Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

recommend me a street clutch: 475whp/400wtq

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
recommend me a street clutch: 475whp/400wtq

hey guys, i've read through quite a few threads and driven different setups so i know exactly what i want in my next clutch.

a little background - i have a DBB Red with full bolt ons on pump and will be making mid to high 4xx whp and plan on staying on stock block for as long as i can, hence the self imposed 400wtq limit. the car came with an ACT XTSS and gone through 2 Quartermaster 6 leg rebuilds (with the last one lasting me 13k miles with the plate modified).

the car is mainly a weekend car, sees a few time attacks a year, and i'm not into drag racing at all.

these are important to me:
- cost - $1500 would be the absolute limit, but cheaper the better. getting married next year so money will be tight.
- service life - i'd want atleast 25k miles. that way i'm not doing clutch jobs every year
- shifting - i don't bang gears, but i love how the QM connects gears. love the downshifting too

these are NOT important to me:
- N/V/H - i don't care if it screams, rattles, whines etc.
- rough engagements - as long as it doesn't chatter too much. i have no problems with hills with my QM 6 leg even though everyone that drives my car complains about it.
- pedal effort - i'm not a ***** in fact the QM is too light for my taste

currently not considering:
- ACT - had high rpm lockouts regardless of clutch adjustment
- Exedy Twin - don't want to be dealing with popping retaining pins; don't want to pay for AMS push conversion
- Exedy Triple - way out of my price range

i'm considering QM's new 8 leg street/strip twin, but will it last 25k+ miles with my type of driving? that's to say roughly twice of what i got from the modified 6 leg.

i've read good things about the newer line of Competition clutches - HD (stage 2i think?) as reviewed by Lucas English - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...-alt-hdss.html. note, i don't need to shift any faster than Lucas does in the video.

everyone has a different idea of what makes a good clutch, so i'm looking for one that fits my bill. any input would be appreciated
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
carbonetic blade like curt used. I am using the stock pressure plate version and love the stock like drive.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ch-system.html
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any more opinions on this? In the same boat as the OP between the comp Stg 2 or the qm street version
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the Comp HD just like your thinking. I'm running it and really enjoy it so far. I think Luke is running the unsprung disc now and it shifts even better from his review thread.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 on Comp stuff
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
I'm testing the Carbonetic Blade soon, I haven't quite got the same power as you but i'll be sure to give it a good hiding

Pic taken by me:
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I really like the Competition Stage 2 clutch that you have linked in the first post. It has been in for about 9,000 miles and feels great with me banging through the gears all the time.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used an Exedy twin for 13,000 miles and never had an issue. I just went with a triple because i'm planing on making more power than the twin was good for. I have the twin I can sell that needs a rebuild kit. looking for get 600 shipped with paypal fees. it worked absolutely perfect for me and never gave me any problems at all.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:23 AM

Exedy twin will be your best bet never had a problem 10k shifts at the track no problem
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Comp stage 2 here with 15k miles power in sig no issues so far just great shifting and holding power.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Go with the sure stuff exedy twin or tripple save yourself the headaches and alot of money swithing clutchs that don't work or last long.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i've used the exedy twin for the last 5 years, first one lasted around 40,000with about 120 runs [1/4 mile] with the os green on e85 low 11s, best 11.00 ang never had a single problem. next exedy twin i just changed, got well over 60,000 but i only made six passes with the red [jb] at the drag strip one being a 10sec pass and the rest being 11.1s and never a problem, now i have the quarter master 8 leg street, been driving it about 3 weeks and i love it, i'm just a little scared in regards to how long its gonna last? i now have the bb red after the jb red took a dump if i were you i would only consider the exedy twinhd or the 8 leg qm. as far as the wave rings popping off, it seems to me that it mostly happens to higher hp cars like 550hp or so, and stacking the wave rings seems to help the issue to a point until hp takes over. and lastly i hope this new qm lasts longer than the 25,000 that you said you got good luck on your decision and looking foward to up-dates on your choice as far as pros and cons.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
hey guys, i ended up with the Competition stage 3.5 (5152-2600) ceramic clutch + Comp light flywheel combo. the pedal is perfect, with the pressure right between the old QM 6 leg (too light for my taste) and ACT XTSS. the take up is obviously more aggressive than stock but very liveable and far easier to drive than the QM 6 leg. the downshifting is on par with the QM 6 leg (which is to say it's decently rev happy for a low compression turbo car) and that is very important to me since i came from the Honda world.

i'm also happy to report that i don't have any lockout issues with 8000rpm shifts. besides the slight chatter from a dead stop, this clutch is exactly what i've been looking for. if i stay stock block, i would like to try the Comp stage 2 HD (for a longer life) next time though since i don't launch the car at all.

p.s tscompusa gave me the best price i've found of all the vendors
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:40 AM

SBC(SOUTH BEND CLUTCHES) ALL THE WAY!!!!! http://tmzperformance.com/Mitsubishi...%2520Kits.html

Last edited by ceegutta; Feb 24, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I say the comp stg 2 with unsprung street disc is best single I have driven to date. I have them in stock ready to ship.

Carbon to steal has always seem to be a loser and the top plate the like to warp on the Exedy does not justfiy the extra cost. I feel this comp out shifts any of my Exedy twins I have had in the past.

Quick Reply: recommend me a street clutch: 475whp/400wtq