Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"Where does this Bolt go?!" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Where does this Bolt go?!" Thread

I have disassembled and reassembled many an Evo. done a few part outs and put a shell or 2 together yet some how i still have tons of bolts. losing bolts breaking bolts and misplacing bolts is a factor even for the well thought out mechanic.

What i would like to try to do, with the help of some guru's, is compile a pictorial of bolts and there placement. in hopes for that day when someone picks up your well placed bolts and throws them into a grocery bag, you can still figure out where they go.

so lets get started these are the main bolts. came off a car that was together and running before being parted out.

Name:  Du38d.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  128.4 KB
Name:  FDY7q.jpg
Size:  91.6 KB
Name:  QXyYR.jpg
Size:  95.7 KB
Name:  ooXvH.jpg
Size:  105.3 KB
Name:  loJuJ.jpg
Size:  99.7 KB

organized by length.

lets think of system to label and categorize the bolts to find there placement without saying 3-10 go to the bell housing to the motor and tcase to the tranny.
im thinking along the lines of i post a pic of the tranny and tcase number label the bolts and put the pic together.

again dont even know if anyone wants to take the time to do this with me but i have the bolts and 2 more containers of them(100+) so if someone would like to help awesome if not go on about your day being organized.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, this kinda goes without saying, but all of the 10mm head, 6x1.0 thread bolts (giant group on the right) hold various things to the IM and bracketing around it, also the timing cover. The ones that are slightly shorter, don't ask me what they're for, they just kinda went back in where they fit on mine. Note that the ones with the phillip's head on them are for the spark plug cover.

Also, isn't that self-centering (19mm head?) one on the far left the driver's side motor mount?