Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case and Rear diff noises after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case and Rear diff noises after fluid change

After performing the 60k mile service on my Evo IX, the transfer case is making a loud grinding noise on deceleration. Not the typical death whine. There also seems to be a noise coming from the back of the car that sounds like something that would be rotating would be making. Seems to me that it would be the rear differential as well.

I have never heard either of these noises before changing the fluids on the car.

***The fluid that was used was a sealed container of Mitsubishi Diaqueen GL5 Part # 3775610 ***

Having said that, the symptoms sound exactly like I somehow got the wrong gear oil. Is it possible that I got the wrong oil from the Mitsubishi factory? Again, this was a sealed gallon container, not something that the dealership filled up.

The oil that came out of the car transfer case and rear differential was a good bit thicker than what we put into it as well. However, this is the first time I have changed the fluids myself so I cannot verify that what came out was the recommended Mitsubishi Diaqueen.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:37 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations? The car is sitting until I can figure out what to do with the fluids.

Edit: The noises also only appear when the car is warmed up and the fluids thin out.

Last edited by RawrImAMonster; Jun 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:00 PM

A binding noise is common in the rear diff so it's recommended that you add 1.5 ounces of LSD additive in order to alleviate this. As for your transfer case, you might want to check your fluid level. We recommend Red Line Heavy ShockProof for both the transfer case and rear diff on daily driven vehicle.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:58 PM

After doing some research, I think I'm going to go with the amsoil SVG 75w-90. Lots of people were leaving good reviews for it and the amsoil I switched to in my transmission is working as it should.

I know a lot of people say to only use diaqueen, but I'm not exactly having a good experience with it.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Are you sure you put the proper amounts in each?? I would seriously double check.

There is no reason you should have to add any additives to anything. My TC/Rear Diff has seen nothing but Diaqueen for over 140k miles. As have many many other Evo owners here.

Redline nor Amsoil are going to make a spit of difference to quiet anything and if they do then either

1. You got a bad can of Diaqueen LSD Gear Oil
2. You didn't service them properly
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Also when where the fluids last changed? and with what?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:22 PM

Well now that you changed the fluids and drove around, I would get under the car it being level and recheck the levels of the fluid and make sure its full. They can be misleading when filling if you didn't measure out the fluid to know the correct amount you put in. Very strange its making noise all of a sudden, I use oem and never had a problem.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RawrImAMonster
After doing some research, I think I'm going to go with the amsoil SVG 75w-90. Lots of people were leaving good reviews for it and the amsoil I switched to in my transmission is working as it should.

I know a lot of people say to only use diaqueen, but I'm not exactly having a good experience with it.
There is no real solid reason as to why anyone has to only use OEM other than pure choice.

What many are not realizing is the relaxed quality there has been in OEM oils and some aftermarket oils in the past 2 years due to high increase cost in oil base stocks. This has pushed many companies over the edge to set a side quality of product and place in front bigger profit margins.

Don't take my word for it, read what I share and look at the testing we have done and then do your own research and make your own decicions, I assure you will come back and be shaking my hand,,, maybe
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:46 PM

I am positive that they were filled correctly and the TC was topped off after driving it around a couple miles. The fluid was changed on a level lift so that is not the issue either.

I will update this thread when I get the amsoil I ordered later this week.

My guess so far is a bad batch of the diaqueen.

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Also when where the fluids last changed? and with what?
If you read the original post, you will see that I said I'm not sure what was in it previously as this is my first change since I've owned the car. The drain plug on the TC had no metal shavings either (at least before the oem stuff was put into it, we'll see when I replace it with the amsoil).

Last edited by RawrImAMonster; Jun 10, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
There is no real solid reason as to why anyone has to only use OEM other than pure choice.

What many are not realizing is the relaxed quality there has been in OEM oils and some aftermarket oils in the past 2 years due to high increase cost in oil base stocks. This has pushed many companies over the edge to set a side quality of product and place in front bigger profit margins.

Don't take my word for it, read what I share and look at the testing we have done and then do your own research and make your own decicions, I assure you will come back and be shaking my hand,,, maybe
Should have seen this coming
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

OP you should grab a sample when you drain the tc and rear diff. Send it out to Blackstone or similar for testing.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Should have seen this coming
Oh!! pack sand bubba, you are so frecking annoying that is not funny anymore.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Its weird. I have complained about the same noises. It started right after my clutch swap. Even with a new TC. I used Amsoil for trans and Diaqueen for the TC.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pirana
Its weird. I have complained about the same noises. It started right after my clutch swap. Even with a new TC. I used Amsoil for trans and Diaqueen for the TC.
It's possible that a bad batch got out there. If yours was recent and you still have the can, would you mind posting your batch id? It's on the label on the side of the can.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unfortuntely i threw the can away and put it on a different container. But like you I have triple checked the level and it seemed also thin, compared to what I had before which was Redline.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case and Rear diff noises after fluid change