Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo build help, looking for 650+awhp

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Honestly, I think $15K is an extremely reasonable budget if you take your time and get exactly what you need! The issue with the EvoM community is that people think one needs the BIGGEST of everything ie. 2150cc injectors, Tilton Clutches, etc, and that's completely wrong. It's all about how you drive the car and what you want it to do! 650whp isn't that far away, and if you don't plan on beating the **** out of the car, a few parts can go a long way. This is exactly what I did, minus the T3 Kit (coming soon).

Motor:
-MAP Stage 2 2.4L LR w/Front Case and Oil Pump, Head Gasket, Full Head Rebuild, and H11 Studs - $4000
-60K Maintenance Kit - $450
-4g64 Core - $450

Turbo Kit:
-T3 3586 Kit (Used off the forums) - $2500

IC Stuff:
-ETS, Nisei, etc FMIC (Used off the forums) - $500
-ETS Nisei, etc UICP (Used) - $200

Drivetrain:
-TRE T-Case Rebuild w/Shot Peening of Diff - $600 w/shipping
-Stock Trans will survive if you don't beat the **** out of it.

Clutch:
-Comp HD Stage 4 (supports 575wtq) - $400
-ACT Flywheel - $270

Fuel System:
-Walbro 400lph w/rewire - $175
-AFPR - $200
-FIC 1450cc Injectors (used) - $350

Bolt-Ons:
-Ported IM - $175
-Full Blown 70mm TB - $300
-SpoolinUp COP - $300
-GSC Cams/Springs/Retainers - $800
-Tial Q BOV - $250
-Stainless Turbo-Back 3" Exhaust (Used) - $500
-SD Intake Setup - $100

Electronics:
-AEM Wideband/Boost/Oil Pressure - $600
-Omni 4 Bar (used) - $90
-Tatrix Cable w/EvoScan - $100

Misc:
-Cam Seals, T-Stat housing, Oil Pickup Tube, IM, EM, and all other gaskets - $200 (to be safe)
-RTV, LocTite, Torque Wrench - $100
-200 pc. Craftsman Starter Set - $150
-Harbor Freight Engine Stand/Hoist - $260
-Mitsu Service Manual - Free

Tune:
-$400 from Aaron @English

Total: $14,820.

Now, factor in what you get for your stock stuff.

-Stock Shortblock - $900
-Stock Turbo Setup, TB, IC and Pipes, Injectors, Coils, Clutch, etc - about $1500 if you get rid of everything.

Thus, your grand total is $12,420.

This includes all resources needed to do the job yourself, accommodating for every little thing that most don't consider into the price of their build. I just did it successfully for less than this, and so can you.

Good luck!
in the real world, that wont work for many of us. injectors for example. i need something that will work on pump gas too, those 1,850's are useless to me.

the walbro 400 wont flow enough, or will be at its limit.

nothing listed for crankcase ventilation and many other overlooked items like cam gears with a 2.4L.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
in the real world, that wont work for many of us. injectors for example. i need something that will work on pump gas too, those 1,850's are useless to me.

the walbro 400 wont flow enough, or will be at its limit.

nothing listed for crankcase ventilation and many other overlooked items like cam gears with a 2.4L.
My crankcase ventilation cost me a little over $150. I had cam gears on my car already, so I forgot to factor them in; add $100 for used Fidanza gears. I recommended the 1850s as he said E85 earlier.

I understand for some $15K won't cut it, but I just laid out exactly what I paid for my entire build. These were all real life numbers. I have an Excel sheet with exactly what I sold and bought that looks exactly what I posted above.

Also, the Walbro will flow more than enough with proper fuel lines. Add in another $200 to make -6AN lines. On stock lines Emery made 586whp on a Mustang Dyno.

Another $450 at best? I even factored in tools, engine stand, hoist, gaskets, and rtv/loctite already.

(No, I haven't made 650whp yet, but I've only spent like $6K, as everything I sold paid for the majority of what I bought. Thus, I have about $9K to spend on a turbo kit, going by the $15K budget, and the 650whp will be made on 93).

Last edited by Blue91lx; May 21, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand for some $15K won't cut it, but I just laid out exactly what I paid for my entire build. These were all real life numbers. I have an Excel sheet with exactly what I sold and bought that looks exactly what I posted above.

Also, the Walbro will flow more than enough with proper fuel lines. Add in another $200 to make -6AN lines. On stock lines Emery made 586whp on a Mustang Dyno.

(No, I haven't made 650whp yet, but I've only spent like $6K, as everything I sold paid for the majority of what I bought. Thus, I have about $9K to spend on a turbo kit, going by the $15K budget, and the 650whp will be made on 93).
I get you wisely know how to save money on a build but have you looked into how many cars actually run 650whp on pump? Its no easy task... not many make it to that hp.. What turbo do you plan to run? Gonna have to be a big turbo. I wish you luck on your ventrue to 650 on pump...
Old May 21, 2012, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Riddle
I was shooting for E85 but could go pump... Now I see where you are optimistic about it.. I was too. I looked thru peoples build threads and the ones and priced out their whole build... they were all below 15k by at least 3-4 grand, but from the pricing I got and looking at yours.. you over paid for your motor I had complete motor with all parts that are my goals capable and It was around $3,5k less then your 10k... you may have top of the line parts or something for future goal but I'm just building for my needs for this goal.. Thanks for your input and shooting my **** down... I may be new and I'm doing a lot of research but if your goal too was 650hp you got ripped
Honestly I dont know much about E85 other than it seems to make great power due to it resisting knock/detonation much better. On pump gas It might be a hard task. Alot of the build threads dont add up parts and misc items that quickly add up to throusands of dollars. I went alittle crazy with my build... But I was alittle wrong on my motor, added it all up and it comes to 10669$ (btw its a crate engine, didnt want to tear into my stock engine if I didnt have to) 8669 if I would have used my own core. I think my motor is a good price, I mean everything is done...everything lol
I wanted to make sure the engine was alot more capable than what im going to throw at it as a saftey insurance Np and by no means do I want to or did I mean to discourage you... ie shooting you down. Btw I didnt get ripped because I called all the shots for my build as I am doing everything but the motor, trans and tc myself. The motor will arrive as a fully built crate engine, the tc and trans will arrive fully built and I will install everything myself. My goal was 650 whp but realistically 550-600whp is more realistic for a realiable dd and weekend warrior Either way it will be a beast that I will enjoy a ton, as I am sure you will enjoy your built car too Good luck buddy and I trully hope we both hit our goals
Old May 21, 2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Thanks for the referral Riddle, we'd love to help you out where we can sir!
Thank you! I will defiantly be contacting you guys for the build and advice come time for the build, I see a lot of people use you guys and only heard the best!
Old May 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
If you need any help regarding turbo kits, intercoolers, piping, etc. Let me know! You should be able to hit your goal with your budget.

Thanks,

Michael
Old May 21, 2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
If you need any help regarding turbo kits, intercoolers, piping, etc. Let me know! You should be able to hit your goal with your budget.

Thanks,

Michael
Excellent I will keep you guys in mind!
Old May 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

i'm with blue91lx... i see a lot of people go buck wild building with unecessacary parts in a build that doesn't need it. no need to drop that extra $500 bucks on the tt rods vs a simple h beam either. h beams will live at 600-650 all day and are much lighter and easier on bearings. no need to drop another $500 on 2150's when 1450's will support 700+ with a double pumper. no need to drop $1000 on an intake when a stock ported can make 700+ unless you're shooting for a record or something. and there is nothing wrong with buying ANY used part as long as they come from a good seller. i have 1000 dollars into an hta3582 kit and it hasn't skipped a beat. you can pick up double pumpers for around $200 if you shop around. you can sometimes find BNIB parts for 50 percent less than what you'd otherwise pay for them. and some people need to realize that certain parts are PERFECTLY fine used as there is hardley no risk of them being damaged. no need to spend $100 on a new boost controller vs $20. just little things like that make a huge difference in the total end price.
Old May 22, 2012, 03:54 AM

See that's what I like to hear! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...e_thumbsup.gif
Old May 22, 2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I think he can get it done for 15k if he does it himself. Depending on his mechanical skills and if he can build the motor or swap the motor I am sure it can be done. I mean we can do a breakdown

4k in motor pending on what he goes with
2k in turbo and supporting stuff that goes with it pending on what he goes with
1500 clutch
750 to 1000 fmic
500 to 700 injectors pending on what size
250 to 450 for tb
600 or so for intake mani and exhaust mani ported pending on where he gets them from
650 cop setup
tscomptuned prices will very pending on what he wants to do

total
====
11150 taking the most expensive prices and he still has money left over to take his loved one out for letting him spend so much money on his car
what about ecu? aem alone costs 2k
Old May 22, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Stock?
Old May 23, 2012, 06:21 AM

That's what I was thinking heard they can do a lot with the stock ECU
Old May 24, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Riddle
That's what I was thinking heard they can do a lot with the stock ECU
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...k-ecu-evo.html

With stock ecu its definently possible, needs a hell of a good tune but very possible

Last edited by foxbear2277; May 24, 2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added
Old May 24, 2012, 02:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by robotech
what about ecu? aem alone costs 2k
Nothing wrong with the stock ecu is there? Look at my #s thats on a stock block stock head, stock ecu, stock tranny, stock t case etc. Sure an AEM would be nice but there is nothing wrong with using the oem parts.

Stock?
Originally Posted by foxbear2277
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-dyno-tuning-results/611351-brs-highest-hp-stock-ecu-evo.html

With stock ecu its definently possible, needs a hell of a good tune but very possible

Exactly

Last edited by CurseDSM; May 24, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.Originally Posted by ChrisCarey Thanks for the referral Riddle, we'd love to help you out where we can sir
+1 MAP hands down the best and cheapest place to get parts and customer service is beyond excelent!

Quick Reply: Evo build help, looking for 650+awhp