Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo build help, looking for 650+awhp

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check out my build thread. 650whp project has been canceled but i can with bigger injectors and fuel pump. everything else is 650 capable
The following users liked this post:
Flyhigh (Mar 24, 2019)
Old May 20, 2012, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent thanks for the input guys, and I'll check out your build thread thanks!
Old May 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pssst
650 hp is really going to only be fun in straight lines, but if thats what you're going for then great! I'm sure many can vouch for this, but I would just build your motor and put a stock housing turbo... FP/MAP/CBRD and have a blast in a straight line and through turns. some of those turbos will get you 500+ hp and will spool like a bat out of hell.
X2 i have a superfast spooling MAP products car with an EF3,, 500WHP on low boost, you cannot ask for a better powerband or street car. Still enough power to make you grin silly, and reliable to a point.
Old May 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by getsideways
X2 i have a superfast spooling MAP products car with an EF3,, 500WHP on low boost, you cannot ask for a better powerband or street car. Still enough power to make you grin silly, and reliable to a point.
Well put, isn't it just fun knowing that even at low boost the way the car runs you know you can make plenty more if need be
Old May 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Contact MAP as well
Old May 20, 2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by foxbear2277
Is your goal on race gas or E85? Curious because with a 15k budget... its just not realistic...

Try more like 30k
Best and cheapest option, would have been to buy a car already modded since your budget is so low. Might need to sell your car and look for a built one.. sorry to burst your bubble

For that power I would think you would need:
big ic
ic pipes
built motor/head
killer turbo kit
injectors
fuel rail
intake manifold
and LOTS OF BOOOST LOL

Just to name a few things quickly...

Also will you be installing your own parts and building your own motor? Does your 15k budget include labour and one epic tune?

I wish you luck but your power goal is not realistic for yor budget... try more like 500 whp

(I guess in the end, you may be able to produce a high hp figure but I highly doubt it will be realiable, with that budget)
lol 30k, you can build an 800 hp evo with 15k. Riddie , best advice i can give you is dont listen to anyone on this forum, just find a shop that your comfortable with and build a plan!
Old May 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not the cost of 650 or even 800, its keeping it there lol
I would stick with the 4G63, either 2.0 or 2.3 with off of the shelf internals. Easier than a 2.4.
Leave the head alone, except valve springs.
Less than 35k? Do drop ins
Gasket kit, front case and bs elimination kit
Turbo choice depends on fuel/dyno (650awhp)
BR double pumper
Id2000 or fic2150 injectors
Exedy triple, twin hd won't cut it. No, it won't.
or QM 8 leg
Fmic, ets 4 inch
Ets uicp
Bov
Cams, gsc s2, kelford or buschur 272
Ported intake and tb
3" dp and exhaust
Wideband O2
4 bar map sensor
Plus labor
Boy, I dunno.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly, I think $15K is an extremely reasonable budget if you take your time and get exactly what you need! The issue with the EvoM community is that people think one needs the BIGGEST of everything ie. 2150cc injectors, Tilton Clutches, etc, and that's completely wrong. It's all about how you drive the car and what you want it to do! 650whp isn't that far away, and if you don't plan on beating the **** out of the car, a few parts can go a long way. This is exactly what I did, minus the T3 Kit (coming soon).

Motor:
-MAP Stage 2 2.4L LR w/Front Case and Oil Pump, Head Gasket, Full Head Rebuild, and H11 Studs - $4000
-60K Maintenance Kit - $450
-4g64 Core - $450

Turbo Kit:
-T3 3586 Kit (Used off the forums) - $2500

IC Stuff:
-ETS, Nisei, etc FMIC (Used off the forums) - $500
-ETS Nisei, etc UICP (Used) - $200

Drivetrain:
-TRE T-Case Rebuild w/Shot Peening of Diff - $600 w/shipping
-Stock Trans will survive if you don't beat the **** out of it.

Clutch:
-Comp HD Stage 4 (supports 575wtq) - $400
-ACT Flywheel - $270

Fuel System:
-Walbro 400lph w/rewire - $175
-AFPR - $200
-FIC 1450cc Injectors (used) - $350

Bolt-Ons:
-Ported IM - $175
-Full Blown 70mm TB - $300
-SpoolinUp COP - $300
-GSC Cams/Springs/Retainers - $800
-Tial Q BOV - $250
-Stainless Turbo-Back 3" Exhaust (Used) - $500
-SD Intake Setup - $100

Electronics:
-AEM Wideband/Boost/Oil Pressure - $600
-Omni 4 Bar (used) - $90
-Tatrix Cable w/EvoScan - $100

Misc:
-Cam Seals, T-Stat housing, Oil Pickup Tube, IM, EM, and all other gaskets - $200 (to be safe)
-RTV, LocTite, Torque Wrench - $100
-200 pc. Craftsman Starter Set - $150
-Harbor Freight Engine Stand/Hoist - $260
-Mitsu Service Manual - Free

Tune:
-$400 from Aaron @English

Total: $14,820.

Now, factor in what you get for your stock stuff.

-Stock Shortblock - $900
-Stock Turbo Setup, TB, IC and Pipes, Injectors, Coils, Clutch, etc - about $1500 if you get rid of everything.

Thus, your grand total is $12,420.

This includes all resources needed to do the job yourself, accommodating for every little thing that most don't consider into the price of their build. I just did it successfully for less than this, and so can you.

Good luck!
Old May 21, 2012, 12:00 AM

If you are in New York, make the drive over to STM. Contact Emery on here. EmeryatSTM is his username. He will steer you in the path of your goals.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:47 AM

That's exactly what I planned to do, sell all the stock stuff that is not needed or used to make my budget go up more even if its only $1,000 or so... I was looking at the BR 2.0LR and head they offer would be $4,000 which seems the going rate.. just got to find good deals on the other stuff and this build could be done! I was getting a little discouraged but you guys proved it can be done which is excellent feel much better now.. as for STM i asked for a est price on a 650whp build and got a grand total of "probably 30k" little to steep for me right now.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoPauly
lol 30k, you can build an 800 hp evo with 15k. Riddie , best advice i can give you is dont listen to anyone on this forum, just find a shop that your comfortable with and build a plan!
On race gas, E85 or pump? I am dying to hear what the op thinks he can have that figure on. I was hoping for 650 too but its just not realistic on pump... I think my build is full of stout products... Money adds up quick... Is the 650 awhp only for a 1 year life span??

my motor alone has cost about 10k
clutch 3k
injecotrs 1k
misk fuel 1k
im 1k
turbo kit with ti exhasut 5k

like damn thats 21k and i havent even started yet lol
I guess like mentioned before anyone can achieve a high hp goal if you push your build to or beyond the safe limits with 15k...

im for more results on what fuel and if the op reaches his goal with 15k budget

I agree that that the best plan of attack is to call a shop tell them your hp goal and budget, they will either make you happy or shoot you down. Good luck
Old May 21, 2012, 07:53 AM

I was shooting for E85 but could go pump... Now I see where you are optimistic about it.. I was too. I looked thru peoples build threads and the ones and priced out their whole build... they were all below 15k by at least 3-4 grand, but from the pricing I got and looking at yours.. you over paid for your motor I had complete motor with all parts that are my goals capable and It was around $3,5k less then your 10k... you may have top of the line parts or something for future goal but I'm just building for my needs for this goal.. Thanks for your input and shooting my **** down... I may be new and I'm doing a lot of research but if your goal too was 650hp you got ripped

Last edited by Riddle; May 21, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by foxbear2277
On race gas, E85 or pump? I am dying to hear what the op thinks he can have that figure on. I was hoping for 650 too but its just not realistic on pump... I think my build is full of stout products... Money adds up quick... Is the 650 awhp only for a 1 year life span??

my motor alone has cost about 10k
clutch 3k
injecotrs 1k
misk fuel 1k
im 1k
turbo kit with ti exhasut 5k

like damn thats 21k and i havent even started yet lol
I guess like mentioned before anyone can achieve a high hp goal if you push your build to or beyond the safe limits with 15k...

im for more results on what fuel and if the op reaches his goal with 15k budget

I agree that that the best plan of attack is to call a shop tell them your hp goal and budget, they will either make you happy or shoot you down. Good luck
How the hell is your motor 10K?

I got a 2.4L LR with Howard Billet Steel I-Beam Rods and Custom Wiseco HD Pistons for $3250, including a brand new front case and oil pump. The motor has supported 1000whp consistently.

Why is a Ti exhaust necessary? It's not.

How the hell do you spend $1K on injectors? FIC 1850cc which will support 1000whp cost only $470.

We all know you can get a used T3 kit from AMS, Buschur, Etc for well under $3K. Why literally waste the extra $2K just to say it's new?

Why spend $1K on an Intake Manifold? Curt Browns Extreme Ported Stock IM made more power than every other IM on the market, and only costs $375.

My point is that you're throwing money away in obvious places. If you're racing every weekend at 800whp then the $15K budget will not suffice, however, if you're even somewhat froogle and drive your car with some respect, you can save a LOT of money.

That's why I use places like MAP and English, as they're a bit more reasonable about what you ACTUALLY need to make your car do what you want it to do, where as Buschur will tell you your car's worthless unless you spend a million dollars through them.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evotuner04
Contact MAP as well
Thanks for the referral Riddle, we'd love to help you out where we can sir!
Old May 21, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
How the hell is your motor 10K?

I got a 2.4L LR with Howard Billet Steel I-Beam Rods and Custom Wiseco HD Pistons for $3250, including a brand new front case and oil pump. The motor has supported 1000whp consistently.

Why is a Ti exhaust necessary? It's not.

How the hell do you spend $1K on injectors? FIC 1850cc which will support 1000whp cost only $470.

We all know you can get a used T3 kit from AMS, Buschur, Etc for well under $3K. Why literally waste the extra $2K just to say it's new?

Why spend $1K on an Intake Manifold? Curt Browns Extreme Ported Stock IM made more power than every other IM on the market, and only costs $375.

My point is that you're throwing money away in obvious places. If you're racing every weekend at 800whp then the $15K budget will not suffice, however, if you're even somewhat froogle and drive your car with some respect, you can save a LOT of money.

That's why I use places like MAP and English, as they're a bit more reasonable about what you ACTUALLY need to make your car do what you want it to do, where as Buschur will tell you your car's worthless unless you spend a million dollars through them.
The motor is a 2.3rpm with built head lightweight crank and cams. It adds up quick. I agree yet again that you can do always do it cheaper and i have certainly gone about the expensive route that i choose. I never said a 1k mani was neccesary i was just dhoeing a quick tally on how parts add up quick id 2000 are not cheap and the choice i went for. I never once said tgese are the parts you must have to reach your goal... Nor would i ever say a ti exhaust is needed for 1k... Dont loose your mind with what im saying. My point that it is hard to get that whp number with that budget. I guess im wrong... Immo

i agree that i could have saved a **** ton of money but thats not the build im going for. To each their own. I hope i can be proven wrong and 650 awhp can be achieved on 15 k worth of parts... Which since its a dd and ww then its most likely pump or e85 which makes that number even harder to achieve especially on pump.

Quick Reply: Evo build help, looking for 650+awhp