Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2nd gear slightly grind

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gear slightly grind

Hi:
I drive 06 EVO IX MR. There is a little problem here with my transmission 2nd gear. I need some help/suggestions.
couple of things to mind you:
#1) My clutch is due so I'm about to change my clutch next week. (mostly causing the problem)
#2) I've read many many many post about this and about how to drive the car, the problem is not the driving, and i don't want to start this thread to start talking about how to drive.

Here's the problem:
When i shift from 1st to 2nd gear directly (again, slowly, clutch all the way on the floor, take it easy and not pound the shifter from 1st to 2nd like sonic) at low or high rpm, there is a slight/very little grinding going into 2nd gear.
That's the only place it happens, every other gear going from high gear to low gear, low gear back to high gear no matter what gear, works like new.

Here's the trick:
To overcome this, surprisingly by doing "double clutch in"(going from 1st to 2nd: clutch in, go to neutral, clutch out, clutch in and go to 2nd from neutral) the problem is gone, i can do this million times and do it as quick as i want even at lightning speed lol, the grinding is no more.. the double clutch in helps.

Here's my assumption:
#1) The clutch is due... lol obviously or isn't?
#2) Because of the double clutch in method pushes the fluid twice that means single clutch in is not enough to pump the clutch to fully disengage+engage the clutch therefore causing it to happen? so maybe:
a) flush the fluid?
b) adjust the peddle? (most likely)?
below is the link for how to adjust the peddle.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...djustment.html

at least that's what i've found out so far.. alot of research, and im about to work on it so just want to get some opinion before working on it and if it turns out the problem is gone, i will try to help out some folks... or maybe it's just me
I need your guys' opinion on this. Thanks.

Last edited by YoManStation; Mar 29, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

i have the same problem going in to 5th, from wat ive searched and found on here, its either syncro or just a simple tranny flush
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:18 AM

Did you fixed it yet? anyway i'm assuming that when taking the tranny down from the car, im able to tell if it's wear out or not?

Originally Posted by ReignMan24
i have the same problem going in to 5th, from wat ive searched and found on here, its either syncro or just a simple tranny flush
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

i bought the car used a little over 2 weeks ago, i am waiting on my order from amsoil to come in to do the tranny flush, but when i got the car i noticed the clutch had so much travel to the bottom of the floor, so i adjusted it just cuz i hated havin that much space, and that has seemed to help with the grinding to..alot
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:33 AM

Mine only has slight grinding.. and at very low rpm (1k) there's no grinding lol~
Let's say that adjusting the pedal will remove the grind, does that mean it will be alright in the long run? does that assumes that the syncro actually has no problem? it's just that the clutch is gone and pedal needs to be adjusted? lol

Originally Posted by ReignMan24
i bought the car used a little over 2 weeks ago, i am waiting on my order from amsoil to come in to do the tranny flush, but when i got the car i noticed the clutch had so much travel to the bottom of the floor, so i adjusted it just cuz i hated havin that much space, and that has seemed to help with the grinding to..alot
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's your synchros most likely. I have the same problem, you shouldn't have to do the double clutch thing you talked about, just clutch in, pull from 1st to neutral, then go to 2nd, clutch out. That should be easier on your legs haha
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:12 AM

you know what... that doesn't work. going to neutral while holding the clutch down and shift into 2nd right? it's not working. i have to do the clutch again in order for it to work... dam..... but i heard many many stories that says adjusting the clutch will work.. guess i will find out in about a week.

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
it's your synchros most likely. I have the same problem, you shouldn't have to do the double clutch thing you talked about, just clutch in, pull from 1st to neutral, then go to 2nd, clutch out. That should be easier on your legs haha
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah you got the sequence correct, sucks that doesn't fix it. your left leg must get quite the workout on stop & go traffic
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:29 AM

Yea good workout lol. You know what, I haven't try to adjust the paddle yet, I'm going to try it. But I figure I will just wait until I change the clutch and them adjust it.

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
yeah you got the sequence correct, sucks that doesn't fix it. your left leg must get quite the workout on stop & go traffic
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what turned out to be the problem, was a simple adjustment that needed to be done or is it your synchros?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check, clutch pedal, fluid ect...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:01 AM

I have this same issue although once I've driven for a few blocks 2nd gear will no longer grind. So cold is when 2nd will grind for me. Its almost like the oil has all dripped off the gears when sitting and once I've driven for a short distance the oil coats the gears/syncros and no problem. (using new oem fluid)

Does your 2nd gear grind go away? Btw I've replace my clutch and removed pill adjusted etc. (not for the grind) no difference. I think the issue is in the trans.

While driving 1st to 2nd with the clutch in try and pull it out of 1st and just resting it to go into 2nd allowing the rpm to drop will it go into gear without grinding? Mine won't grind if i take it easy allowing rpm to drop a little.

Last edited by Base_model; Mar 31, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:49 AM

i Haven't got time yet, subscribe for updates or maybe someone can help out. oh and thanks for apagan01 for all that, i still haven't order the tranny oil from you yet, im going to do it today or tomorrow, im going for AMSOIL and i still have you pm from couple months ago with your suggestion on what to get.

@base_model: Yes it will not grind at first if i wait a little for the rpm to go down but then after some time i will have very tiny grind even with low rpm so that 'double clutch in' method works like a charm... but that is very weird....

Anyone have experience changing the synchro? the part price? (just IN CASE i need to do it)
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
My car new off the showroom floor had a little grind in the 1-2 shift. Eighty thousand miles later - exactly the same.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

IMPORTANT: Note that the How to clutch adjust that you posted doesn't mention to check the clutch slave cylinder as you adjust. If you over adjust, the slave cylinder won't be able to adjust for the wear and tear of the clutch. Your clutch will wear down but won't adjust and will start slipping. Same instructions with slave cylinder check http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...r2_sCSAdHS4l4A.

Double clutching = good! I double clutch quite often when everything is cold. It does make everything a lot smoother, I don't do it if everything is warm and smooth. I like to blip the throttle when the car is in neutral during a double clutch to help rev matching.

Double clutching was originally used (and still is in a lot of big trucks etc) in vehicles that didn't have synchronizers (synchros) in their transmissions. Without a synchronizer to assist in the change of speed of the gears in the transmission, the gears would have to accelerate/decelerate too fast too quick and will grind and cause damage. Double clutching is used to help with reducing the amount of acceleration/deceleration of the gears. Synchronizers assist in the acceleration/deceleration of gears in the transmission, so to double clutch in a car that has synchros really just reduces the amount of stress/work put on the synchro. A lot of people will say it's pointless in a synchronized transmission but if your synchros are worn/damaged it it hugely beneficial to smoothness and the remaining life of the synchro.

Why do you think your clutch is due?

My advice:

Check clutch adjust and check if clutch is dragging
Replace transmission fluid (maybe add synchro mesh)
Replace shifter bushings

There are more steps you can go through if this doesn't help.

Good link: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

(If I've stated anything blatantly wrong, anyone can feel free to correct me).

Quick Reply: 2nd gear slightly grind