch adjust and check if clutch is dragging
Replace transmission fluid (maybe add synchro mesh)
Replace shifter bushings

There are more steps you can go through if this doesn't help.

Good link: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

(If I've stated anything blatantly wrong, anyone can feel free to correct me).
Old Apr 14, 2012 | 02:16 PM

I just bought a used 08 gsr and suffer the same 1-2 grind only. It only happens when it is cold, I did the amsoil trans fluid change and I think it helped a little, but it doesn't work miracles. From what I have read this is a common issue.
Old Apr 23, 2012 | 03:46 PM

So what did you do about it? BTW i finally have chance to finish the project and tomorrow i will test the car.. fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by matlark
I just bought a used 08 gsr and suffer the same 1-2 grind only. It only happens when it is cold, I did the amsoil trans fluid change and I think it helped a little, but it doesn't work miracles. From what I have read this is a common issue.
Old Apr 24, 2012 | 08:53 AM

I just take it easy until it is warmed up. Lol
Old Apr 24, 2012 | 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

50% of times when i shift to 1 to 2, it was notchy or grind. I had to do 1 -> neutual ->2 to gives me smooth shift.

I just changed tranny fluid. Castrol syntorq LT, you can buy three bottles for 60 thru GM wholesale website or you can buy it 5 for little cheaper. It is little expensive compare to Amsoil or Redline. But it feels really great at low rpms also!

Edit: BTW mine is 6 spds also.

Last edited by Chef-j; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012 | 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matlark
yeah I think so too... mine does it too... ever since I first got it @11k miles and it still does it @57k... changed fluid to MT-90... still does it.... mostly when its cold...

I've noticed if you fool with the shifter when shifting into 2nd sidewards play I can get it to shift smoother... so I believe its has something to do with the actual shifting mechanism alignment for that gear/synchro...... weeeerrrd
Old Jun 9, 2012 | 02:09 PM

Any updates? Did changing fluids or adjusting the clutch pedal fix the problem?
Old Dec 10, 2012 | 06:23 PM

Bump. having the exact same problems on my MR. Curious if clutch replacement fixed it. My clutch is slipping
Old Dec 10, 2012 | 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Then regardless of it the clutch fixes the problem or not it should be replaced. If you're replacing the clutch and your transmission is going, consider getting the syncro's replaced while they're in there