Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 o2 housing install cause turbo to not spool. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 o2 housing install cause turbo to not spool. HELP!

So I went ahead and installed the o2 housing and did it by removing the hotside of the turbo. When I installed the hot side with new o2 housing and hooked everything back up the turbo doesnt spool and the car has no boost. Is there a certain way to put the turbo back together? Thanks in advance..
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You removed the clamp and pulled the housing off the center section?? If so, the first thing to check is that the housing is fully seated (there is a locator pin). If it is even a little bit off the wheel can contact the housing which would be game over. Next, would be proper adjustment of the wastegate actuator. If the flapper is being held open you will have a hell of a time getting into boost.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:34 AM
Evolving Member

if it doesn't spool at all make sure the wastegate arm hasn't come off the flap.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=Calvin Bonar;10239873]...the turbo doesnt spool and the car has no boost...[QUOTE][QUOTE][QUOTE]

You do have a boost gauge installed, I assume? The gauge indicates zero psi. Is this correct?

Last edited by sparky; Jun 23, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flymx771
You removed the clamp and pulled the housing off the center section?? If so, the first thing to check is that the housing is fully seated (there is a locator pin). If it is even a little bit off the wheel can contact the housing which would be game over. Next, would be proper adjustment of the wastegate actuator. If the flapper is being held open you will have a hell of a time getting into boost.
[QUOTE][/

This is right. Think back to your removal of the turbine housing. To do this you had to disconnect the actuator assembly either by removing the two bolts that fix the actuator bracket to the compressor housing, or alternately you had to have disconnected the turnbuckle tip on the end of the actuator rod from the peg on the flapper valve's pivot arm. So, how did you go about disconnecting the actuator?

Last edited by sparky; Jun 23, 2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:05 AM

I disconnected the actuator by removing the pin connected to the hotside. I did not "line" up the hotside to the turbo assembly, I just put it together and tightened the V-clamp. How do I fix this problem!!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

so, why would the hotside be taken off for this install? is it for aftermarket turbos? At least on the stock frames, i just don't see the need to remove the hotside.

I'm open to education though...
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:42 PM

Because by removing the hotside its the fastest way to do the o2 housing install I believe
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Seeing as the o2 housing bolts up to the hotside it isn't necessary to remove it.

You really should take the turbo back out and snap some pics to post up. Make sure the clamp is completely seated. There should be about 1/4 inch or so of threads showing. And again the wastegate rod should have a bit of preload on it. If you are easily able to slide the rod of the arm it isn't enough. Now too much preload will cause boost to spike, so make sure it is adjusted correctly!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Best thing to do is remove the turbo and re-assemble the hotside. Also take this time to check for any damage to the turbine blades. Now can you spin the wheel by hand? If so it may just be an exhaust leak.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:25 AM

Fixed it! I took it apart again and got the nipple to line up in the hole as well as the v clamp tight, went out for a test drive and it spools up so fast now, also more power!! thanks guys
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Glad to hear you fixed it!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 02:55 PM

I am having similar issue. I replaced the exhaust system, didnt touch the hotside of the turbo or the turbo. I removed the header, o2 housing, downpipe, and the rest back.. installed new invidia ones. I put everything back together.. Now when I turn on the car its like the turbo isn't present... when I step on gas my boost does not go past 0, but my vac is reading just fine. Help if you can! Thanks..
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

A MAJOR pre-turbo exhaust leak?

Last edited by sparky; Apr 17, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:27 AM

I will tourqe check everything today.

Quick Reply: Evo 8 o2 housing install cause turbo to not spool. HELP!