Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

6 speed Transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 speed Transmission rebuild

Alright so i recently blew my transmission on my MR. apparently there was no gear oil in the transmission when the shop I took it to dropped it. Im still a n00b so dont knock me too hard on my question.. lol but is my tranny still rebuildable or no? the only problem i came across before it blew was the synchro's not holding it in gear (thats what i was told, correct me if im wrong).
Old May 25, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to be more descriptive? "I blew up my trans" doesn't help. Broken shafts, gears, forks, bearings.......?
Pics would help too.
Most likely it is junk though.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
case is aluminum and they dropped it? I wouldn't put that back in my car if I were you, even if it's rebuilt the case could be cracked.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akeric
case is aluminum and they dropped it? I wouldn't put that back in my car if I were you, even if it's rebuilt the case could be cracked.
I think by dropped it he meant took it off his car... Not literally dropped in the ground...

OP, as someone else said you need to give more specifics... What did the shop tell you was wrong with it other then no oil was in it?
Old May 26, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Its rebuildable. All the parts are available through mitsubishi.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by wizechef
I think by dropped it he meant took it off his car... Not literally dropped in the ground...

OP, as someone else said you need to give more specifics... What did the shop tell you was wrong with it other then no oil was in it?
lmao!! yeah dropped meaning they removed it from my car.. but the shop told me it was hard to tell exactly what the problem is w/o actually opening the case (which was an additional cost).
when i first took it to the shop the owner drove my car said it engages fine no grinding, gears arent sticky/hard to manuveur. then they put it on the rack went to drain the fluid and it was empty... transfercase too but just the gear oil. diff fluid still in there.
the initial problem, i was taking a u-turn and a loud noise occured, kind of sounded like built up pressure was relieved. anyways i couldnt engage into any of the 7 gears including reverse. finally i shoved it in gear & drove the car for about 2 feet all i heard was harsh grinding so i stopped and called a tow truck
Old May 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

you should take advantage of the situation and rebuild it with parts that are designed for racing

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...oducts_id=1019
Old May 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blazin is right. You should take advantage of the transmission being out of commission (happens to most of us), and get it rebuilt with all the necessary components to ensure longevity/ fix TSB's, especially for higher HP applications. I would definitely get it rebuilt by one of the reputable transmission shops; Jackstransmissions, Shepard trans, Buschar or TRE.. And be careful about taking your tranny to the average joes tranny shop. Evo trannys are expensive and sensitive, it would be wise to pay the price and get it done right the first time.

As for the problem you are experiencing while making a "u-turn" (i.e. pressure relief/pop) I feel the culprit would be the front differential, possible cracked or broken spider gears. Again, its hard to diagnose a problem through such a broad description of the problem.
Old May 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 286 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazinVIII
you should take advantage of the situation and rebuild it with parts that are designed for racing

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...oducts_id=1019
yeah, but that will not help him as he has a 6 speed..
Old May 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
yeah, but that will not help him as he has a 6 speed..
"Buschur Racing is proud to release there Bushwacker Transmission upgrade for the Evolution 8 and 9"
Old May 28, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

My MR tranny blew on buschur's dyno during my fp black build. I just bought a new 5 speed and have them bushwack it!!!!! Do a five speed
Old May 28, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Only Shep deals with the 6spds.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mayberry
Only Shep deals with the 6spds.
i don't know how many times i have to quote this.... but i'll do it again.

"Buschur Racing is proud to release there Bushwacker Transmission upgrade for the Evolution 8 and 9"

Last edited by BlazinVIII; May 28, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:45 AM

It all depends what mods and power you have. I had a six speed and I blew 4th gear on highway, so I called a tow truck right away. I then replace to a 5-speed from shep because i have almost 700whp and the six speed tranny's can withstand about 500whp max. I might sell the six speed or do this build on it, Will make a stock Evo go close or more 200mph at 8,000rpm
Old May 29, 2012, 09:46 AM

Forgot to post the link. Here it is: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rans-6spd.html

Quick Reply: 6 speed Transmission rebuild