Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I'm looking for advice on transmission and clutch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm looking for advice on transmission and clutch

I decided to make this thread in hopes to get some real-world advice from you guys. I normally would contact shep trans directly and ask them, but I hate asking a shop for help when I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet...

My transmission has been grinding from 1-2 and high RPM 4-5th since I bought the car (previous owner either beat the hell out of it or couldn't drive). I pulled the plug on the bell housing and from what I can tell through the tiny hole; the clutch is factory. Lately I have been missing 2-3 and it's either from the clutch not working well at high rpm shifts or the tranny is just getting worse. I have decided before I go any further with the car I'm going to get the drive train working right.

I basically need to know which clutch would be good for my car. I know there are $2,500 clutches out there, but I don't think that is necessary for my car. Currently I have intake/exhaust/25psi tune and it made 327hp/313tq. I plan to get the car to about 400-450hp on the next set of mods, so keep that in mind.

The transfer case is fine from what I can tell. I get a "whine" in 1st and 2nd but it has to be the tranny because it doesn't happen in any other gear...

Because my tranny grinds, I know it isn't 100%. Obviously someone cannot tell how bad it is until it gets opened up. My question about the transmission is, should I get a new tranny from Shep/TRE/etc... or should I get a rebuild? I have read about how Shep will not put a tranny back together if the parts aren't 100% (which is a good thing), but I'm just wondering if I should just get a brand new tranny since mine has a lot of problems grinding between gears, or if a rebuild is feasible...

I'm looking to do this right the first time, but I don't want to go overboard with parts if they're not necessary for the power levels I'm at.

I think that covers it all and I'm going to quit rambling now, but if you guys need me to clarify something just ask.

EDIT: I'm basically looking for advice on a good tranny/clutch combo for a non-DD car that rarely will see a track but I do drive pretty aggressive on the street, and I launch from time to time... I guess "aggressive street" is the right label for my car.

Last edited by ILuvJDM; Jun 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the 5th gear grind for a LONG time and had Shep rebuild it for me. All other gears worked fine though. I knew I would be modifying my car a lot over the years so I went evo 8 3rd and 4th gear set. Longer and better for the dragstrip. My 5th gear had to be replaced but I haven't had a problem since. I've put approximately 30k miles on the trans and I've beat the hell out of it. I would recommend Shep any day of the week. And if your planning to make 400+whp I'd go with EVO 8 3rd and 4th. And your trans should be fine to use. He would just have to replace the gears that grind, if necessary. More than likely they will need to be replaced if its been doing it for a while. Your gonna spend a lot more money using a new core. But that's all up to you. Shep doesn't put anything back together that isn't up to his specs. Its worth the money sir.
As far as clutch is concerned...this is a heated debate on here. I recommend a Competition clutch whether you go twin or traditional. A lot of shops have tested the new Competition HD Street clutch setup. Holds a lot of power and easy to drive. It's a full street disc with 2900lb pressure plate. I have the twin because I like going to the dragstrip and want something that will grab hard when I want it to. It's not too bad for street use either.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

very good post. I've been reading about this ultimate ratio tranny... what does that entail? Is that the 1,2,5 from an Evo 9 and 3,4 from Evo 8?

I was looking at the quartermaster 8-leg clutch, but i was unsure if that was overkill for my future power level. I think it's good to 600ft/lbs and at that point I will need a built motor and swapping the clutch will be an easy bolt-on at that point. I just don't want to get a clutch that will need to be swapped in the future when I'm at around 400-450hp and probably 400tq

edit: I'm not sure how the process works at shep, but what I just didn't want to do was send in my tranny for a rebuild and in the end it costs more than if I were to just buy a new one straight up - if that makes sense

Last edited by ILuvJDM; Jun 10, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

When they rebuild it you keep your factory 1st, 2nd, and 5th. All they change is 3rd and 4th out with EVO 8 gears. The IX has a taller 1st gear than the VIII. And I believe 5th was a tad longer in the IX. And since 3rd and 4th were shorter it made the 5th grind a common problem because it's a big drop from 4th to 5th. It's much nicer with the VIII 3rd and 4th gears.

I've heard some good things about the 8 leg clutch. But I don't know much about it. I've seen a few guys making 350-400whp on the competition street clutch and they say it works great. I actually considered going with it myself.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

yep, I should have updated my post. I decided on the Competition Clutch "stage 2" kit after I saw the English Racing review on it. I haven't bought anything yet, but that's what I plan on getting
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

It's def a good clutch, will do just fine.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no need to spend over $700 on a clutch for the power/rpm level you are at. as far as the trans, dont expect a $895 rebuild. mine ended up needing $700 worth of gears.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

that's what I assumed, and that wouldn't be a problem - I was actually considering getting a new tranny from them so I could take it to a shop and have it all installed in a timely manner. I think I'm going to do it myself and just send mine in for a rebuild since the car is not my DD
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
yep, I should have updated my post. I decided on the Competition Clutch "stage 2" kit after I saw the English Racing review on it. I haven't bought anything yet, but that's what I plan on getting
Good choice! Very inexspensive clutch kit!

I think my trans ended up being around $1700 with everything I had done to it. Replaced 5th gear, evo VIII 3rd and 4th gears, REM ISF process on everything. I don't regret it one bit though!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the curvy countryside roads what would you suggest, got a EVO 9FQ400, also whats the best replacement clutch package?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueIX
Good choice! Very inexspensive clutch kit!

I think my trans ended up being around $1700 with everything I had done to it. Replaced 5th gear, evo VIII 3rd and 4th gears, REM ISF process on everything. I don't regret it one bit though!
that's what I've been reading, everyone is happy with the clutch and surprised at the power it holds actually... I guess I'll get the OEM flywheel resurfaced as well, any thoughts on that?

$1700 is very affordable and I would be okay with that. I would guess that 2nd gear on my car is messed up from the grind it has had from the day I bought it, but you never know... I was actually set on getting a new one for $3k, so anything less than that is money I can use on my next power mods

I'm still in the air about doing it myself (never done an Evo clutch/tranny swap) or have a shop do it. There are 2 local shops that I would trust, but I just hate taking my car places and especially leaving it for 1-2months while the tranny is rebuilt (or however long it takes)