Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo starts but won't start up a second time for several minutes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Evo starts but won't start up a second time for several minutes

My Evo will start up and idle but only after I catch it with some throttle input otherwise, it'll die. If it dies after first start up or I start the car and kill it, the car won't start again for 10-15 minutes no matter what.

Been having this issue ever since I swapped injector to FIC 950s and got a Tephra XML file from Jestr over a month ago, before that the car started every try and idle perfectly. Even swapping the stock injectors with stock scaling and latency back in while using Tephra, it still had the same issues.

MAFS is good, MAP sensor and IAC valve have been replaced. Timing is correct as I also have swapped the stock cams in and re-checked the timing with the same outcome. Leakdown was at 1-2% on all cylinder as the engine only has 2 miles on it. I've received no less than 10 maps from Jestr, all with the same issue. I've even had Freddie@Spec-Ops(thanks again for your time) check out Jestrs maps and he says they look good but also said that using Tephra wouldn't be the issue but I've read about others using Tephra having the exact same problem. I'm sure it's not the tuning itself but I'm running out of ideas and going to a stock ROM seems to be the next step but I'm open to any suggestions. Jestr did not have me save my stock ROM or map and I'm new to EcuFlash so I don't know how to set that up. This is the only thing keeping me from driving it as I don't want to get stranded somewhere with a car that won't start.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem when my cam sensor was failing the car would start up and after warming up it would start idling ruff,then shut off. When i would go to restart it it would just crank and sound like it would want to start but the car woukd have to sit for at least 20 mins before it would again the the same.problem would occur. Its worth a try a i guess gl
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vinNybXx
I had the same problem when my cam sensor was failing the car would start up and after warming up it would start idling ruff,then shut off. When i would go to restart it it would just crank and sound like it would want to start but the car woukd have to sit for at least 20 mins before it would again the the same.problem would occur. Its worth a try a i guess gl
I'll check that out, I've had a crank angle sensor fail and the car just cranked but not the cam sensor. Thanks for the input.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Tried a new cam sensor and I'm still have the same start up/idle issues. I'm suspecting the FPR now, I found fuel puddled in the intake manifold and didn't know how it got there. I pulled the vacuum hose on the FPR and plugged it, I noticed no change in idle. Also, my plugs are constantly covered in thick black soot even after a few minutes of idling on a new set and after being cleaned up. Only SES codes I'm getting are EGR and rear 02 related which are removed. Anyone had a FPR go bad and had these symptoms?