Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing turbo kits & dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Tym Switzer
We wanted to make a turbo kit that was going to be reliable for you. Not some high dollar ball bearing turbo that will most likely fail on a street driven car after a few thousand miles.
Just curious about you comment regarding reliability of ball bearing turbos for street use. My understanding is that ball bearing actually increases reliability. Also ball bearing trubos are used for heavy duty diesel applications where reliability is usually a primary concern. What specifically are your reservations regarding relaibility in a street driven Evo with a state-of-the-art ball bearing cartridge (eg. garrett) other than cost that indeed is rather prohibitive? Bearing life? Oil contamination?
Old Feb 3, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is over the mail tune EMS? Will it be sufficient enough? Or will dynoflash be good enough for this setup. I'm talking about over the mail tune, not dyno tune or street tune. I was hoping that this setup will cost less than 5K. So around 6,500 will be the complete kit? Turbo kits, IC kits, cams, and EMS tuned? Peace...
Old Feb 3, 2004, 05:41 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
what size injectors are needed for the br550 setup ....basically what i need toknow is what size injectors i need to safely fuel 550 ish whp
Old Feb 3, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

880 will do it, but you may have to raise the fuel pressure. 1000cc would probably be better
Old Feb 3, 2004, 05:59 PM
Ron
Evolving Member

Originally posted by alleggerita

Just curious about you comment regarding reliability of ball bearing turbos for street use. My understanding is that ball bearing actually increases reliability. Also ball bearing trubos are used for heavy duty diesel applications where reliability is usually a primary concern. What specifically are your reservations regarding relaibility in a street driven Evo with a state-of-the-art ball bearing cartridge (eg. garrett) other than cost that indeed is rather prohibitive? Bearing life? Oil contamination?
I'm also curious about the comment about ball bearing turbos. Garrett's ball bearing turbos enjoy an astounding reputation for durability and reliability-- it's extremely difficult to kill the things. In fact ball bearings are used on all Garrett turbos on WRC, LeMans, and CART engines-- certainly these are some of the toughest tests of reliability on earth. Perhaps Tim's referring to ball bearing turbos made by manufacturers other than Garrett?
Old Feb 3, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Ron

I'm also curious about the comment about ball bearing turbos. Garrett's ball bearing turbos enjoy an astounding reputation for durability and reliability-- it's extremely difficult to kill the things. In fact ball bearings are used on all Garrett turbos on WRC, LeMans, and CART engines-- certainly these are some of the toughest tests of reliability on earth. Perhaps Tim's referring to ball bearing turbos made by manufacturers other than Garrett?
True true very true. I think they are talking about Turbonetices crap ball bearing setup. I remember Dave having to get the turbo rebuild like every month or so on the Back Half Talon. (correct me if I am wrong Dave) " In certain high thrust load long term durability test conditions the full ball bearing system exhibited over three times the thrust load capacity of a conventional bearing system." From the AGP Web site.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
We have been installing 1,000 cc injectors for the BR580 turbos and up.

The EMS through the mail should be tuned well. We will load the proper programs in them here and ship them.

The Buschur Flash is more than likely going to work out well with the BR475 kit. I am not sure if the BR580 will work with the flash, it will be asking a lot.

As for the BB turbos. I have only run one brand and had horrible luck with it. I am sure there are better turbos out there now.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
race gas ????
Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by davidbuschur

As for the BB turbos. I have only run one brand and had horrible luck with it. I am sure there are better turbos out there now.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Nice Dave Nice!
Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Whew, just finished the 11 pages up till here. I think the kit is going to turn out great. I cant wait to buy one from you once you get all your numbers out. I think the BR475 will be enough for me, dont want to go all out yet, well at least till I graduate from college. Great job David.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

dang i just read all 11 pages. dave how much is the kit going to cost in a round about price? and from what i read it sounds nice
Old Feb 7, 2004, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The turbo kit is going to be NO MORE than $2500. I actually think we are going to come in a little less than that. This is going to depend on the CNC bill which I have no clue on now.

The kit will include:
Turbo of your choice (BR475, 500, 580)
Ni-resist cast manifold
SS 02 housing
oil feed and return line
bypass line for water lines
new engine fan for radiator
Bolts and hardware.

Race gas.

Alright, we made 401 hp and 353 ft lbs to the wheels on 94 octane.

We have now drained the tank and filled it with race gas. We were having a hell of a time keeping the boost up where we wanted to test it, 27 psi or so. As a matter of fact we couldn't come close. We were seeing a peak of 25 psi but that would quickly fall off to around 22 psi.

The car did make 429 whp and 390+ ft lbs of torque with the additional tuning. Most of the power was from changing the timing curve from the race gas.

Let me explain this before I go any further. The BR475 was designed to replace the BR 20G turbo we sold for years. The 20G we made has become VERY expensive, $1350. You also needed an external wastegate with the turbo which ended up adding another $750. These left you with a $2100 bill. The MOST whp I have ever seen a 20g make was 446 whp. This was cranking the turbo up to 27-28 psi, the boost would then settle in the 23 psi range. This was in my old 1g AWD, the engine and bottom end were FULLY built, no A/C or power steering belts to rob power either.

What our goal was with this turbo was a unit that would spool as fast as the stock (and as fast as the 20G) and make the power that a 20G would.

We have hit the turbo dead on with this unit.

Now, back to the story. I called the turbo shop as I was a little disapointed in the power only making it to 429 whp. After talking with them he looked up the turbo he built and said, you should be able to make about 420 flywheel HP with that. I told him, "Well I guess we're doing pretty good, we just made that to the wheels."

Looking at what we wanted and what we have made actually makes me VERY happy. We have a turbo that has made basically 430 whp on a bone stock head and engine. The engine also has every single accessory belt on it.

I am sure porting the cylinder head, building a short block and removing the a/c and power steering from the car this turbo would surpass the 20g, and that was the goal.

So, as it stands this turbo will match the cars stock turbo's spool up (at least on the dyno it is damn near identical). We made 401 on pump gas and 429 with some additional tuning for race gas.

The old 20g in my AWD DSM at about 2900 pounds ran 10.72 at 132 mph.

I do believe what we have here is a very low 11 second turbo that can be autocrossed, road raced and just plain enjoyed on a daily basis.

I am personally very pleased with the results. I also think this is the turbo for 95% of the people out there.

Next we are going to move into the BR580 turbo. This sucker should lay down some large numbers.

Take care all,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Feb 7, 2004, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

you know i'm a newbie here but in the supra world i pretty much know the in and out's of the 2jz as well as other tuners for the supra.
i know i'm doing my research right now on the evo since i bought one, i have loved the evo for years but being in the usa we never got it, till now.
but dave i have to say as a tuner and a car fan i really do love your Research & Development on this turbo kit. as a buyer it makes me feel that once i buy this kit i would know what it could do rather then just buying a kit that says 500hp's but the manifold crack w/ only 8k-10k 'cause you know those kits are out there that won't last for the amount you paid for it.
dave keep up the great work.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn David, I think you "hit the nail on the head" for the daily driven street kit... esp for those like myself who are not willing to give up anything to get it... except money that is...
Old Feb 7, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

LOL Good job David! The guys over at precision really have no clue how to rate a turbo hp wise. All of their numbers are way off, especially the newer GT style stuff.

Are you going to throw a br500 on there or just jump up to the 580 to get a really big number. I run something very similar to the br500 on my Tsi and I love it! I think the additional airflow will really help keep the boost up by switching to this unit.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing turbo kits & dyno numbers