Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need advice on oil for engine, diff., and tranny! Opinions needed please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:00 AM
CJK
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on oil for engine, diff., and tranny! Opinions needed please

Hey guys, I know the motor oil question has been beatin to death...however, I am considering changing to AMS Oil on my next oil change...my question is, what grade? Is anyone running AMS or other synthetic?

Also, what oil are you guys changing in your Tranny and Differentials? Redline? AMS Oil? Please let me know which grade and was this difficult to change?

Thanks a lot guys for your help, I really appreciate it. Please take the time to respond and help a fellow Evo owner out.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

The search button works, really! Personally, I'm sticking to Mobil 1. Race teams use this stuff, it's probably sufficient for my needs. As far as tranny/diff oils, as long as you use a GL-4 in your tranny and a GL-5 in your center and rear diff you should be good shape. People using Redline and NEO RHD have both reported good results. I used Redline MTL for the tranny (that's a 75W90) and Redline 75w90 for the diff (also a 75w90, but it's a GL-5 whereas MTL is a GL-4). If you have a lift, you should be able to change the engine/tranny/transfer/diff oil in 1-2 hours (alllowing time to let things drain, etc). One piece of advice, change the fluids when you engine is warm/hot. the fluids will drain out a lot easier that way... just don't scald yourself ;-)
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:39 PM
CJK
Evolving Member

Thanks a lot for the reply! Anyone else have experiences with other motor oil?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:34 PM

I think it will be hard to have a statement of "this oil sucks" without some concrete proof. Most of what anyone says about the effectiveness of oil is pointless.

Base the choice upon the price of the lube you want, the additive chemistry, theoretical and previous data, and also any oil analysises you have.

Amsoil is used by quite a bit of people and used very well in certain applications. You wouldn't be remiss to use it, but check it to make sure it's working the way intended.

ferb!
Old Jan 24, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

I have used royal purple oils in all my vehicles for years from a 95 and 2000 chevy trucks to 99 t/a and also in my suzuki gsxr1000 that I used alot on the track and I never had a problem...I also ran it in my 70 chevy stepside drag truck w/o probs...Just get the right type needed for the specific part(tranny,engine, rearend)..
Old Jan 25, 2004, 01:19 AM
CJK
Evolving Member

Thanks again for the reply's...I used to run redline in my Type-r a long time ago...I could tell the difference in the higher RPM's..but I just don't know if changing to AMS since I can get it for the same as mobil one? don't know what to do
Old Jan 25, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by CJK
...but I just don't know if changing to AMS since I can get it for the same as mobil one? don't know what to do
Which Amsoil can you get for that low? I see Mobil 1 for 3.98-4.30/qt everywhere, and the best Amsoil price i've seen is 5.85.

ferb!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 05:16 PM
CJK
Evolving Member

http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/...0/Catalog/1122

I am spending more in Seattle for oil than your stated price...my last oil change I bought 10w30 mobil one (6qts.) cost me about $35...now if I can by 12qts. of AMS oil for 68...seems good to me.

Question is, is it really going to be noticable?
Old Jan 25, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by CJK
[url]I am spending more in Seattle for oil than your stated price...my last oil change I bought 10w30 mobil one (6qts.) cost me about $35...now if I can by 12qts. of AMS oil for 68...seems good to me.
Damn. Thats some pricey Mobil 1. I'll amend my statement-- at autoparts houses (Autozone, Kragen/Checker, Pep Boys) it's ~4.98, but at Walmart here it's 4.39 and Target has it for 4.19.

The ATM is good oil, no question. Little different chemistry than Mobil 1 and i like that part. But shipping to here included, it's 78 bucks and i don't think you get THAT much better oil for $6.50/qt.

I'm impressed generally impressed by results of Amsoil, but the shipping charges and the marketing wear on me. your call, but maybe scope out a better deal on M1 in your area.

ferb!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:42 PM
CJK
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply Ferb!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

if you go on RRE's site, they have their fluid recomendations for DSM's, im sure those recomendations would be fine for EVO's as well. They recommend BG Syncroshift in the trannies, and Redline Heavy Weight Shock Proof Gear Lube for the xfer case and rear diff. I've also heard great things about GM/Penzoil Sychromesh in DSM Trannies
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:19 AM
CJK
Evolving Member

Thanks me612, I will check those out!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:20 AM
CJK
Evolving Member

RRE's website is???
Old Jan 26, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by CJK
RRE's website is???
roadraceengineering.com

I've also heard from Mike at Diamond Star Specialties (DSS) that BG Syncroshift is hot stuff, but it is hard to tell exactly what it is.

The BG Products page doesn't have any MSDS or Product Info. Other than "all synthetic" who knows-- the Ultra Guard HD GL-5 gear oil is noted as being PAO, but the Syncro Shift isn't. And for ~10 bucks/qt shipped....

ferb!