Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
MAYBE it's a staff change.... Sometimes good people leave replaced by cheaper, less effective staff. I'm sure Shep doesn't work on all his transmissions thus relegating the work to others OR just getting tired and bored of seeing the same damn transmissions all the time
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I think it would be interesting to see when people got serviced by sheptrans. The earlier customers might have got better service. Around 2008-2010 their service was impeccable.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverevo05
MAYBE it's a staff change.... Sometimes good people leave replaced by cheaper, less effective staff. I'm sure Shep doesn't work on all his transmissions thus relegating the work to others OR just getting tired and bored of seeing the same damn transmissions all the time
yea, you know that's very possible but just surprised how they responded to my complaint and factual findings. i really expected them to take a much more professional approach. oh well, still love the evo !
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
purely speculative, but I doubt he works on almost any of these 'normal' job transmissions anymore
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

I delt with both Jon at TRE and John at Shep.

Both experiences were great and touch wood, my trans, tc from shep have been great and my rear diff from TRE has also been awesome. Havent put them to the test yet but from driving around for the breakin, its been great! You cant expect anything but quality from either shop.... but mistakes do happen sometimes As long as responsibility is taken where it is required, then all is good But in almost all cases, companies will not see it as there fault even if it is and will somehow but the blame on the customer (dont expect this to ever change either, its sad but true)

Chris

As a side note, I really do hope that both Jon at TRE and John at Shep do get there hands dirty on these drivetrain componets... they arent cheap, and the service and quality recieved should be flawless, especially speaking about their top tier packages... like the ones I bought... One can only hope

Last edited by foxbear2277; Apr 12, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull out ya trans and DIY thats my MO. These Transmission are pretty easy to repair, You just need a caliper, Mic and Torque Wrench. A total understanding on how syncros work and A press or a brass Drift, And a Call to Misu for the parts.
I blue Printed my trans and went a tad bit more on the preloads and had .001 endplay in the input. I did a little work to the Syncros to ensure smooth Shifting, i just took her out yesterday after it was all said and done and it shifts Amazingly, Total Rebuild cost me about 1k in parts but that is everything every single bearing every single syncro all the sliders and shift forks all seals and oil. Now i have a Strong built Trans with a quaife center diff and tighter preloads but not to tight as to bearings would wear down faster. I used a APP to find the bell curve for the bearing preloads it measures Strength,Flex under load of shaft and wear. Shows you how much preload to use to limit flex of the shaft and have the most life out of the bearing.

for the Tcase id rebuild that myself too, but i got a deal on a already built one with a quaife in it.
Also this wouldnt be my first rebuild, ive built T5 trans that have handled 750 Ftlbs on a SBC and 9 bolt borgwarner austrialian LSD rear ends that have seen 900 Ftlbs.
Its almost at the point where im ready to start rebuilding these for people on the Reg just to help out.

Last edited by blowngasket; Apr 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
Pull out ya trans and DIY thats my MO. These Transmission are pretty easy to repair, You just need a caliper, Mic and Torque Wrench. A total understanding on how syncros work and A press or a brass Drift, And a Call to Misu for the parts.
I blue Printed my trans and went a tad bit more on the preloads and had .001 endplay in the input. I did a little work to the Syncros to ensure smooth Shifting, i just took her out yesterday after it was all said and done and it shifts Amazingly, Total Rebuild cost me about 1k in parts but that is everything every single bearing every single syncro all the sliders and shift forks all seals and oil. Now i have a Strong built Trans with a quaife center diff and tighter preloads but not to tight as to bearings would wear down faster. I used a APP to find the bell curve for the bearing preloads it measures Strength,Flex under load of shaft and wear. Shows you how much preload to use to limit flex of the shaft and have the most life out of the bearing.

for the Tcase id rebuild that myself too, but i got a deal on a already built one with a quaife in it.
Also this wouldnt be my first rebuild, ive built T5 trans that have handled 750 Ftlbs on a SBC and 9 bolt borgwarner austrialian LSD rear ends that have seen 900 Ftlbs.
Its almost at the point where im ready to start rebuilding these for people on the Reg just to help out.
wish you said this 2 weeks ago, i feel like im getting the ring around at shep. I hope not tho, ill find out Monday
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe someone should email him this thread to let him know that there are concerns regarding his transmissions here
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
wish you said this 2 weeks ago, i feel like im getting the ring around at shep. I hope not tho, ill find out Monday
sorry it would take me about 3 days to rebuild your trans after i got it. And the 3 days is just waiting for the parts at my mitsu dealer. It would take longer [14 business days] and cost about $1400 more if you wanted a quaife Center diff, cause you would need the bearings and the speedo gear and the center diff comes from england but most people dont do the quaife center diff cause the center diff is decent in the 5 speed, just the output tube.

Only parts i was shocked at the price at was the dam spacers for the bearings, those are actualy expensive they are about 15 each!!! i was like WTF, everything else is pretty much what you expect to pay for a syncro or bearing. Also id say to use AMsoil in it, that seems to be the best oil ive used and ive tried them all so far.

Last edited by blowngasket; Apr 13, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
sorry it would take me about 3 days to rebuild your trans after i got it. And the 3 days is just waiting for the parts at my mitsu dealer. It would take longer [14 business days] and cost about $1400 more if you wanted a quaife Center diff, cause you would need the bearings and the speedo gear and the center diff comes from england but most people dont do the quaife center diff cause the center diff is decent in the 5 speed, just the output tube.

Only parts i was shocked at the price at was the dam spacers for the bearings, those are actualy expensive they are about 15 each!!! i was like WTF, everything else is pretty much what you expect to pay for a syncro or bearing. Also id say to use AMsoil in it, that seems to be the best oil ive used and ive tried them all so far.
Yea im doing the whole thing there, 4.11's , Evo 8 3rd-4th, Billet input shaft, pretty much EVERYTHING.. I was told 2 weeks at the longest "This was right when i bought the Shep trans box.", It has been 2 weeks and we havnt even gone over my build sheet! I dont mind waiting at all i understand they are bizzy, but when a place/shop tells you a time frame they should live up to that. I had plans for my car "putting it in and taking off work ect around that time frame." I was told my Trevor @ Shep they might be out of 4.11's now "yesterday." But they had my trans for 2 weeks you would think they would look over the order sheet seeing it on my build sheet and to see if they had the 4.11's in stock or not and if they didnt i would hope from there supplier it would be less then 2 weeks to get. Lets hope he has them laying around monday when i hear back from them.

I dont want people getting twisted. I am not mad at shep, i had a TC done by them 2 years ago, it look them 2 weeks like they said, and the thing gave me 0 problems "reason i wanted to do business with them again." I just dont like someone telling me somthing false. You tell me 2 weeks and it will be done at latest, i plan for 2 weeks. Its been 2 weeks not even a build sheet review yet and come to find out you might not have 4.11's now? WTF

Last edited by 5LEEPERISAH23I; Apr 13, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my transmission done by Shep and after 100 miles it stopped working. I took it apart and it was full of gummy bears. There wasn't even any gears in it. They were delicious though.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by foxbear2277
I delt with both Jon at TRE and John at Shep.

Both experiences were great and touch wood, my trans, tc from shep have been great and my rear diff from TRE has also been awesome. Havent put them to the test yet but from driving around for the breakin, its been great! You cant expect anything but quality from either shop.... but mistakes do happen sometimes As long as responsibility is taken where it is required, then all is good But in almost all cases, companies will not see it as there fault even if it is and will somehow but the blame on the customer (dont expect this to ever change either, its sad but true)

Chris

As a side note, I really do hope that both Jon at TRE and John at Shep do get there hands dirty on these drivetrain componets... they arent cheap, and the service and quality recieved should be flawless, especially speaking about their top tier packages... like the ones I bought... One can only hope
Jon @ TRE does every single part himself with his own two hands. That's why it's hard to get a hold of him.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Two weeks? They've had my trans for a month and I was quoted 10 days.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

This is kind of depressing to hear... I was planning on bringing my tranny down to him next weekend but I don't want to wait over 2 weeks to have it rebuilt...
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Shep Trans

I have had several transmissions and Transfer cases rebuilt by Shep and never had a problem. Not all mine I have helped several Evo owners fix their car. I try to help out anyone that owns an Evo or a DSM. Just ask the kid that owns that Laguna Seca blue EVO. When you say the charges are different make sure you understand all of the charges that you may incur. The box is charge nobody accounts for shep will only take a tranny or TC if it is in his box. Mainly because of all the broken ones shipped to him before. So that is so much for the box and little extra for shipping for them. Also make sure you look at the break down of everything they replaced. The standard is for a standard set of fixes if they have replace something that is not normal you have to pay a little extra. Then also remember your shipping back to the shop. Shep has been a great company to deal with over the years. Sorry your experience was not.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans