Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA 71, Here I Come!

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HTA 71, Here I Come!

So after much thought, I've decided to pull the trigger on the 71HTA with the Flow Advancement Port Cover. The cartridge and cover have been ordered and will likely be a week or so until they ship it to me. I'll be doing a baseline dyno pull, as well as a final to compare the two.

I have a few reasons for picking the 71HTA over the FP Green:

1) I already have a ported hotside that hasn't been installed yet. Once I get the cartridge and cover, I should have a whole turbo to install. My thinking is that I can just remove the old stock turbo and sell that and recoup some of my costs for this upgrade.

2) I really don't want to sacrifice much, if anything at all in the spool characteristics of the stock turbo. My impression of the 71HTA is that it will spool very much like stock, but flow a good 20%~ more. My goal is a very safe, streetable setup.

A new fuel pump and injectors will be installed along with the new turbo.

I'll be bumping this thread with pictures of the parts as they come in, as well as the dyno graphs once its all said and done.

UPDATE:
Same dyno, same tuner:
The car made 301whp 324wtq@25psi tapering to 20 on the stock turbo. After the 71HTA was installed it made 339whp 324tq@25psi tapering to 22. All pulls done on 91 octane.

Present mods:
Ported, ceramic coated exhaust manifold. Swaintech coated Titek o2 housing. Ceramic coated Cobb 3-inch DP, Ceramic coated Cobb 3-inch TP. Invidia CBE. Grimmspeed 3-port ebcs. Cobb SRI. ETS 3.5 inch FMIC. Nesei LICP.

Tuning will be done at a local shop out, Ziptie Dynowerks. They are nearly as excited as I am to get this up and running. Props to them for working with me through all of this, and being patient.
**This will be on 91 octane at 4,400 ft here in Salt Lake City, Utah.**

Parts to go in: RCI 1000CC injectors, walbro 255lph fuel pump, ported & ceramic coated hotside, 71HTA.
Attached Thumbnails HTA 71, Here I Come!-injectors.jpg   HTA 71, Here I Come!-hotside.jpg   HTA 71, Here I Come!-hotside2.jpg   HTA 71, Here I Come!-71hta3.jpg  

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Jun 11, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bro, come up to the layton area and ride in an evo i built last year with one i installed on it. Then tell me what you think.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostzealot
Bro, come up to the layton area and ride in an evo i built last year with one i installed on it. Then tell me what you think.
I may just have to! Can you tell me what YOU think of it? I've been following your kinugawa thread and I'm pretty impressed. Also, sorry to hear about your troubles.

My hope is that with the ported hotside and FAPC, it'll be close to an fp green anyway (without the FAPC). Plus, once I sell the stock turbo the cost of upgrading to this 71HTA will be much much lower than a straight upgrade to the green. *shrugs*
Old May 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

To tell you the truth, the car im talking about cheats in a way because its a 2.3 stroker and makes great low end. The car is a beast on only 20psi and felt like it went into warp mode when it hit 25. I spoke with the tuner who's tuning it but he says it spools a little bit slower than stock but does feel very strong. The tune is not finished yet so there will be more to come from that and I will keep you updated on it if you like.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

I just sent my 9 turbo in last night via fedex. I'm goin 71hta also with port and 84mm comp cover. All for 950.00. Can't beat that

Be prepared for my results thread at the end of June.

Last edited by korizmo; May 23, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostzealot
To tell you the truth, the car im talking about cheats in a way because its a 2.3 stroker and makes great low end. The car is a beast on only 20psi and felt like it went into warp mode when it hit 25. I spoke with the tuner who's tuning it but he says it spools a little bit slower than stock but does feel very strong. The tune is not finished yet so there will be more to come from that and I will keep you updated on it if you like.
Are we talking about Alex over at Ziptie? If so, thats where I plan to have all of this done - the baselines and post installation dyno. My car previously put down 301/285 on their dyno with just the intake and exhaust (no fmic at the time). I'm in the process of working with George to leave it with them for a few days so they can document the whole process they want to go through as a service for new customers who want to get a tune and work done. I'll have more details as we get closer.

I'd really love to go 2.3, but I just don't have the $$$. I also saw the thread you put together on the other evo you built. Great stuff, man.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by korizmo
I just sent my 9 turbo in last night via fedex. I'm goin 71hta also with port and 84mm comp cover. All for 950.00. Can't beat that
Well, since you sent them your turbo, my understanding is that it would actually be 800.00 total, as they'll keep your cartridge and install their own (you won't pay the core cartridge charge). Either way, good luck sir! Please feel free to post up your results and impressions on this thread. The info for that turbo seems to be a little scattered about, and somewhat scarce.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Its 2 lbs / min less than a green. I love mine just installed s2 cams and skunk 2 manifold. Check it on the power section
Old May 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
Well, since you sent them your turbo, my understanding is that it would actually be 800.00 total, as they'll keep your cartridge and install their own (you won't pay the core cartridge charge). Either way, good luck sir! Please feel free to post up your results and impressions on this thread. The info for that turbo seems to be a little scattered about, and somewhat scarce.

I definitely will. Didn't know that about the price. Makes me feel better...
Old May 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Here's the one I did on that evo I built compared to his evo 8 turbo.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

I made as much as 490 / 460 on this turbo. E85 at 32psi. FIC1450 and a rewired DW300 with Cossie M3 Cams. About two weeks later I snapped two rods in half on a spirited 3rd gear pull. This was with only 4 degrees timing at peak load and 13 degrees timing total. AFR's @ 11.3:1. This turbo is no joke and and is not anything close to just a little more than a 9 turbo. Be careful with your tune. :-)
Old May 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
Are we talking about Alex over at Ziptie? If so, thats where I plan to have all of this done - the baselines and post installation dyno. My car previously put down 301/285 on their dyno with just the intake and exhaust (no fmic at the time). I'm in the process of working with George to leave it with them for a few days so they can document the whole process they want to go through as a service for new customers who want to get a tune and work done. I'll have more details as we get closer.

I'd really love to go 2.3, but I just don't have the $$$. I also saw the thread you put together on the other evo you built. Great stuff, man.
Nah its another local guy that has an impressive evo himself. See, I really like what the 9 turbo is capable of as far as spool and flow up top. I made 337/333 during my last tuning session at ziptie on like 24psi and that was with my stocker. The only mods done to my car are the fmic, greddy tic turbo back, and the intercooler piping i made for speed density. Now my car has the dnp tubular manifold, the megan o2 housing, megan 3in downpipe, and the 25g with ported evo 9 hotside and at only 17psi it felt like my stock turbo did on 24+psi. Im sure you saw the video in the 25g thread where I wasnt even full tilt on it. Once my motor is done at the machine shop I will begin the assembly of my 2.3 and then get her tuned once broken in. That way I will have extremely conclusive data on whether the 25g really can hold up to more expensive alternatives like the HTA71. As of right now, its going to be a very fun writeup. (oh btw, the video of my pulls in the 25g thread are with the motor in its hurt condition of compression sitting at 110,90,110,90. Imagine when I have 160-170's across the board!)
Old May 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am very curious to see what numbers you make. I am almost at 400 (will be there after june 2nd) on the stocker 9 snail on pump gas. I like the option of this turbo for the same reason but not sure I can get to 450+ on it.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Dude, Im sure you'll make 450 on the HTA71....or were you talking to me about the 25g?
Old May 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

man that hta71 is very promissing i almost did it had it all ready to ship but then got a really good deal on ef3 and had to pull the trigger on it,, good luck with your numbers

Quick Reply: HTA 71, Here I Come!