Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Metal on Metal Sound

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal on Metal Sound

All right everyone, before I start this thread, please try as much as possible not to say "search" about this subject because I've went through this site numerous of times and have not been able to find something similar. I appreciate everyone that participates with this thread because a LOT of you guys were Evo owners way before me. Here goes:

2 years ago, I've had a particular sound from my car that I have YET to determine where it's coming from. If I rev my motor beyond 3800k, it sounds like metal on metal (similar to coins in a can). I've been idle, under load, etc and this sound automatically comes up at 3800k and stays that way all the way up. Now, I've done plenty of highway trips of over 100 miles with the same sound. Originally, I suspected the worst, which is rod knock or spun bearing. I've changed my own oil since day one of me owning her and I have yet to see any kind of flakes or metal shavings inside the oil. Keep in mind, I have not dropped the oil pan to determine it. The highest rpm I can recall ever hitting is 7000 rpm and that only happened once. I finally have time to check thoroughly (due to family issues where i was leaving the state on average once every 2 weeks) and would like to know of ALL possibilities that this metal on metal sound could be. Or, if anyone has ever experienced this, please chime in. Once again, all help is greatly appreciated
Old Apr 8, 2012, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it coming from the the engine bay or the engine itself? Did this noise start after installing any Mods? I would start off by checking for loose nuts and bolts particularly around the engine mounts, there are 4 including tranny mounts, doing a sweep of the engine bay probably isn't a bad idea either. Just my .02

Good Luck.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have you done a timing belt on it at all lately?? usually a metal on metal sound is caused by a 180* out balance shaft. Could possibly be your transfer case taking a dump, best bet to rule out your transfer case, get up to highway speeds, throw it in neutral around that rpms your hearing it, and see if its still there. IF so then its possibly trans case or rear diff related, if it goes away then its tranny related. Id shake down your front end suspension and rear suspension, for any unusual amount of play.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:07 PM

exhaust manifold heat sheild not tightened down to the manifold? (personal experience) lol.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 03:13 PM

Timing belt was done February of 2010. I'm going to try the transfer case test tonight to rule that out. I'd rather go through another transfer case than an engine rebuild at the moment. I already have intentions of changing the transfer case fluid on Friday, So I'll look for shavings. Didnt suspect tranny, t-case or rear diff at all. As far as the heat shield, I'll rule that one out in a few minutes.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 03:36 PM

Heat shield is ruled out. As far As transfer case is concerned, I will say why I didn't believe so: I was looking for the "death whine". However, it makes no whining noise at all during acceleration. But that will be tested tonight on my way to work.