Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

aftermarket clutch review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:24 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was thinking maybe the performance forum should be re-organized into:

Engine/Turbo
Engine Management
Drivetrain
Suspension & Brakes
Wheels & Tires

What do you think?
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read a post here in the UK on a HKS twin plate the guy said that the clutches are strong and when they go they do go gradually. He also said that he only needed to replace on of the plates as the other had little wear!
Old Feb 19, 2004, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had the HKS GD max installed last night - the chatter is way LOUD! Pretty dam annoying so far - also have to baby it for 500 miles with little boost and low rpms -
Old Feb 19, 2004, 05:27 AM

Does anyone have the Exedy twin plate set up? That's the one I'm thinking of buying and I was curious to see how that set up is working.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Clutchmasters Stage3 kit. Haven't had a problem yet. No smell, nothing. I only launched it about 5-10 times, and boy did it throw me back on my seat.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by badlooser
I have about 1500 miles on a HKS GD max clutch with a ss line upgrade and polly shifter bushings. I just ran the car at the track last night and the clutch works mutch better than stock mt 60 foot time were 1.78 with no clutch smell. I say spend a few bucks more and do it right the first time.
Maybe it's my Domestic V8 upbringing but there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm paying 1500 for a clutch.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Deceit
I have the Clutchmasters Stage3 kit. Haven't had a problem yet. No smell, nothing. I only launched it about 5-10 times, and boy did it throw me back on my seat.
What kind of torque rating does that have?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:16 PM

Yeah i finally got my hks clutch installed. I love it. The chatter is loud as hell but hey its a bad *** clutch. I love all the rednecks around here asking what is wrong with the car. Man i cant wait till i get my 500 miles in lordy.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

taken from lancershop.com:

"Heavy Duty high performance street/Race system. Clutch masters stage 3 kit holding capacity is 110% over stock. Includes clutch disc, pressure plate, alignment tool, and throw out bearing. Features Steel backed Segmented Carbon/Kevlar and Sprung hub/cushioned disc. This clutch kit will easily hold 500+ HP. Fits Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8. "

I'm not sure about the torque rating, i'd have to double check.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

We have the Exedy Twin plate on the Sparco/Apex'i car and it is working well. We have launched the car hard approximately 7-8 times during one magazine test, and the clutch held up fine. However, by the end, it did feel as though it was slipping slightly. The pedal feel and ability to drive the car in daily conditions make this clutch a great option. At the time of purchase from Adam at Z1 Auto, the Cusco Carbon twin plate was not available yet. As we continue to add more HP, we might be looking at the carbon clutch or the HKS......we'll see how it holds up after the next test session.

Give Adam at Z1 a call as he was very helpful.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:22 PM

Exedy Twin Disc

It took awhile to get used to the twin disc, but I like it pretty well now. It is pretty grabby and to slow feed it is a learned touch. One thing is for sure, if you have the power the wheels are gonna spin not the clutch. I have launced at least 20 runs at the track and she is holding up fine. I wonder if the drive train is gonna do the same. I try not to slam the gears and be as smooth as possible. Since Al tuned her it needs the clutch even more. I do get a little chatter in first if I do not release smooth with some power on. All I have to compare to is the stock clutch and I am happy with the twin disc.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

I've installed ACT street clutch and it feels very much like stock with a tadmore pedal effort. Also installed the ATS triple plate carbon and also feels great. ATS has quicker takeup but smooth and very drivable in traffic which is nice. They are both about same pedal effort which is pretty light. ATS has much better feel but it should as we convert it to push type. ACT is plenty for you stock turbo guys. ATS can handle 1000 HP yet my girlfriend can drive it.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 12:19 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Guru
I've installed ACT street clutch and it feels very much like stock with a tadmore pedal effort. Also installed the ATS triple plate carbon and also feels great. ATS has quicker takeup but smooth and very drivable in traffic which is nice. They are both about same pedal effort which is pretty light. ATS has much better feel but it should as we convert it to push type. ACT is plenty for you stock turbo guys. ATS can handle 1000 HP yet my girlfriend can drive it.
Have you tried the "Soft Type" ATS yet?
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BPAuto
I was thinking maybe the performance forum should be re-organized into:

Engine/Turbo
Engine Management
Drivetrain
Suspension & Brakes
Wheels & Tires

What do you think?
I like it! There are waaay too many nuances in the EVO Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain to be grouped in just one area. If not, perhaps an advanced discussion area for the above.

Mods: Feel free to move this to another area since I know it is OT

Last edited by wkehn; Feb 23, 2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Im thinking of going with the new RPS clutch. Says it hold 550 tq. and is a street disk/single plate sounds like a good street/Drag clutch without the twin plate price. Give you reviews once I get them.

Quick Reply: aftermarket clutch review