Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fluid leaking where Transfer Case and Transmission Meet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluid leaking where Transfer Case and Transmission Meet

I am getting ready to do the HG on the Evo8 I just bought a few weeks ago and car has been sitting in the garage for a couple days and noticed some leaking off the tcase (see picture). I wiped it up this morning and 12 hours later, the fluid is back. What does this look like to you guys? What would be leaking with the car just sitting there? I know there are two o-rings between the transmission and the t-case. Could these cause this? Any help would be appreciated!

This is a rebuilt Stage 3 t-case from Shep and a new rebuilt tranny from Shep as well. Was put in the car before I bought it.

Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Bet you one of the two seals on the t-case are either cut or got damaged during the install of the t-case. If one is not careful while mating the t-case to the tranny one of the two seals can become damaged and can allow fluid to leak. Its just a bummer that you werent there during the install so in order to check them you have to take the t-case off the tranny. Lets hope its something else so you dont have to do that. Also, if you do have to take the t-case off the tranny make sure you inspect the flanges very well to ensure they are not cracked and also make sure to torque the t-case bolts to the correct torque and not what your elbow can handle.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have read about O ring that makes leak between there. Might wanna search, there are few threads about with good info.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My vote is the o-rings as well. During install if they slide out a bit while your getting the tcase and tranny mated up it will definately cause a leak.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by memphis raynes
I am getting ready to do the HG on the Evo8 I just bought a few weeks ago and car has been sitting in the garage for a couple days and noticed some leaking off the tcase (see picture). I wiped it up this morning and 12 hours later, the fluid is back. What does this look like to you guys? What would be leaking with the car just sitting there? I know there are two o-rings between the transmission and the t-case. Could these cause this? Any help would be appreciated!

This is a rebuilt Stage 3 t-case from Shep and a new rebuilt tranny from Shep as well. Was put in the car before I bought it.

Is that harness under your tcase the starter wire? Did you reroute that? The starter wire normally runs above the tranny down to the starter.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Orings.. pull the tcase off and replace them.. Just careful when re installing. They tear easy.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

def the orings i had the same prob and it looks about to be the same amount of fluid i had, shep did mine also but he forgot to put a new oring on the outside and i totally forgot to check before i installed and had to pull the t case again to put the seal in, once i did that havent had a leak since !
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:45 AM

Thanks guys. Not looking forward to pulling the T-Case.. but I guess I am going to have to.

Yes, that is the starter wire. The battery is relocated to the trunk.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yah man just bite the bullet sure beats paying for a rebuild... ;-)

Thanks guys. Not looking forward to pulling the T-Case.. but I guess I am going to have to.

Yes, that is the starter wire. The battery is relocated to the trunk.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:40 PM

What fluid should I be using in the T-Case knowing that it is a Shep Stage 3 build with a QUAIFE LSD..

Also, what should I be running in the Tranny?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What fluid should I be using in the T-Case knowing that it is a Shep Stage 3 build with a QUAIFE LSD..

Also, what should I be running in the Tranny?
Redline Lightweight Shockproof.