Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

anyone one else probs with burning oil in buschur built motor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am not blaming BR... engine ran strong for long time.
i just wanted a 2.4. I am not a fan boy, but i dont come in here bash vendors either.
wish you the best of luck
Old Jun 7, 2012, 09:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thread cleaned. Keep it clean, if you can't back up your statements with fact then don't post. If it's not on topic with the OPs post, then don't post.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 315 Likes on 247 Posts
From my experience a properly built turbo motor should not "burn" oil in the sense that it is consumed internally either through poor ring sealing or valve guides when driving under moderate conditions. With that said, losing 1/4-1/2qt in 5K miles would be acceptable to me.

There are several scenario's where improper PCV can cause oil to leave the motor. This is especially true on high boost/high hp motors. Therefore, I would recommend you verify proper crankcase ventilation before focusing on the motor as the source for oil consumption.

I am not a fan of VTA on the crankcase so using the turbo inlet to help offset block pressure is an effective method for most street applications. I would use some type of sealed/baffled catch can that will not allow oil to get sucked into the turbo, which will consume oil. Some of the turbo mustang guys use belt driven vacuum pumps on the block for this purpose. Also, I have always retained the factory PCV with check valve on the intake manifold for off boost PCV.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo
From my experience a properly built turbo motor should not "burn" oil in the sense that it is consumed internally either through poor ring sealing or valve guides when driving under moderate conditions. With that said, losing 1/4-1/2qt in 5K miles would be acceptable to me.
I have not read this thread but am responding to the above comment. Nothing to do with built engines but as I work at BMW its a common complaint that "my engine burns oil", well as per BMW, 1L every 1000 kms is completely NORMAL (this goes for turbo engines or natually asperated) I find it hard to believe, but that is their cut off limit for normal, (as I personally think its rather excessive) but that covers them to be able to extinguish from problem to normal Engines will always burn some oil, as long as it is not excessive and dont have blue smoke flareing out the exhaust, your normally good to go. Engines also burn more oil during highway use

I do agree that they really shouldnt burn much oil while driving under moderate conditions...

(BTW I will take the time to read the thread after)
Old Jun 8, 2012, 08:20 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
This is the last time this thread will be cleaned. OP, your initial post was edited to only include information about the current problem you are experiencing. Anything else about a vendor should be handled via a vendor review in the vendor review section.

No more flaming or derailing of this thread will be tolerated - that includes vendors.