Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

anyone one else probs with burning oil in buschur built motor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anyone one else probs with burning oil in buschur built motor?

like the title says ive noticed my cars burns oil soon as its starts building boost or i shift big puffs of bule smoke comes out the back and honestly its quite embarrassing after ive just spent thousands upon thousands of dollars with buschur racing!!! I just got done with my build not to long ago.. brand new built stg3 motor, new stg 3 head, and brand new fp hta 35r, brand new double pumper etc. etc, etc, i got the motor back put everything together then trailer'ed it to get vpro installed and tuned. So then i go to get it tuned and " everyone " says u can tell the motor was built " loose" it makes all kinds of noise at idle and high rpm.. also when dyno'ing it when he'd let off youd see a little bit of blue smoke come out almost after every pull! so theres the story if anyone can make sense of it also theres alot left out but there the main facts.

Iam just woundering if anyone else has had or is having the same probs with there built motor and if they are what would be the best way about fixing it ? im just scared to hear "the motor has to come out again".

Last edited by Nsomniac; Jun 8, 2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Vendor review should be filled out for vendor complaints.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

As far as i know from my car and other built motor cars, all of them burn oil. Others more, others less...

BTW what weight oil do you use? it really makes a difference on the consumption...
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what oil?
how was it broke in?
what is the actual ptw clearance?
what do you have for crankcase ventilation?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kouzman
As far as i know from my car and other built motor cars, all of them burn oil. Others more, others less...

BTW what weight oil do you use? it really makes a difference on the consumption...

i understand that ive owned dsms since 99 lol i know a lil bit about them cosuming oil but im talking like a quart every 4-5 days !!!! and ive tried allllll differnt kinds of oil and weights, brand penn, now im using valvoline vr1 racing oil 20/50 weight and i seem to get the ' quietest ' ride from that.. but soon as i start to get into boost or let off the gas im crop dusting ppl behind me and its embarrassing considering all the money ive spent on this setup.

what do u guys rec or use for best oil consumption ?? weight/brand..
Old Jun 5, 2012, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
what oil?
how was it broke in?
what is the actual ptw clearance?
what do you have for crankcase ventilation?
it was started up for about 5 secs saw it was mixing oil and coolant taken back out of the car sent to buschur he tore it down said everything great inside everything was broken in/ seating correctly so i was happy with that, as far as ptw clearence i have no idea im gonna say to daves spec or his machine shops?? after i got it back the second time i had it on low boost and babbied it for about 3-4 weeks one to break it in and 2 the main reason i was so scared it was gonna mix oil and coolant again.

i have a jmf oil catch can with one coming out of the calve cover going to the catch can and still using the stock pcv valve and still hooked to the intake mani.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1badgsex
it was started up for about 5 secs saw it was mixing oil and coolant taken back out of the car sent to buschur he tore it down said everything great inside everything was broken in/ seating correctly so i was happy with that, as far as ptw clearence i have no idea im gonna say to daves spec or his machine shops?? after i got it back the second time i had it on low boost and babbied it for about 3-4 weeks one to break it in and 2 the main reason i was so scared it was gonna mix oil and coolant again.

i have a jmf oil catch can with one coming out of the calve cover going to the catch can and still using the stock pcv valve and still hooked to the intake mani.
thats why you are consuming oil. try changing to a non synthetic conventional oil and beat the **** out of it for a while. that may help to seat the rings. if that doesnt work, its time for a hone, new rings and a proper break in. also, get rid of the pcv valve and let the crankcase breathe thru both ports.

Last edited by n2oiroc; Jun 5, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

i understand that ive owned dsms since 99 lol i know a lil bit about them cosuming oil but im talking like a quart every 4-5 days !!!! and ive tried allllll differnt kinds of oil and weights, brand penn, now im using valvoline vr1 racing oil 20/50 weight and i seem to get the ' quietest ' ride from that.. but soon as i start to get into boost or let off the gas im crop dusting ppl behind me and its embarrassing considering all the money ive spent on this setup.

what do u guys rec or use for best oil consumption ?? weight/brand..
Brand Penn is a very good oil from what i hear, i never had the opportunity to use it.

I was using Valvoline VR-1 20w50 during the summer and Valvoline premium 10w40 in the winter... My consumption never exceeded about 1/3 quart per 1000 miles, which even that was from the valve seals...

As mentioned in a post, what kind of crank and head ventilation are you using? Have you researched other possible reasons of oil burning like the turbo?

Maybe i am wrong but having blue smoke when lifting the gas could be the turbo, no?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

thats why you are consuming oil.

why is that? and i meant babying as in not pulling it to 10krpm from light to light and beatin the ***** out of it ! when it went back to buschur and he disassembled and reassembled it if there was a prob or something that was not right dont u think he would of caught it or fixed it?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

On the breaking in, what we did we ran the engine for 5 mins to warm up, checked everything for leaks, then changed the oil and the tuned it! I went to the track and ran my first 130+ trap on pump with less than 150 miles on the motor...

I agree to remove the pcv valve and vent it from both ways... I wad used a honda vent kit for that...
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kouzman
Brand Penn is a very good oil from what i hear, i never had the opportunity to use it.

I was using Valvoline VR-1 20w50 during the summer and Valvoline premium 10w40 in the winter... My consumption never exceeded about 1/3 quart per 1000 miles, which even that was from the valve seals...

As mentioned in a post, what kind of crank and head ventilation are you using? Have you researched other possible reasons of oil burning like the turbo?

Maybe i am wrong but having blue smoke when lifting the gas could be the turbo, no?

thats always what i thought is when u lift off of the gas and u see smoke its the turbo but its brand new!! right from fp.. everyone that hears the car says it sounds like the motor ws built loose.. im gonna try and see what i can come up with and try out a differnt pcv route
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

why is that? and i meant babying as in not pulling it to 10krpm from light to light and beatin the ***** out of it ! when it went back to buschur and he disassembled and reassembled it if there was a prob or something that was not right dont u think he would of caught it or fixed it?
the rings need cylinder pressure (boost and high rpm's) to seat properly, especially on a loose clearance built engine. you can build an engine to perfection, but if its not broken in correctly for its application, then it will never perform correctly and it will use oil.

how many miles total on the engine?

btw, im not trying to be negative or to give you all bad news. we do want to help.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

thats why you are consuming oil. try changing to a non synthetic conventional oil and beat the **** out of it for a while. that may help to seat the rings. if that doesnt work, its time for a hone, new rings and a proper break in. also, get rid of the pcv valve and let the crankcase breathe thru both ports.

yeah it was started with non syn oil but thats when that mixing diaster happened so im gonna try the non syn oil and see what happens.. thanks for the help input!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

the rings need cylinder pressure (boost and high rpm's) to seat properly, especially on a loose clearance built engine. you can build an engine to perfection, but if its not broken in correctly for its application, then it will never perform correctly and it will use oil.

how many miles total on the engine?

btw, im not trying to be negative or to give you all bad news. we do want to help.

no i totally understand and really appreciate your guys input and help ! i think there may be 3-4000 miles on it total, im tryint o find a good pvc/crackcase setup on here but not having too good of luck anyone know of a good link or a proper setup on here?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

no i totally understand and really appreciate your guys input and help ! i think there may be 3-4000 miles on it total, im tryint o find a good pvc/crackcase setup on here but not having too good of luck anyone know of a good link or a proper setup on here?
do you have a picture or a link to the can you are currently using?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

do you have a picture or a link to the can you are currently using?
http://www.jmfabrications.com/store/...-Catchcan.html

same exact one i have one i have open to air other is running from the side of the valve cover

Quick Reply: anyone one else probs with burning oil in buschur built motor?