Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've dealt with everyone at Shep Trans numerous times and have never had any issues at all.

John, Trevor, Gary, etc have always been easy to talk to and usually i get responses back from them very quickly!

You can try e-mailing John (sales@sheptrans.com) i believe but even if he does not reply i usually get something from another employee listed above
Old Sep 2, 2014, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well.... I somewhat had an issue with shep trans.

Nothing outrageous, basically a large miscommunication. I was asking about clutches when I got my transmission rebuild and asked what clutch he would recommend, which he said the exedy 5803HD, heavy duty single disc clutch. So I wanted that added to my order. When he came back with the price of my normally $900 transmission rebuild, he said it would be $2000, so I assumed that my tranny needed some work as he explained and it would be about $1400-$1500, and the $500 clutch brought the total up to $2000,

When the transmission came it, I didn't have a clutch. I called and asked where it was, they said I never ordered it. I explained that we talked about which one they recommend and I told them to add it to there order, or else I would not have bought one seeing how I already spend about $1000 more than I expected to. So I ended up paying around $2600 for a clutch and tranny which sucked....

Even worse, I called them a year later about possibly having crankwalk. They didn't even put me on the phone with a technician, the receptionist just briefly asked one of them about it. She just relayed to me " they've heard of it, but it's rare in an evo 8".

To add insult to injury, ( this is not anything I blame sheptrans for), I took my car to the dealer to get diagnosed. Sure enough, I had crankwalk, and they said most likely due to the heavy duty single disc clutch as those are the worst kind for harsh engagement which eventually causes crankwalk..... So the clutch that they recommended... ended up ruining my engine.

I don't blame them for this, it is relatively uncommon. I would have just like a disclaimer saying "hey, this may be harsh on your engine, take these steps to help prevent crankwalk...", or say "I wouldn't recommend this clutch if you have stock thrust bearings as it is known to cause crankwalk"

Overall that wasn't so much their fault but definitely bothered me. But the miscommunication was pretty irritating especially with how much the transmission ended up costing as I thought my clutch was added to the order when it wasn't.

Can't knock their quality at all, I know everybody will stand up for that, but my experience could have been a little better.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

I've bought a shep built transmission from a member on here. After 1500 miles (3 trips to the track, and about 15 launches) it started having 2nd gear lockout and grinding and 4th gear grinding. Maybe I was too harsh on it. I came from a Honda which I abused day and night and never had any issues. Also was told that my exedy triple could have been the culprit.

Needless to say, a rebuild was needed. So I called all the major players (TRE, Jacks, Shep). All three companies in my mind had bad customer service in some way shape or form. I eventually chose Jacks, not really sure why except I wanted to try someone else besides Shep, and TRE was impossible to get in touch with. Jacks tells me that they do not even warrant transmissions with an exedy triple because it is such a heavy clutch. So I had to get a new clutch as well to keep warranty. I have not driven on the transmission yet, and my new build will be at over 800whp, but I did every upgrade available so I am praying all goes well.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
TRE ftw. Loving my drivetrain!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

never had any issues with shep racing. the best customer service and always up front about everything.