Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

A strange problem i have, AFRs lean on idle only

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A strange problem i have, AFRs lean on idle only

a few weeks ago i was going to a city(300km away) and hit a big water puddle (very heavy rain that time) on the road. the car stopped and died. i unfortunately didnt have an undertray as well as no air box cover on the air filter as i had been working on the car the day before. i got CELs, got one for MAF malfunction another for crank position sensor malfunction. eventually after waiting for a while for every thing to dry off the car started and ran fine to the city. drove around the city, and was fine. on the way back ran fine for about 200kms....then it started to develop a slight missfire about 2k. i got home and checked the engine and found a lot of water in the spark plugs area. so the water had splashed and wet the coils and gotten to where the spark plugs were.

i replaced the plugs with some brand new iridium, first cleaning the area dry. then the car ran ok but still the misfire. so i regaped to them 0.24 (on coppers i run 0.28 without issues). still the misfire, thinking maybe the coils or leads are fubar i replaced the coils with a spare set of evo9 coils.

now the situation is on idle the car is misfiring and is very bad, sometimes sounds like its running on 3 cylinders. all this time i see that AFRs are about 20-22:1. i checked the short term fuel trim is maxed out. it does move but usually sticks to 25 on evoscan, but this is only at idle. as soon as rpms rise while idling (over 3k) the AFR comes back towards normal. driving around with just level road and no load (cruising) the AFRs are what they should be 14.3-14.9.

the load logged via evoscan at idle is fine so is the airflow Hz. (31ish)

i pulled the middle plug and reset the ecu... but still this problem is still there. does anyone have an idea?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:29 PM

If it got worse after the EVO 9 coils, maybe one was bad (if they were used).
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

i think its the same... but will confirm again.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:22 PM

Also pull and check the plugs. Never know if something is causing one to foul out.
I'm also thinking that if your afr is that high you are losing a lot of fuel. If water got all the way to the plugs, maybe something is up with one of the injectors...