Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing turbo kits & dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2004, 02:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by natedogg
If you guys are probing for specifics on the turbo mechanics or airflow characteristics, don't bother. He made it pretty clear earlier in the thread that most of that stuff has to remain private lest others attempt to copy it.
No, the point is to learn more about the characteristics of the turbo on the car... not Super Secret Squirrel specs. I respect anyone wanting to protect their investment. I think you read too far into this.
Old May 25, 2004, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for attempting to analyze how I read. See how I started the post with the word if? If that's not what you're doing, then fughetaboutit. Regardless, I tried to give you my experience with the BR500 on my Talon. Did you read that part?
Old May 25, 2004, 11:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Natedogg, how is the spool up in between gears? Even though I think that the Evo 500 is a totally different turbo I guess the size may be close.
Old May 25, 2004, 02:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by natedogg
Thanks for attempting to analyze how I read. See how I started the post with the word if? If that's not what you're doing, then fughetaboutit. Regardless, I tried to give you my experience with the BR500 on my Talon. Did you read that part?
I'm too old to care to argue... it's not the point of me being here. Some of us are just looking for more on the experiences of the BR500 on the Evo. Yes it is similar to the first and second gen DSM engines, but not. I had read what you posted on your experience with the BR500 for DSM cars, and found it interesting, if not hopeful. Thank you.
Old May 25, 2004, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by superz
Natedogg, how is the spool up in between gears? Even though I think that the Evo 500 is a totally different turbo I guess the size may be close.
The transient response is pretty good. Not instantaneous like a BB setup, but it likes to stay in the boost. Like I said, its hard for me to shift it out of the boost, unless I'm grandma shifting in which case I'm probably not WOT anyway.

Originally Posted by Zeus
I'm too old to care to argue... it's not the point of me being here. Some of us are just looking for more on the experiences of the BR500 on the Evo. Yes it is similar to the first and second gen DSM engines, but not. I had read what you posted on your experience with the BR500 for DSM cars, and found it interesting, if not hopeful. Thank you.
Its all good oldtimer. Just trying to help out.
Old May 26, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry I didn't answer the question. The BR440 on the dyno has the exact same spool up as the stock turbo. I have not had the turbo on the street on the EVO, but I am expecting very little difference in spool up. The BR500 is laggier, making full boost around 4,000 rpm. The BR440 made 443 whp and the BR500 made 504 whp.

The BR580 is currently on an EVO. We tried making a flash for the car but the WHP results were much lower than we expected on pump gas and at 20 psi of boost. The car will be back here on Monday the 24th of May. We are installing an AEM EMS on the car and are going to see if the car wakes up like we think it will. There is a chance that the BR580 just won't work well with the flash at low boost on pump gas. The BR580 on the EVO we have here was an absolute feaking terror, one of the fastest street cars I have driven in. Spool up was magical. This is not the same experience the owner of the other 580 equipped EVO is having. Drivability is fine but the overall power just isn't there. We are hoping, as I said, that it is a matter of fuel management and tuning.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old May 26, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

David,

So does that mean that you do have a flash for the BR440 and the BR500??? It is just the BR580 that the flash does not work well with?

Is my understanding below correct???

Turbo Spool WHP Gas Flash
BR440 stock(3500ish) 443 pump yes
BR500 4000rpm 504 pump yes
BR580 ?
Old May 26, 2004, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Sorry I didn't answer the question. The BR440 on the dyno has the exact same spool up as the stock turbo. I have not had the turbo on the street on the EVO, but I am expecting very little difference in spool up. The BR500 is laggier, making full boost around 4,000 rpm. The BR440 made 443 whp and the BR500 made 504 whp.

The BR580 is currently on an EVO. We tried making a flash for the car but the WHP results were much lower than we expected on pump gas and at 20 psi of boost. The car will be back here on Monday the 24th of May. We are installing an AEM EMS on the car and are going to see if the car wakes up like we think it will. There is a chance that the BR580 just won't work well with the flash at low boost on pump gas. The BR580 on the EVO we have here was an absolute feaking terror, one of the fastest street cars I have driven in. Spool up was magical. This is not the same experience the owner of the other 580 equipped EVO is having. Drivability is fine but the overall power just isn't there. We are hoping, as I said, that it is a matter of fuel management and tuning.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I am willing ot bet it would be close to the out put of the br500 on pump gas and the same boost level. Two large turbos will both flow the same amount of air at the same psi. On a 2g gsx, a dsmlink user logged the same amount of airflow from tdo6 20g, tdo6 50 trim and tdo6 56 trim (65 lb/min wheel) at 25 psi. In this case you may be using differnt turbine wheels in the br500 and the br580 which would yield a small difference but not enough to make up the lag of the big boy.

The br500 used in the dsm and the evo are the exact same turbo and is probably VERY similar to what I run on my car
Old May 26, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

The above part about the two large turbos flowing the same will obviouslt not be true once the limits of the smaller unit is approached.
Old May 27, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
All of the turbos can be run on pump gas, you will just have to limit the boost.

The BR440 made 443 whp on race gas, 401 on pump gas.

The STOCK EVO 8 turbo winging the hell out of it on race gas made 390 whp.

The BR500 made 505 whp on race gas, we never dyno'd it on pump gas.

The BR580 has not been dyno'd on an EVO8 at all yet.

More results to come.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old May 27, 2004, 01:05 PM

when it will appear those kit in the web page davis?
Old May 27, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

David,
I think most of us here are interested in pump gas whp. When you give us whp figures, most think that is pump gas output. Please indicate what gas your running before spitting out whp figures. Also, that can prevent people from asking you questions how what gas your running over and over again. That in turn can save you time. Thx
Old May 27, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

By the way, what will we need to run the br440 to get 400whp on pump gas?
Old May 27, 2004, 02:47 PM
E1

thats cool bro
Old May 27, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Some people should read more carefully, or perhaps even read buschur's previous posts on this thread if they haven't already, BEFORE they post. For instance, he clearly indicated horsepower and a combination of pump and race gas results on his third post on page 25. Other questions have already been answered as well. I don't understand why people post a question and wait a day or so for buschur to respond, instead of taking 5-10 minutes to get the answer by searching his previous posts. No wonder this thread is 30 pages and counting.

That said, I am looking forward to hearing more about the stock turbo upgrade, and hope the buschur tech forum and new parts/pics will be up and online soon.

Last edited by 95GSXtoEVO8; May 27, 2004 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing turbo kits & dyno numbers