Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS GTII 7460R -> external wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
HKS GTII 7460R -> external wastegate?

Gentlemen,

I'm a bit sick of fixing this turbo actuator, rod, flapper etc. Is there any way to convert this turbo to use external wastegate? To solve the issue once and forever? Anybody did it before?

Thank you!

Anton
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.maperformance.com/map-sta...-o2e-cg40.html
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
bleh... beaten. got sidtracked.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nollij
bleh... beaten. got sidtracked.
Only reason was I was on Map ordering mine up
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Wow! So I just need to remove my o2 housing and downpipe and replace with that thing? THAT easy?!? Nice

Anybody using it already?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Plenty of people. Works great.

Just connect the HKS WGA to compressor housing pressure and run your Boost controller to the WGA on the MAP downpipe.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Can I simply keep HKS WG open all the time (remove flapper and actuator) and use MAP WG only?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
this product does slow turbo spool. the runners are no longer separated. defeats the purpose of having a twin scroll bolt on turbo. really bad for choice for turbo that prides itself on ultra fast spool.

the best fix is to install a mitsubishi 10.5cm hotside. any good turbo shop can machine the housing to fit. the wastegate can is not the problem. the adjustment comes loose because the exhaust housing is wearing out were the arm swivels in the housing.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
this product does slow turbo spool. the runners are no longer separated. defeats the purpose of having a twin scroll bolt on turbo. really bad for choice for turbo that prides itself on ultra fast spool.

the best fix is to install a mitsubishi 10.5cm hotside. any good turbo shop can machine the housing to fit. the wastegate can is not the problem. the adjustment comes loose because the exhaust housing is wearing out were the arm swivels in the housing.
Please explain how this slows spool. You are sill using the internal gate in conjunction with the external
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Brianawd
Please explain how this slows spool. You are sill using the internal gate in conjunction with the external
Jerry is assuming that you're leaving the stock internal wastegate flapper open.

I'm currently running a "dual" wastegate setup with the internal wastegate and an external wastegate.
This ensures that the turbo still spools up quickly, and has excellent boost control with the external wastegate.

Overkill? Yes.
Does it work? Yes.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike
....I'm currently running a "dual" wastegate setup with the internal wastegate and an external waste gate......This ensures that the turbo still spools up quickly, and has excellent boost control with the external waste gate........
Hmmm....You've been keeping this from us Mike! Might you have any illustrative pics to share with us
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RSMike
Jerry is assuming that you're leaving the stock internal wastegate flapper open.

I'm currently running a "dual" wastegate setup with the internal wastegate and an external wastegate.
This ensures that the turbo still spools up quickly, and has excellent boost control with the external wastegate.

Overkill? Yes.
Does it work? Yes.
that wont work here. the problem with the hks turbos is the internal flapper no longer seals on the seat when used with the hks actuator. the bearing for the flapper shaft wears out prematurely. the actuator no longer pivots at proper angle so it doesnt seat the valve flat. many describe the problem as "warped arm" . arm is not warping but the effect is the same.

the only justice for this problem is to replace the bearing and shaft or whole housing with mitsubishi hot parts.

twin scroll effect (fast spool) is lost when flapper opens or doesnt seat correctly in this case.
to use external gate you normally eliminate flapper or weld it open.

mike is using a properly functioning flapper in conjunction with external gate 02 setup. not sure why. I have never had a problem getting internal gates to control boost like they should. maybe he can explain in more detail what he was trying to achieve.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolving Member

The problem I have had with internal gates is Slow response. I have adjusted them over and over but was never happy. On my old green(my old dsm) when I switch from the internal to external I gained 250rpms in spool. I was hopping running the internal and external set up would give me much better boost control.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I've ordered a flapper door for HKS built-in wastegate (34 mm from Forced Performance, some guys from Russia did us it successfully as a replacement part) and also FP actuator (old school, no nuts & bolts in the middle like HKS has). You've mentioned I also need to repalce bearing and shaft? Are they direct replacement from stock Evo IX turbo? Do you happen to know part numbers if you've did such a rebuild before?

P.S. Turbo is excellent. Works fine. When it works, damn

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
that wont work here. the problem with the hks turbos is the internal flapper no longer seals on the seat when used with the hks actuator. the bearing for the flapper shaft wears out prematurely. the actuator no longer pivots at proper angle so it doesnt seat the valve flat. many describe the problem as "warped arm" . arm is not warping but the effect is the same.

the only justice for this problem is to replace the bearing and shaft or whole housing with mitsubishi hot parts.

twin scroll effect (fast spool) is lost when flapper opens or doesnt seat correctly in this case.
to use external gate you normally eliminate flapper or weld it open.

mike is using a properly functioning flapper in conjunction with external gate 02 setup. not sure why. I have never had a problem getting internal gates to control boost like they should. maybe he can explain in more detail what he was trying to achieve.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KOOLER
I've ordered a flapper door for HKS built-in wastegate (34 mm from Forced Performance, some guys from Russia did us it successfully as a replacement part) and also FP actuator (old school, no nuts & bolts in the middle like HKS has). You've mentioned I also need to repalce bearing and shaft? Are they direct replacement from stock Evo IX turbo? Do you happen to know part numbers if you've did such a rebuild before?

P.S. Turbo is excellent. Works fine. When it works, damn
THe flapper on HKS turbo is 42mm. The mitsubishi 10.5 flapper is 40mm. I also measured bearings to see if shaft and bearing from mitsu turbo can be used. The HKS bearing is larger in diameter. So fitting the mitsu bearing and arm would not be easy. The 40mm will cover the bigger ports on HKS. But I think 34mm will be too small.

Quick Reply: HKS GTII 7460R -> external wastegate?