Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Divided Wastegate issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Divided Wastegate issue

MODS... PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS IS IN THE RIGHT SECTION!!!

Well I finished the setup in March and since I have to get the car ready for the shootout... It is time I address the issues.

I habe 2 Tial MVS wastegates on my forward facing FP Black setup. When putting the setup together, I decided to put my wastegate springs at 24.99psi... so I used the Black, yellow, and blue springs as per the sheet Tial provided. (now hear me out on all this)

I put the car on the dyno and noticed that there was an issue. The turbo would hit an instant 30psi and run lean (as it should). My tuner took the boost controller off just to run the wastegates alone and we were getting the same issue. He told me to take the car off the dyno and take a spring out. I took the black spring out and left the blue and yellow. Those 2 springs were supposed to be 15psi I believe. It wound up being too late to throw the car back on the dyno... so we had to street tune the car.

We start to street tune the car and we noticed the same spike at 30psi immediately and we knew we had a real issue. We took the wastegates off and attached a leakdown tester to each individually to see when they open up. With the Yellow and Blue spring... it was full opened at 40psi. So we took off the blue spring and left the Yellow spring (.5 bar) in there. We then attached the leakdown tester to the wastegate and noticed that it was fully opened at 19psi.

We began to street tune the car again and out of the .5 bar spring, it was boosting at 19psi. We then hooked up the boost controller (Hallman MBC with wheel) and could only get out 25-26psi. Can anyone help me out in letting me know if I am doing something wrong? I need to get a retune and I want to make sure the car is working properly. I really want to crank up the boost on this turbo.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post a picture of the manifold....sounds like you have a priority issue
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

here is another angle...

Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

yep, priority issue...take the gates off completely and do a 3rd gear pull...let me know how much boost you generate
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by TiALSport
yep, priority issue...take the gates off completely and do a 3rd gear pull...let me know how much boost you generate
I'm guessing by priority issue you are meaning that the wastegate placement off the manifold correct??

Like how drivers side gate just about 90*'s off the mani and is very short
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

I was going to ask the same question about the priority issue... but gsrboi beat me to it.

Tial:
Please forgive me for my lack of technical background...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I'm guessing by priority issue you are meaning that the wastegate placement off the manifold correct??

Like how drivers side gate just about 90*'s off the mani and is very short
correct, the exhaust gas can not flow directly to the wastegate and when it starts to really move it will bypass the wastegate port pretty much all together
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Yup, exhaust flow does not like turning. So having the wastegates placed at a 90 degree angle from the flow makes for very poor wastegate flow/control.

Below is a Cosworth ChampCar engine showing proper wastegate priority:

Basically, you want as shallow of an angle as possible for the wastegate flow coming off the exhaust flow. This ChampCar has zero degrees
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

so the driver side is a poor design or the passenger (left side in pic) is poorly designed?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BOOSTINAT30PSI
so the driver side is a poor design or the passenger (left side in pic) is poorly designed?
C. BOTH are poorly designed.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Ok... Well i just came back from a little drive with my all motor evo. iam uploading a video of one of the short pulls i made. the longer vids wont upload. the boost gauge went to 0 psi... And stayed there each and every time. now what should i do?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTINAT30PSI
Ok... Well i just came back from a little drive with my all motor evo. iam uploading a video of one of the short pulls i made. the longer vids wont upload. the boost gauge went to 0 psi... And stayed there each and every time. now what should i do?
all the way to redline in 3rd gear?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

did two pulls all the way to around 6500... the one i caught a proper video of was only to 4500... but yes.. i did 2 pull pulls to 6500. those were the longest pulls of my life and loud as hell!

Last edited by BOOSTINAT30PSI; Jul 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
all the extra ports on the gates are plugged? boost lines 1/4" i.d.? where is each line hooked up?

Quick Reply: Divided Wastegate issue