Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

anyone one else probs with burning oil in buschur built motor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1badgsex
http://www.jmfabrications.com/store/...-Catchcan.html

same exact one i have one i have open to air other is running from the side of the valve cover
ok, well get this fitting and put it where the pcv valve is and run it to the line you have going to the catch can. block off the hole in the intake where the hose was.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...r_fittings.htm
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
ok, well get this fitting and put it where the pcv valve is and run it to the line you have going to the catch can. block off the hole in the intake where the hose was.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...r_fittings.htm

your awesome ! thanks again for the help im gonna try it out and see what happens!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

seeing all these threads about built motors consuming oil is depressing. Much like the OP says who wants to spend 4k for a motor that burns oil? Is this an evo specific problem? I dont hear about this much with other cars....
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Frew
seeing all these threads about built motors consuming oil is depressing. Much like the OP says who wants to spend 4k for a motor that burns oil? Is this an evo specific problem? I dont hear about this much with other cars....
if its broken in correctly and crankcase ventilation is sorted out well, i wouldnt expect to actually consume more than 1qt every 2k miles or so and half of that will be in the catch can.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

I dont burn a drop of oil. Are you sure your turbo is good?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I am wondering also if the turbo is at fault and also maybe the engine has been hurt due to issues (from what you said it sounds like it may have been running lean at one point).

Are you getting excessive blowby?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

turbo seems fine i took the intake off theres no excessive play up and down or back and forth, when i turn the car off u can still hear the turbo spinning freely for a good min so doubt its the bearings, cars never been ran lean its actually alway been on the rich side and he left it like that cause of the issues it had before and said lets leave it like that till we know the motor is solid.. and car gets no blow by and dip stick stays put never a prob with that, its weird i just took the car out its a cool night out and i jumped on it a couple of times and bearly anything came out the back.

i doubt the car has been hurt or ran lean it made 530 on pump gas and 27 psi runs strong and pulls strong,.. i could be wrong but i doubt it
Old Jun 5, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

i honestly think the guys posting earlier are on the right track i think i have a pcv prob i just looked i have the smallest mines going to my catch can and still have the stock pcv hooked up im gonna cange that up and see what i come up with
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

[quote=n2oiroc;10205680]ok, well get this fitting and put it where the pcv valve is and run it to the line you have going to the catch can. block off the hole in the intake where the hose was.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...r_fittings.htm[/quote

Just cut the 90* elbow that the PCV screw onto, you'll still have enough piping to hook your hose to. The entire thing is press fitted into the valve cover, so it'll take some jiggling and muscle to pull it out. Save $25 + shipping.

My 2.3 stage 3 BR motor goes thru 1 qt. every 1200-1500 miles. Car is broken in and tuned by BR. So yes they are built "a little loose". The consolation is that after close to 6 yrs of use it's not getting any worse.
So I just remember to check the oil every 400-500 miles.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Didn't read the whole thread but my thought is I'm pretty sure you may need to put new rings in and if possible, hone the cylinders again if you want the engine to be top notch. Then before the engine warms up completely, get the car on the road or dyno into high RPM vacuum pulls preferably going down hill letting the engine slow the car down and throwing a little boost at it for the 1st 20-30 miles, then change the oil.

Regardless, stick with a 20w-50 oil as I know Buschurs engines are built loose the way they handle anything and have heard they burn oil in the past.

Last edited by Nsomniac; Jun 8, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

[quote=600+hp;10206014]
Originally Posted by n2oiroc

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...r_fittings.htm[/quote

Just cut the 90* elbow that the PCV screw onto, you'll still have enough piping to hook your hose to. The entire thing is press fitted into the valve cover, so it'll take some jiggling and muscle to pull it out. Save $25 + shipping.

My 2.3 stage 3 BR motor goes thru 1 qt. every 1200-1500 miles. Car is broken in and tuned by BR. So yes they are built "a little loose". The consolation is that after close to 6 yrs of use it's not getting any worse.
So I just remember to check the oil every 400-500 miles.
yes im gonna do the pcv valve thing and im ok with it burning oil but i mean soon as i step on it or starts building boost its starts coming out the back, i smoke ppl out behind me and its embarrassing !

Last edited by Nsomniac; Jun 8, 2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you sure its blue and not black smoke? and your waiting for the car to fully warm up before getting on it right lol.. def change the pcv valve and spark plugs!

my motor consumes some oil, maybe a 1qt every 1500miles but im not too worried about it cause it make great power from my mods and the car hauls a$$
Old Jun 6, 2012, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
are you sure its blue and not black smoke? and your waiting for the car to fully warm up before getting on it right lol.. def change the pcv valve and spark plugs!

my motor consumes some oil, maybe a 1qt every 1500miles but im not too worried about it cause it make great power from my mods and the car hauls a$$
i actually just did the pcv valve delete and found the one hose going to the catch can was blocked! took out the pcv ran 2 lines to the catch can drove the car, runs 100 times better and no smoke from what i can see just black carbon a lil bit from jumping on it.. tomorrow morning on the way to work will be the real test always in the morning when its somewhat cold out it does it real bad.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Do you have a larger than stock breather line on the front of the valvecover (driver side)? We have found that this is the biggest cause of what you are describing. It sounds like you had stuff unrelated to an engine build as the root cause but bigger breathers never hurt anyone.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

well my BR 2.0 was burning 1qt every 200 miles.
ER found the reason and now i am getting ER2.4LR and not look back.

Quick Reply: anyone one else probs with burning oil in buschur built motor?