Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

which FP is best for 25psi on 91

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
which FP is best for 25psi on 91

So I heard the fp green is best for 91 fuel and could possibly produce more hp at 25psi than the red or black. Now the BB fp's are out, so I was wondering if the red is the new green. This is also my daily driver and will never see a different type of fuel nor meth. I have a built head, 1050cc injectors, and bolt ons (stock block) making 320hp on a mustang dyno. I'm wondering what hp the new green or red would get me too. Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

The ball bearing is not really going to help HP over the old versions. The ball bearings only really help between shifts and how long the turbo lasts.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Isn't the BB Red similar to the non BB green in spool/transient response? Isn't the red or black more street viable because of the switch to BB?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Spool is not much faster if any. Transient boost with the BB version is much better than the JB version. HP numbers will not change much over JB version. There was a couple tests they did awhile back and there was not much difference at all.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^the truth. bb won't make the turbo spool any ealier in the rpm range, but it will spool quicker inbetween shifts. The green has been called a great pump gas turbo, but that doesn't mean it makes more power than other FP turbos on pump. Just pick the one you want according to how much lag ur willing to sacrifice for power. I went green from 10.5 VIII turbo, and miss the response of the oem turbo. I picked up about 50whp swapping only the turbo and tuning (I have crappy cams tho). If ur just looking for a little more punch for a pump gas DD, green is the way to go
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scothu
So I heard the fp green is best for 91 fuel and could possibly produce more hp at 25psi than the red or black. Now the BB fp's are out, so I was wondering if the red is the new green. This is also my daily driver and will never see a different type of fuel nor meth. I have a built head, 1050cc injectors, and bolt ons (stock block) making 320hp on a mustang dyno. I'm wondering what hp the new green or red would get me too. Thanks.
why just FP turbo? both Hks 7460R and bbk full are great turbo.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by scothu
Isn't the BB Red similar to the non BB green in spool/transient response? Isn't the red or black more street viable because of the switch to BB?
Spool is no faster HOWEVER having had a Non BB FP RED and then a BB FP Red I can tell you street-ability is Vastly improved. I cannot stress how much that turbo snaps to attention over the JB unit. The mid Range torque is so much better and you can be lazy between shifts and the boost is always there vs the JB where you constantly had to coerce it's performance and be quick on the shift.

IMHO get the RED, perfect turbo especially for 91 as the Green would snap to attention too quick and may get you detonation where as the RED holds torque MUCH longer up top and will make more power as it is more efficient than the Green.

There is lag, about 500 More than stock or so but your powerband will be increased an additional 1000 RPMs (Make power to 8K or more if you have the mods to handle it).

Get the RED, it'll also grow with you it is a 9 Second Turbo in JB form.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
....bb won't make the turbo spool any ealier in the rpm range.. but it will spool quicker inbetween shifts..... Just pick the one you want according to how much lag ur willing to sacrifice for power. I went green from 10.5 VIII turbo, and miss the response of the oem turbo. I picked up about 50whp.... If ur just looking for a little more punch for a pump gas DD, green is the way to go
YogSaahoth: Are you rockin the BB green, or the JB Green?

Last edited by sparky; Mar 31, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

High_PSI probably has it right. I have read that the Green has too much torque down low and will probably ventilate your block. I had a JB Red awhile back and it was a great turbo. They have made many upgrades since I had my Red. The green is an awesome turbo also, had one of those too. You would need to keep your torque numbers under 400 though with the stock motor.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i personally like my red im at 26 psi on 91 octane, mines a journal red with over 30 k on it, making over 400 hp on straight pump gas. Always pick a turbo where you can meet or exceed your goals. Mine is an eventual 500 hp goal, so eventually i plan to go e85 and at least 30 psi, where ill hit my goal. A green might have more tq, but a tq hit wheres off and then its all hp, i like tq punch, but i like stayin into the seat with the hp haha
Old Apr 1, 2012, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
why just FP turbo? both Hks 7460R and bbk full are great turbo.
Yeah, another choice I'm considering is the CBRD bbkdbbB. Seems like it's comparable to the red and around the same price. Does the bb fp's require the oil feed line? http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...=Turbo-Upgrade

Last edited by scothu; Apr 1, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

It comes with the line if you buy it brand new. And yes it does require the new FP line.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 07:44 PM

I just received a fp green about a week ago and now it's on it's way back to fp. Supposedly the turbo was bad. Anyways, I did a bunch or research for the turbo before I purchased it. I have a similar set up as your but my head is not built. I diceided to go green cause I really wanted to keep it dd and still have a kick. The red is a good turbo if you have plans to make more power in the future but in my cause I really didn't want or need it.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 08:17 AM

I feel that if your goals are 400-450whp and don't want to worry about maxing out the turbo and running a stock block then the FP green is for you. Doesn't matter if you go jb or bb, however the longevity of the turbo will be better with the BB, which is why it costs more. Anything over 450whp with room to grow then go with the fp red.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
^^ word to all, i know im going fpred with their exhaust manifold and 3.5 ets fmic, in the near future.

Quick Reply: which FP is best for 25psi on 91