Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LEEPERISAH23I
Yea im doing the whole thing there, 4.11's , Evo 8 3rd-4th, Billet input shaft, pretty much EVERYTHING.. I was told 2 weeks at the longest "This was right when i bought the Shep trans box.", It has been 2 weeks and we havnt even gone over my build sheet! I dont mind waiting at all i understand they are bizzy, but when a place/shop tells you a time frame they should live up to that. I had plans for my car "putting it in and taking off work ect around that time frame." I was told my Trevor @ Shep they might be out of 4.11's now "yesterday." But they had my trans for 2 weeks you would think they would look over the order sheet seeing it on my build sheet and to see if they had the 4.11's in stock or not and if they didnt i would hope from there supplier it would be less then 2 weeks to get. Lets hope he has them laying around monday when i hear back from them.

I dont want people getting twisted. I am not mad at shep, i had a TC done by them 2 years ago, it look them 2 weeks like they said, and the thing gave me 0 problems "reason i wanted to do business with them again." I just dont like someone telling me somthing false. You tell me 2 weeks and it will be done at latest, i plan for 2 weeks. Its been 2 weeks not even a build sheet review yet and come to find out you might not have 4.11's now? WTF
I was in that same situation in late 2011. I broke my trans and tcase, and I decided to send in my trans/tcase/rear diff for rebuilds and full upgrades. Everything except for the albins gearset for the tcase (stage2 will be just fine for me). I wanted my car back on the road in 1 month, which is why I sent everything to sheptrans instead of TRE. Money was not an issue, and I had my tcase/rear diff and a had a forum member ship a 5spd trans to them in 2 weeks.

It was supposed to be a 2 week job like they usually claim but it ended up being 3 months. The tcase and rear diff were done and sitting 3-4 weeks after they got them but the trans took forever. Took them 4 weeks to send me a $1000 invoice of everything extra thats wrong with it. I was suspicious if all that was really wrong (was advertised as a 50k trans in good shape) but shep knows their stuff so not doubting them.

But after that it was another month wait for that stupid 4.11 gear. I was actually calling other trans shops to see if they'd ship sheptrans one. 94awdcoupe told me that "HKS 4.11 fd" is really an OEM piece and showed me pics....yea he was right lol. Could have ordered one from mitsu. Long story short I told them I needed my car on the road within one week, and told them to ship my tcase/rear diff back separately in case they could not meet that deadline. They ended up finding one at the last minute (didn't have time to REM it but didn't give a crap at that point) and I got my trans finally in.

I've been driving on that shep hardware ever since. I've put just about 30k miles on them. Unfortunately the rear diff started making a whining noise and it cost me $500 in unecessary labour and shipping/customs to have him replace a bearing under warranty (plus another 1 month turn-around). Otherwise everything works as advertised and the trans shifts kinda balky when cold but really nice when warm (redline mt85).

Bottom line expect lots of delays but the goods in the end are up to expectations.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.11 can be had as OEM you say? do we have a part # i can see my price and turn around time.Ill look into that. Im seriously considering rebuilding transmissions here in chicago now. My turn around time would be consideribly less.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djdnav
Two weeks? They've had my trans for a month and I was quoted 10 days.
yea lets hope im not in the same boat. This car is my DD that wont fly well.

Originally Posted by car_nut15
This is kind of depressing to hear... I was planning on bringing my tranny down to him next weekend but I don't want to wait over 2 weeks to have it rebuilt...
well i sent mine in a april 1st "they had it" still havnt gone over the build sheet yet." i was told 2 weeks back to my house.

Originally Posted by deeman101
I was in that same situation in late 2011. I broke my trans and tcase, and I decided to send in my trans/tcase/rear diff for rebuilds and full upgrades. Everything except for the albins gearset for the tcase (stage2 will be just fine for me). I wanted my car back on the road in 1 month, which is why I sent everything to sheptrans instead of TRE. Money was not an issue, and I had my tcase/rear diff and a had a forum member ship a 5spd trans to them in 2 weeks.

It was supposed to be a 2 week job like they usually claim but it ended up being 3 months. The tcase and rear diff were done and sitting 3-4 weeks after they got them but the trans took forever. Took them 4 weeks to send me a $1000 invoice of everything extra thats wrong with it. I was suspicious if all that was really wrong (was advertised as a 50k trans in good shape) but shep knows their stuff so not doubting them.

But after that it was another month wait for that stupid 4.11 gear. I was actually calling other trans shops to see if they'd ship sheptrans one. 94awdcoupe told me that "HKS 4.11 fd" is really an OEM piece and showed me pics....yea he was right lol. Could have ordered one from mitsu. Long story short I told them I needed my car on the road within one week, and told them to ship my tcase/rear diff back separately in case they could not meet that deadline. They ended up finding one at the last minute (didn't have time to REM it but didn't give a crap at that point) and I got my trans finally in.

I've been driving on that shep hardware ever since. I've put just about 30k miles on them. Unfortunately the rear diff started making a whining noise and it cost me $500 in unecessary labour and shipping/customs to have him replace a bearing under warranty (plus another 1 month turn-around). Otherwise everything works as advertised and the trans shifts kinda balky when cold but really nice when warm (redline mt85).

Bottom line expect lots of delays but the goods in the end are up to expectations.
Yea, they told me the 4.11 story friday on the phone. I hope they have it in stock if not im screwed . I was thinking of going to BR bec i heard they are very fast but Shep told me 2 weeks i was like id reather go to them over BR due to my good experiance with my TC with them. They told me 2 weeks, it was 2 weeks.

This Tranmission story is turning into a nightmare. AND my transmisson was a good working one, nothing was wrong with it. So i shouldnt get any extra fee's i would think not. If not im going to be very courious of the charges bec i came out 100% working.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
OEM part # for the 4.11 is in the last few posts of this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...4-11-gear.html

Sometimes Trevor told me things I knew were wrong btw. Ex: reverse gear sensor is the same between 5 and 6spd, etc. And that deal with the OEM 4.11 flexing (see thread above).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well i heard back from Shep today. I cant be mad, they found 4.11's IN STOCK in there shop so i cant complain. I should have my trans back next friday!

Im sure it will be bad *ss!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a good end result, I wouldnt be mad any more ether
Old Apr 17, 2013, 04:12 AM

I've dealt with John and his customer service was excellent. Considering im from Australia his replies was so prompt and really really helpful. Once I sorted out the parts I was then dealing with Trevor and he was pretty good to keeping me up to date with where we are at. Shipping internationally was well priced too.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DVS_09
I've dealt with John and his customer service was excellent. Considering im from Australia his replies was so prompt and really really helpful. Once I sorted out the parts I was then dealing with Trevor and he was pretty good to keeping me up to date with where we are at. Shipping internationally was well priced too.
X2 in Australia and excellent service delivery price and communication
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Nothing but good things about Shep, my Evo has their Stage 3 ACD T-Case, which came with the car I bought, but when removing the engine and unbolting the t-case from the tranny, a piece of cover came off the t-case, it was cracked and fell off. After a quick call to Shep, they said it's not a problem - they've inspected and refreshed the whole t-case and put it in the new casing for a very reasonable price and quick turnaround. Thumbs up for ShepTrans and hopefully you guys get your issues resolved too.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

I've been around for awhile but I just wanted to chime in and give my RECENT experiences with Shep.

E-mailed, asked about turn around time. Told 2 weeks after its received.
Sending my transmission in for standard street / strip rebuild.
Transmission was received on 4/2/2013
4/15 I received a quote of $2,308
Yes, I know seems crazy to me also. Let's keep in mind I didn't request anything additional from the street/strip package but ended up with a 'Ultimate Ratio' quote.
Note: They are not merely fixing the transmission to be 'perfect' they are up selling me.

You know, I would be fine with the whole deal. But after being told that all 03 transmissions that come through there need input shafts makes me think... Would it be so hard to include that kind of information on the website?

Its almost bait and switch in that aspect, if all require it for your services then you should list that.

Lastly, if you give someone a quote on 4/15 the date at the top should reflect that. Not two weeks prior.

I really wish I hadn't ever sent it to them.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:56 PM

im looking to get my trans done and was looking at either shep or jacks.. might go with jacks
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Kind of unrelated to shipping/receiving trans from Shep, but has anyone had problems with their website? I was looking at their Rear Diff section, and it comes up with a blank page, and nothing loads
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have a shep trans in my car and love it. Likely I bought mu UR trans from a vendor and they had just finished doing the conversion....I ended up having to by a complete trans because shipping one from Canada gets pricey, and the lead time issue (as has been mentioned).

I like the trans, shifts well so far (although its only be a couple thousand miles).
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

I dropped my car off at the shop march 13th to have my transfer case rebuilt by shep. I am still waiting. I've spent more cash on a rental car than on the rebuild haha I sure hope it is worth the wait.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 02:21 PM

Losing faith

Shep has had my transfer case and tranny for 2weeks + and I've yet to receive a quote. I've talked with Trevor and Leah(shipping) numerous times, and each time I talk to Trevor he is very helpful, and easy to work with - each time stating 'I'll get that quote out to you today' only except, nothing ever shows up.

I shipped my t-case and trans all the way from California because from what I could tell, only heard good things about them. But I'm really starting to get irritated.

Does anyone have John's email address? is it just john _at_ sheptrans.com?

Quick Reply: Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans