Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA 71, Here I Come!

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Its 2 lbs / min less than a green. I love mine just installed s2 cams and skunk 2 manifold. Check it on the power section
I've actually been reading up on your post. Although I can't get your initial images working for me, it's been very helpful, and I'm thankful for the info you've shared. Your post was one of the ones that inspired me to go this route. Thanks man.

Originally Posted by boostzealot
Nah its another local guy that has an impressive evo himself. See, I really like what the 9 turbo is capable of as far as spool and flow up top. I made 337/333 during my last tuning session at ziptie on like 24psi and that was with my stocker. The only mods done to my car are the fmic, greddy tic turbo back, and the intercooler piping i made for speed density. Now my car has the dnp tubular manifold, the megan o2 housing, megan 3in downpipe, and the 25g with ported evo 9 hotside and at only 17psi it felt like my stock turbo did on 24+psi. Im sure you saw the video in the 25g thread where I wasnt even full tilt on it. Once my motor is done at the machine shop I will begin the assembly of my 2.3 and then get her tuned once broken in. That way I will have extremely conclusive data on whether the 25g really can hold up to more expensive alternatives like the HTA71. As of right now, its going to be a very fun writeup. (oh btw, the video of my pulls in the 25g thread are with the motor in its hurt condition of compression sitting at 110,90,110,90. Imagine when I have 160-170's across the board!)
Yeah, I saw the videos. I think you've got a great build/project on your hands. With a built motor, it's kind of hard to do a direct comparison. I don't think that in any way takes away from what you're trying to do though. I'm looking forward to your results. I'm a huge fan of the stock turbo also. My goals are really to keep it as close to the stocker as possible but breathe more on the top end *safely*. If I had to guess, I'd say your turbo is going to be a bit more laggy, but yours won't have to work anywhere near as hard to put down the same numbers, and it will breathe a fair deal better up top (if you've not maxed out what your turbine is capable of). Either way, we gotta keep swappin' stories and info on this!

Last edited by boozeup&riot; May 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, Im sure you'll make 450 on the HTA71....or were you talking to me about the 25g?
Was wondering about me and this set up... Why i am curious about your numbers...
Old May 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by korizmo
I definitely will. Didn't know that about the price. Makes me feel better...
Yeah man, the cost of this upgrade is $650.00, plus a $100.00 core charge. If you buy the FAPC at the same time as the rest of the upgrade, they knock $50.00 off the cost of the cover, making it $150.00. Since you are sending yours to them, they wont charge that core. you're looking at $800.00 if my reasoning hasn't failed me. Call them to confirm! Thats a pretty significant savings on an upgrade thats already pretty reasonable, IMO.

Originally Posted by maevo8
man that hta71 is very promissing i almost did it had it all ready to ship but then got a really good deal on ef3 and had to pull the trigger on it,, good luck with your numbers
Thank you, sir! I was previously eyeballing the EF series turbos too. Good luck with your project.

Here's the one I did on that evo I built compared to his evo 8 turbo.
Thanks for sharing this. It's great to see just how much bigger that compressor side is. Granted, the 9's compressor housing is already bigger, but its still a pretty interesting comparison.

Originally Posted by asubennett
I made as much as 490 / 460 on this turbo. E85 at 32psi. FIC1450 and a rewired DW300 with Cossie M3 Cams. About two weeks later I snapped two rods in half on a spirited 3rd gear pull. This was with only 4 degrees timing at peak load and 13 degrees timing total. AFR's @ 11.3:1. This turbo is no joke and and is not anything close to just a little more than a 9 turbo. Be careful with your tune. :-)
Thanks man! I saw your post on dubstars 71hta, and was sad to see some of the trouble you went through. I appreciate the advice.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by asubennett
I made as much as 490 / 460 on this turbo. E85 at 32psi. FIC1450 and a rewired DW300 with Cossie M3 Cams. About two weeks later I snapped two rods in half on a spirited 3rd gear pull. This was with only 4 degrees timing at peak load and 13 degrees timing total. AFR's @ 11.3:1. This turbo is no joke and and is not anything close to just a little more than a 9 turbo. Be careful with your tune. :-)
FYI, 4* of timing at peak load on e85 is not at all conservative on a IX. But I guess you already figured that out.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Idk i run 2 on 93 at peak load. I would have assumed e85 can take 4-5 before it was dangerous. But i have zero E experience too. What do average ix's like for peak tq on e85?
Old May 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Idk i run 2 on 93 at peak load. I would have assumed e85 can take 4-5 before it was dangerous. But i have zero E experience too. What do average ix's like for peak tq on e85?
in my experience, 2* at peak load for a stock like turbo is about the limit on e85. I bent a set of rods myself running 4* at peak load.
Old May 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
My bad, i thought i ran 2 but heres a log showing 1. I cant remember if i ever got it to take 2 for sure. I thought i did but...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...hmentid=179868

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; May 24, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine shipped out yesterday from FP. Total cost was 1038.00 and that included fixing 2 HS bolt holes.

Very quick 1 day turn around for this turbo. Got there Thursday and shipped Friday

Turbo upgrade - 650.00
18psi wastegate - 99.00
84 compressor cover - 150.00
Fixed two hs bolt threads - 110.00

Last edited by korizmo; May 26, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Mine shipped out yesterday from FP. Total cost was 1038.00 and that included fixing 2 HS bolt holes.

Very quick 1 day turn around for this turbo. Got there Thursday and shipped Friday

Turbo upgrade - 650.00
18psi wastegate - 99.00
84 compressor cover - 150.00
Fixed two hs bolt threads - 110.00
Awesome man! Mine shipped yesterday. I have a ported hotside that I'll be using instead of the hotside already on the car. It's presently at the ceramic coaters. I ordered the turbine housing clamp some could just put the new coated hotside on as a complete turbo and pull the old one off. Not sure what I will do with it yet... I picked up the flow advancement port cover, as well as the 18psi wga, and I also picked up their intake tube to step it down to fit the stock MAF. Injectors, pump, and amsoil have arrived. getting close!
Old May 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Ok i need some help. I got my 71 hta with the 84mm housing. Im currently running ets MAF recirculated intake on the stock 8 turbo. I just realized i will probably have to upgrade my intake? The coupler will not fit on the intake side of the turbo due to the larger opening on the compressor side. any recommendations?

I see fp sells an intake on their website for people in my situation, but damn 138.00, after i just payed them. Sigh
Old May 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not trying to go OT but how does the 68HTA conversion compare to the 71 ? Would it be a good idea if wanting good road power without "maxing" you con rods ?

Just a thought , cheers A .
Old May 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Ok i need some help. I got my 71 hta with the 84mm housing. Im currently running ets MAF recirculated intake on the stock 8 turbo. I just realized i will probably have to upgrade my intake? The coupler will not fit on the intake side of the turbo due to the larger opening on the compressor side. any recommendations?

I see fp sells an intake on their website for people in my situation, but damn 138.00, after i just payed them. Sigh
I picked up FP's intake pipe made for the flow advancement port cover and stock MAF. Extremepsi.com is selling for 20.00 cheaper, but you'll need either that intake tube or one matching the same specs, or a step down coupler. The coupler would be cheapest. The intake tube would probably be ideal.

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/prod...roductid=23300

Last edited by boozeup&riot; May 29, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by discopotato03
I'm not trying to go OT but how does the 68HTA conversion compare to the 71 ? Would it be a good idea if wanting good road power without "maxing" you con rods ?

Just a thought , cheers A .
*edit* in reading your commentary on the other 71HTA thread, you seem to know much more about this than I do. Apologies if this is all wrong, heh -

Take this info with a grain of salt. I don't believe the 68hta conversion is available for the evo 8/9 anymore. They used to offer the fp white, which I believe was the same thing, but it doesn't appear to be an option any more. My thinking is that this upgrade has replaced the fp white. Again, I'm not 100% sure about that. You may want to do some searching regarding the fp white.

As far as not destroying the engine, I think with a proper tune the 71HTA should still be plenty safe. It would likely spool a little slower than the 68HTA, but it should also be able to push more air. My understanding is that this 71hta upgrade sits right in between the white and the green.

The process for the upgrade is different too. Rather than sending my turbo off to FP, I ordered the "upgrade" from them and they are sending the CHRA with compressor housing. I already have a ported and coated hotside, so I'll have a complete turbo to install. This allows me to pull the old stock 9 turbo and sell it if I want to recoup some of the costs of the upgrade. Depending on what I can get for the stock 9 turbo, this could make this a $550.00 upgrade for a 51 lb/min turbo with nearly stock spool. Even cheaper if I didn't go with the flow advancement port cover.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; May 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received the ported hotside back from the ceramic coaters yesterday. A local company out here that I've used in the past, Ruktech. Updated the first post with photos. It's lookin' pretty damn gorgeous, IMO. I purchased the item used and was told it was Swaincoated. Whatever the coating, it was flaking off in a bad way. Ruktech etched the piece, leaving on as much as they could while still blasting it to get all the loose stuff off. The end result is basically a dual coated piece that I hope will last a very long time.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; May 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

It's so beautiful. I just want to mount it on the wall.

Quick Reply: HTA 71, Here I Come!