Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I had a stage 2 rebuild by shep 1 year ago and as of the past week WITHOUT EVER BEING AT THE TRACK just daily driving my Death whine at 60MPH is BACK.;

I paid over 2 thousand dollars to never have this happen again.. I am calling them this week but figured I'd search first.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
if you aren't happy, you can also try TRE. both shops are legit
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Dang that sucks, your trans only lasted a year. did you ever find out what it was. mine is 120k miles on it and its good, no whine. been getting some grinding so sending it in. hope its a simple rebuild and hope to God it last, im a poor man

I will also write a review also and post updates of there work.

Lately ive been reading bad reviews on shep trans. 5th gear problems and 3rd. Every time its blamed on the clutch. all i want is the stock evo trans rebuild no "special" shep stuff. Double thinking sending it to him..

Last edited by Jesussaves1; Feb 22, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

thinking about giving jacks a try
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
An improperly installed or adjusted clutch can and will destroy synchronizer very quickly. EVO 5th gear is a notorious *****. It goes bad on stock cars. My buddy had a new 8 and his 5th went bad 2times in 20k. Mitsubishi synchros suck. Shep is the real deal. My only issue ever is that he is a little too passive. He "recommends" redline or stock fluids. But if you don't use them and there is an issue he states there will be no warranty. I would change the wording to require. Other than that no issues ever. Two of my friends have transmissions there right now getting all done with billet output tube and 4.11 final drive along with some other niceties. I have a Shep tcase with helical LSD and have had great success. No regrets with Shep at all.
Originally Posted by Jesussaves1
Dang that sucks, your trans only lasted a year. did you ever find out what it was. mine is 120k miles on it and its good, no whine. been getting some grinding so sending it in. hope its a simple rebuild and hope to God it last, im a poor man

I will also write a review also and post updates of there work.

Lately ive been reading bad reviews on shep trans. 5th gear problems and 3rd. Every time its blamed on the clutch. all i want is the stock evo trans rebuild no "special" shep stuff. Double thinking sending it to him..
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRE is hard to get in touch with.

Heard of Jack's but never dealt with them personally (I think they do MAP's trans/tcase work.

Trevor always answers the phone. Its small b ut huge thing. Sometimes they get backed up. And it always seems to cost about 2k regardless if the transmission seemed fine before you sent it in but I'm sure there are some "standard" things they do to ensure that if their name is on it, the quality will be up to snuff.

To the OP did John EXPLAIN why the invoice went up to your satisfaction or did they meet you in a place that amenable to you in terms of money owed?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:34 PM

Ive got about 7k miles on my shep built street/strip trans and not one single complaint. Shifts better than ever and perfectly quiet. The service was exceptional and timely even for me being in Canada! Great people to deal with and definitely getting all my future business hands down. Nothing to worry about with Shep!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:52 PM

I have been planning on having my 6 speed built by him soon. I have spoken to my tuner, and multiple tuners who all have great things to say. I wouldnt bring my business anywhere else based on professional references.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Shep is definitely the only route I would go, he will take care of you. I live 3 minutes away from his house and has helped me time and time again.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

i just sent my tran's there yesterday, he should be seeing my tran's some time monday. So ill be waiting for that call with trevor to go over what i wanna do with it. I think my tran's is 100% fine i blew up my clutch so why not build it now.

putting 4.11's in it, looking forward to see how it is.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's pretty common for the price you expect to be different then the bill with drivetrain. Reality is, there are often things wrong in what appear to be "perfectly good" drivetrain parts. Stuff that is on it's way out but hasn't catastrophically failed yet. If Shep is saying the price is higher because he replaced more then the basics, it's because he found something wrong.

It's not likely they are going to stop in the middle of the overhaul to call you up and get your approval for a part. Think about it. The part is bad, they aren't going to risk their reputation by putting your ****ty used parts back in and your not going to say "the hell with it, ship me back my parts unassembled" at that point. Thus you get a completed part that was more expensive then what you expected, but it's for a good reason.

All that said, my rear diff went back to Shep three times before I finally gave up and sent it to TRE. Shep did his best to fix the issue and ate the cost of labor on the repairs, but at $50 shipping each way, a $350 rear diff upgrade ended up costing me like $1400. I can only hope that TRE has fixed it this time around. He did find a decent amount of run-out in the side cover and a loose bearing clearance on the Shep diff after about 100 miles of use. This could have explained the noise I was getting.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
All that said, my rear diff went back to Shep three times before I finally gave up and sent it to TRE. Shep did his best to fix the issue and ate the cost of labor on the repairs, but at $50 shipping each way, a $350 rear diff upgrade ended up costing me like $1400. I can only hope that TRE has fixed it this time around. He did find a decent amount of run-out in the side cover and a loose bearing clearance on the Shep diff after about 100 miles of use. This could have explained the noise I was getting.
my TRE max lock is sitting waiting to be installed. I can't wait...

My only problem with Shep was an extremely long turn around time... that sucked. For my t-case they were helpful in working with wavetrac for warranty stuff.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Everything was resolved with shep. He came down on the price a bit I compromised and replaced something else he recommended it was a big invoice in my eyes but its now been about 8months since the t case n trans went in and it's working perfect. I'm making big tq and honestly expected to blow something by now, and haven't. I've also recently opened both t case n tranny just to inspect and everything was in ordered with normal wear. So thanks shep n everyone on here for any help given.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
i just sent my tran's there yesterday, he should be seeing my tran's some time monday. So ill be waiting for that call with trevor to go over what i wanna do with it. I think my tran's is 100% fine i blew up my clutch so why not build it now.

putting 4.11's in it, looking forward to see how it is.
been just about 2 weeks "april 1st they had it." not even a phone call yet to go over the build.

they told me 2 weeks max turn around before i sent it in.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:09 PM

seen this thread and would like to post my experience. in the end of 2011 i had ordered and purchased a brand new 5 speed ultimate ratio trans. for my evo 8. the trans. was over 3 grand. it really never felt quite right from the get go with rough engagement through the gears and unusual vibration could be felt through the shifter knob when in gear just cruising. i run a single organic disk and the car has your usual bolt on performance parts. i enjoy participating in hpde events and on my first one since the new trans. it would jump out of 4th gear then others. i have spoke to others who shipped back their transmissions to shep when they had premature problems and their response was always "you did it by abuse or your clutch destroyed the trans". well i was sure the trans they sold me was bad but was not about to chance sending back so they can tell me the same. so, i had it opened up on my dollar to know for sure. we found strange wear patterns on the side of the gears which at first we thought was a machining problem. pictures were taken, phone calls were made to trevor / john. these guys did nothing and as a mater of fact i still wanted to know why it happened. the trans was shipped to a competent evo trans builder were the mystery was solved, shep transmissions left out a spacer in the build and it began to self destruct. i got my answer ! this experience cost me alot of money but showed me what shep stands for. tell you the truth i was very surprised at them since my friends cars (blue demon, silver built and a nissan gtr all got their transmissions from shep at ams) so be careful their are smaller guys with just as good experience if not better then shep. oh by the way they sold the trans to me with an upgraded final drive which i never ordered, crazy hu !

Quick Reply: Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans