Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch tech -- why do ours suck?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch tech -- why do ours suck?!

So there's something I just don't understand at all.

EVOs are *NOT* the only 4WD sports cars out there. Moreover, they are *NOT* the only 4WD sports cars capable of ~5.0 sec 0-60 runs and low 13-second 1/4 mile runs. But EVOs*DO* seem to be the only car whose clutch will only sustain 5-10 such runs before absolutely dying.

And so here's what I don't understand. With RWD cars -- indeed, even with my 2000 Mustang with just over 100,000 miles now ... I launch hard all the time... yet I've only changed my clutch ONCE.

I understand that it's next to impossible to get all 4 wheels to spin at least a little on the launch, and so the clutch has to be the one to give ... but then I often slip the clutch on my Mustang too .. and no big deal.

I guess I'm just wondering why our clutches suck so bad, and why we don't just ALL get a great clutch straight away?

Now truth betold- i *DO* know that, as Top Gear demonstrated, even the Lambo Murc with almost 600 HP couldn't have any wheelspin also, and so its clutch had to be slipped as well ... so I guess the point is you just can't do spin 4 wheels no matter HOW much power you've got ... within reason anyway.

So yeah what's up with the clutch?!

Thanks,

--Marc
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:40 AM
Evolving Member

my OZ lancer's clutch went out at 21,000 miles. i think mitsu royally messed of with their clutches. My srings were all loose so it chattered bad and slipped a little. pad was still ok.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 04:03 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
The vast majority of clutches, and particularly those on Japanese cars, will not stand up to repeated hard launches. The Mustang is an exception (as the transmission was designed to accomodate 350+ HP), not the rule.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 05:27 AM

I'm on 31,000 miles with my 98 supra turbo's original clutch. Although the car is stock with no mods, there are no smells or problems when launching (I wish I could say that about my evo).
I knew going into the evo that the clutch was the discussion of potential problems. I was prepared to replace it as soon as goes out. The evo is a great car and as long as you are aware of the problems, prior to ownership, you will not be dissappointed.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

IMHO, the clutch is a delibrate weak point in the driveline to prevent you from potentially damaging the transmission or driveline on a hard launch.

You just have to learn to drive around it.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I launched hard several times. Now it is at 10k and the clutch is still good. I got to the point where I dont burn my clutch anymore. I launched 3 times in a roll one time and still can't smell the clutch burning. I wish they'll import the TT supra. Gayness...
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:27 AM
kam

Re: clutch tech -- why do ours suck?!

Originally posted by crosvs

I understand that it's next to impossible to get all 4 wheels to spin at least a little on the launch, and so the clutch has to be the one to give ...

Now truth betold- i *DO* know that, as Top Gear demonstrated, even the Lambo Murc with almost 600 HP couldn't have any wheelspin also, and so its clutch had to be slipped as well ... so I guess the point is you just can't do spin 4 wheels no matter HOW much power you've got ... within reason anyway.

An almost stock Evo can spin all 4 tires with no problem with a Exedy/Cusco Twin plate clutch.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A question and a thought here:

The new, braided-steel clutch line is supposed to be an improvement. Nothing statistical that I've seen yet, but less smell and less mobile clutch point in pedal travel. I wonder if this helps the GENERAL use of the clutch. Anyone weigh in on this?

And my thought is that pro Evo drivers must be using something non-stock. Do we know what is commonly used?

All that being said, I know this thread's more about 'power-use' of the clutch. My day-to-day driving has clutch smell when I get out of the car - and sometimes I can even smell it in the car. I'm not the greatest manual transmission driver in the world, but my first clutch was twenty years ago. I KNOW something about driving it and shouldn't have that trouble with day-to-day driving; therefore my reference to the clutch line.

If you're trying to slip all four (three due to no front LSD, seems to me) and do it regularly then you're definitely going to need a heavy-duty replacement. My first turbo car with clutch lasted 40,000 miles in '88. My last clutch lasted 118,000 miles when I traded it in on my Evo. Both vehicles were autocrossed and driven hard from stops. Both were 4 cylinders but hi-performance engines.

I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to beat on it and abuse it, expect to replace it. If you're going to use it hard but not unreasonably so, the thing should last - perhaps that clutch line is the ticket to help.

Just my $.02!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm of the thought that there's less room in the transmission for a larger flywheel with front and 4 wheel drive transmissions.

This leaves two options for holding more power, brass pucks or higher spring values on the pressure plate. Neither are good for the average consumer so what you get is a clutch that suits the average consumer. I think it 'happens' to be the weak point but I don't feel as though it was deliberate.

Alex
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I think the stock clutch line and restrictor makes you unnecessarily over-slip the clutch when engaging...especially in high power applications such as launching. I too had this problem the first 4 or 5 thousand miles...no matter what I did, it seemed I was always fighting the clutch.

Then I got me a stainless steel clutch line and removed the restrictor pill. Whoa, what a difference. Feels like a normal car now and I can slip the clutch properly without worry. Does this mean I do 5k rpm launches? No. But if I did I know that I would not overslip the clutch into destruction. So far this is the best thing I have done to the car...and would recommend it to anyone that actually knows how to drive an AWD car.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Ya see, here is the rub......... I have read a few post that a persons clutch went out, they put a new one in, and then, not being the fault of the new improved clutch,, they had some tranny trouble.

Their warrenty was denied because they had an after market clutch? This dosnt seem far, or right! So what is one to do once thier clutch goes, replace it with a factory one? Or go for a better after market clutch?

This is what makes me not like my Evo as much as I did when I first got it, getting bent oer with the ****subishi service!!!!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Do the SS clutch line mod, and remove that restrictor. I can't say enough good things about this. It really does make a huge difference. After I did this the clutch felt much closer to my Supra, (which has an ACT street clutch) in terms of solid engagement and holding on harder launches.

As always though, the best performance upgrade for your money is the good driver mod.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

The clutch is a weak point, and for good reason.. You get a lot of shmoes that get into their first AWD car and think" Hey, let's light up all four tires!" Then instead of the tranny taking a ****, the clutch lets go and protects the rest of the cogs... (Sounds kinda smart huh?) Although, Mitsubishi's have never been a top dog of trannys in the first place... Like it was said before, you gotta learn how to DRIVE it, not DOG it... I've had an AWD Mitsu for about 11 years now, and thankfully never broke one.. My EVO now has a couple launches, and still going good at 14,000 miles.. But many friends have broken some.. Do not power shift, or launch it a lot.. It will break... Build the engine to make the power, not the shifting... Just a little past knowledge.. Peace out fellas!!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

IMHO, the clutch is a delibrate weak point in the driveline to prevent you from potentially damaging the transmission or driveline on a hard launch.
I agree. I don't think the clutch is necessarily week though. I've got 20k on my original clutch and launch it all the time. Granted this is not my first AWD drive car.

IMO its all in the driving technique. If you slip the clutch on launches and you can smell it, your clutch is gonna have a short life. It burns of the wearing surface and puts hot spots on the fly wheel. I launch at little over 5k and let it go quik,without actually side stepping the pedal. I have smelled my clutch burn only one time launching like that and have had 0 problems from the drive train.

BTW..I've had all 4 tires break loose on many occasions when launching bone stock.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

guys, if you want to play you must pay. so just deal with it .

I have 22,500 miles on the stock clutch.

what is cheaper a clutch or a trans.

Quick Reply: clutch tech -- why do ours suck?!