Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car goes lean then dies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car goes lean then dies

So I just built my new IX engine and I made a previous thread about issues I've had. I've diagnosed a lot of things since then and the issue now is different.

My engine is a fresh build including injectors and fuel pump, but the FPR is off my old evo 8 engine, I'm on speed density with omnipower 4 bar map sensor that came with my IX motor.. I broke the engine in as told by my machine shop. My car runs extremely rough and my wide-band shows the car going extremely lean past 17-18, then the car will die. After a while the car wouldn't start. The car has a very hard start to begin with.

Diagnosis steps:

• I drained my tank and put new gas in the car
  • Base timing is correct
  • Swapped both cam sensors (did not fix the problem, I'm going to put my cam sensors in my buddies car to make sure there is no issue)
  • Replaced my bad IAC solenoid and now the car idles better but I still have all the problems as mentioned. The funny thing was all the points had resistance of 29 in everyone, but the IAC was loud as hell and acted really funny. It was completely noticeable that the IAC was bad when I tried my friends.
  • I replaced one of my bad fuel pump relays with one that was in my car. This fixed my no fuel issue.
  • I checked for spark in the cylinder #1 and I saw a strong spark ( I did not check any other cylinder)
Next I'm going to make sure it's not a fuel pump issue. A buddy of mine is going to let my try out his fuel pump unit. If this doesn't work I'm going to see maybe if there is an ECU problem and flash my ECU with his tune to see if my ECU will work in his car.

1. What would your guys suggestions be?
  2. Is it a possibility of my FPR?
  3. If I pull the vacuum line off, would this diagnose the FPR on my car? It's almost like my car is cutting out on fuel.
  4. What sensors should I be looking at?
  5. What areas would you guys recommend to check for voltage and how much volts they should read at the connector?
  6. How can I tell if my MAP sensor is working properly?

Last edited by Graphic; Jun 19, 2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

When my FPR went bad it flooded the engine with fuel. The car would not start because it was flooded and my spark plugs were soaked.

Have you check to see if the car is getting fuel?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:43 AM
Evolving Member

Have you checked the front O2 sensor?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

I would start with fuel pump, mines die on me on the highway, car just shuts down and won't start.when i installed new walbro 255 prob was gone.Another thing to do is to check your gas filter when last did you changed that could be clogged up you never know.I don't think is the MAF sensor since the car is getting more air than fuel, if that was messed up you would be running rich instead.
good luck.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 06:42 PM

Are the new injectors, you installed, set up correctly (scaling and latency)? And is SD set up correctly? It sounds like a tune issue.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoRuss
Are the new injectors, you installed, set up correctly (scaling and latency)? And is SD set up correctly? It sounds like a tune issue.

I fixed the problem, but I have to diagnose exactly where it was. It's either fuel pump, fuel pick up unit, fuel pump relays. I decided to eliminate everything I thought it would be and now I'm going to work backwards. I initially diagnosed the issue down to the fuel pick up/fuel pump even though the fuel pump is new.

I'll post up the exact issue it was when I am finished. I do believe my problem to be a 1 off though.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

Was a bad fuel pick up.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

Glad you got it solved
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HaVoC187
Glad you got it solved
Thanks dude. Someone hooked me up with one last night in trade for some software I had laying around!! Was a huge benefit to the both of use