Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Volt gauge Question.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Volt gauge Question.....

Why people use VOLT gauge in their cars??? is that for Audio issue or what i dont get it...(battery life?)
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well there a probably a lot of people that don't really know why they have one but I will try to explain it.

A fully charged wet cell car battery puts out 12.8 volts not 12.
One advantage to see the battery state with the car not running.

Second when the car is running, on average the charging system will read close to 14V with little load. When the load is increased with headlights etc it will drop down some. It really should never hit the 12.8 number or below. Otherwise the massive amp is putting too much load on the charging system.

It can also be an early sign to either the battery or charging system in early failure. Ironic you posted this today because my battery light came on on the way home (second car).
On that note, a good majority of the time the battery light comes on when the alternator dies. The light is turned on because the voltage regulator or a rectifier bridge has gone open and stops the alternator from putting out.

Finally on that note, there is no such thing as an Alternator! Some how when the voltage regulator was moved inside the Generator it changed names. It does not Alternate anything and it does not produce Alternate current. But hey people call an Engine a motor so what can you do.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by timzcat
Well there a probably a lot of people that don't really know why they have one but I will try to explain it.

A fully charged wet cell car battery puts out 12.8 volts not 12.
One advantage to see the battery state with the car not running.

Second when the car is running, on average the charging system will read close to 14V with little load. When the load is increased with headlights etc it will drop down some. It really should never hit the 12.8 number or below. Otherwise the massive amp is putting too much load on the charging system.

It can also be an early sign to either the battery or charging system in early failure. Ironic you posted this today because my battery light came on on the way home (second car).
On that note, a good majority of the time the battery light comes on when the alternator dies. The light is turned on because the voltage regulator or a rectifier bridge has gone open and stops the alternator from putting out.

Finally on that note, there is no such thing as an Alternator! Some how when the voltage regulator was moved inside the Generator it changed names. It does not Alternate anything and it does not produce Alternate current. But hey people call an Engine a motor so what can you do.
Thanks! Learned something new today!