Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Compressor cover and turbine housing designs

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012 | 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Compressor cover and turbine housing designs

There are a few different comp. cover designs out there. I mainly see the bullet style anti-surge (MAP and Precision use this), the 3 bar anti-surge cover (FP uses regularly) and standard non anti-surge. The HTA 3582 uses an interesting one but it seems (correct me if I am wrong) like the other 3 bar anti surge covers just with a longer inlet.

It seems that are a few different offerings in turbine housing designs. It seems that the TS turbine housing can be hit or miss from certain manufactures.

I noticed for caterpillar turbos that an aftermarket manufacture for comp and turbine covers had made some changes to the design in order to reduce/eliminate common failures.

There were excessive cracking or the divider wall (sounds familiar)....http://www.betterturbo.com/turbine.html and http://www.betterturbo.com/dividerwall.html

Also in the 3 bar comp covers....http://www.betterturbo.com/compressor.html

Obviously a different platform,but I wonder how this could help us. Seems like we are already using diesel tech and it to use on gasoline powered cars. We only in the past few years have turbo manufactures design turbos specifically for gasoline engines.

I am curious if anyone out there has had compressor cover failure. I know my FP Red comp. cover made it through the turbo failure. I know that the divider wall failure happens to often with certain castings. It would be nice to see a beefed up TS housing.

Last edited by mt057; May 5, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old May 5, 2012 | 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

pretty interesting....
Old May 5, 2012 | 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

I had a GT3582 .82ar with the standard non-ported comp cover and it surged badly during spool up, especially at part throttle. It made the car buck pretty badly not to mention the strain on the turbo it would be causing. So I got the cover surged ported like the precision bullet style, surge was totally gone but so was alot of midrange torque, I actually lost 80whp at 4750 rpm from this mod which really sucks! I wonder how the FP comp housing compares, I'm thinking of swapping to a HTA82 to see if I can get that power back.
Old May 5, 2012 | 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JC evo1
I had a GT3582 .82ar with the standard non-ported comp cover and it surged badly during spool up....I got the cover surged ported...surge was totally gone but so was alot of midrange torque, I....lost 80whp... I wonder how the FP comp housing compares, I'm thinking of swapping to a HTA82 to see if I can get that power back.
I, for one, hope that you rediscover those lost 80 ponies!
Old May 6, 2012 | 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JC evo1
I had a GT3582 .82ar with the standard non-ported comp cover and it surged badly during spool up, especially at part throttle. It made the car buck pretty badly not to mention the strain on the turbo it would be causing. So I got the cover surged ported like the precision bullet style, surge was totally gone but so was alot of midrange torque, I actually lost 80whp at 4750 rpm from this mod which really sucks! I wonder how the FP comp housing compares, I'm thinking of swapping to a HTA82 to see if I can get that power back.
I also had standard 35r that had surge. spent 250 with precision for bullet compressor cover. I noticed no changes whatsover. the surge was not solved. no torque losses. pissed off I wasted time and money, called FP and they just laughed. "those compressor covers dont work" upgraded to HTA with FP design cover. surge problem gone.

what ever caused your torque loss is reason your surge was gone. had nothing to do with cover.
Old May 6, 2012 | 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

I have noticed that the new GTX series is using the newer 4 bar anti-surge design instead of the three bar.

The EFR series is using the same 3 bar outlet as FP.

I have to agree it seems strange that you lost so much midrange over a comp. cover swap. I am sure that you did, but did you check for boost leaks? I have heard of people developing them where the comp. cover mates to the turbo due to the o-ring.