Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Small oil leak with pics (please help)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small oil leak with pics (please help)

I just got my EVO on Thursday of last week and aside from the few small issues which were previously disclosed by the other owner, I've fallen in love with this car so fast. We did an even trade for my 2000 S2000. Yesterday, my wife's dad took my car out for a spin. I told him to have some fun with it because he was skeptical of it because it looks "like a match box." He comes back highly impressed and we are out in the driveway talking about it. The car was parked in the same spot it had previously been every other time I'm not driving it. As we are talking, he notices one drop of oil drip onto the ground. I checked underneath and it almost looked like it was coming from the drain plug. I didn't have time to clean everything off so I took it through a car wash with a strong under body spray to try to get it off as much as I could. I parked in a different spot last night and this morning I checked for oil. there was a drop on the ground and a drop was forming on a little plate (I dont know exactly what it is, sorry) right next to the drain plug.

Being not an expert on this car, and I assume there ARE experts on this site, does anyone have any input as to what this leak most likely is coming from?

Photos are currently uploading, I will post them as soon as they finish... SLOW connection
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:54 AM

Question

**** after looking at pictures, it wasn't the drain plug lol. Looks like a suspension bolt of some sort. Still looking for help though. ****

Thanks guys and girls
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Fluids will work their way down and back to the lowest point they can. Like that "plate you call it"

That's actually where the OEM chassis braces bolt up. They are missing from your car. However that is not where the oil is leaking from.

Being the passenger side of the car, inspect the oil cooler and lines, lower timing cover, oil pan, etc...

They do make oil dyes that make it easier to see where leaks originate
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:00 PM

Are any of those exceptionally challenging to fix?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Oil lines and or cooler are not hard to fix but they are not cheap for the factory pieces.

The other stuff you'll need to take everything apart to see
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:40 PM

Next question (and I am making myself look like a TOTAL dunce) but how hard is it for the oil dipstick to pop up during spirited driving? I am an idiot. I had my hood propped open and a guy was like "uhh, is there a reason your dipstick is sticking out?