Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfire help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire help!

So i threw a code the other day and went and got it checked out and it was P0301 cyclinder 1 misfire. i reset the code to see if it would come back up and it didnt. I checked the plugs and the gaps they seemed fine the car ran well on the way home and the next morning no misfire or code. this afternoon the car has misfire at idle and is not driveable, still no code. i checked for boost leaks still can find any. replaced the plugs and checked the gaps and they are still fine... im lost. i dont know how to check the coils and i dont have any friends with an evo. i hear a loud tick coming from the injector area but like i said i dont have a scan tool and its not throwing a code. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 02:35 PM

15 views and still no help anyone?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 03:15 PM

Its stupid, but check your MAF, coolant temp sensor and possibly ignition transistor.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 05:39 PM

i checked them and still nothing. on the wideband at idle i does not have a reading. and the boost gauge show that its in vacuum at -14. i dont know if that helps but the plugs are fine. when i start the car its hard to idle so i do it by pressing the gas but if you give it too much gas it dies so you have to blip the throttle, then it idles on its own but you can hear the misfire. I dont know if a video would help but i can try that if no one else has any ideas? the idea that i had is the wires or coils or one of the injectors stuck open? i still no codes are coming up

i also got shocked holding to a a wire and a coil while checking to see if they were firing i dont know if that would have anything to do with it?

Last edited by bjstrick; Jul 5, 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: for got one detail
Old Jul 5, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Buy a spark tester and check each coil do u have cams in ur car?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do a boost leak test again maybe the a coupler is bearly on or its ripped..
Old Jul 5, 2012, 06:07 PM

i checked for boost leak a couple times. i dont see or hear any boost leaks i made sure all the couplers were tight. i do have HKS 272 cams in the car.

mods
HKS 272 stock valvetrain
stock evo 9 turbo on 23psi
Megan o2 housing
HKS TBE
Megan full size radiator
greddy intercooler
Stock UICP with a APS bov
AEM boost and wideband
Old Jul 5, 2012, 09:40 PM

Crank sensor? Trigger Wheel? Cam sensor? Check all your main connectors most of which you have it seems.. But check the map sensor?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 07:04 AM

i have check all sensors and they seem fine, i re-gapped the spark plugs to .20 and it is still. i think its the wires or coils but autozone didnt have a good spark tester. they said it would be until monday until they could get a good one and they would have to special order it, they would also have to special order the coils and wires. i just ordered a spoolinup COP so i hope this helps the problem if not i know its the injectors or timing. I doubt its the timing but its always a possibility.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

i had very similar problems first starting with a missfire than a p0335 crank position sensor code. its hard to replace and check the crank sensor as its in the lower timing belt cover and i had to do a timing belt job practically to replace it :/
Old Jul 6, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is how you check you coils and wires...

Old Jul 6, 2012, 05:26 PM

thanks guys just waiting on my COP to get here then ill go from there. Thank you for all your help ! i really appreciate it
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bjstrick
i also got shocked holding to a a wire and a coil while checking to see if they were firing i dont know if that would have anything to do with it?

Huhh? If you got shocked while it was running then that deff is a problem....but the COP kit should fix that. and it said cyl 1....was that the same one that shocked you or was that only cuz u were checking for spark? Either way I would put on the new coils and just go from there
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:14 AM

i finally got the problem fixed..... the fuel filter and fuel pump grommet were both bad. the grommet was ripped and im guessing thats why i had low fuel pressure on top of the idling issues while misfiring.